Bags

Fairways & Greens
Reaction score
About a month ago I fractured my elbow and did some damage to the ligaments in my wrist. I'll know in the next couple days whether surgery is in my future. Needless to say my golf season has been put on hold indefinitely. I'm unable to return to work at the present time so here's something that I've been thinking in my painful, "free" time...

When I'm able to swing a club again there's a possibility my swing will be different due to the damage from the injury. This leads me to the realization of needing to practice more than usual, as I will be "rehabilitating" and possibly learning a new swing.

With this in mind, I decided to purchase a shag bag and was a bit surprised in what I found. The prices varied from about $10 to $50+. My question for those of you with shag bags, is there really a big difference? I'd like to purchase one that will last and if a $50 bag is truly better quality then that's the way I'll go but if not...

I'm looking for a bag similar to this:

http://madewellproducts.shptron.com...aa6828500b768b817883914198&ckey=73896.0.0.0.0

Thanks in advance!

You honestly pay for what you get with shag bags. The original shag bag is the best one to go with. It runs about $39.99 I believe or $49.99
The cheaper shag bags will rip within months of use and won't hold up compared to the better shag bags.
All in all, I would suggest going for the more expensive shag bag for a longer lasting experience and more enjoyment.

I just purchased a brand new Original Shag Bag on eBay for $39. I decided it was worth the extra $20 over the cheap version at Golfmart when I saw how many old versions of the Original Shag Bag (10-15 yrs old) were available for sale on eBay - meaning it holds up over time...

You know, the above 3 posters are absolutely correct. I have the original shag bag for 3 years now and is as good as new. I tried going cheaper and they never lasted. 3 previous bags fell apart, clips break, zipper fails or material falls apart. The original is the way to go.

Thanks for the info!!! The original it will be!

I just use a Crown Royal bag. It's about $45 and comes with a free bottle of whiskey! They're very durable, I've been using the same one for the last two seasons and it still is in good shape. I usually keep about 15 balls in it with room for more.

i got one on craigslist for $10 about two years ago, it's still in perfect condition.. not hard to find one cheap if you don't mind going used.

Decided to bump this because after researching for one, I went with "The Original". Heard nothing but good things about the Madewell product. I was also looking at the Practice Stick which is a plastic tube that fits in your bag, but it only holds 24 balls, which in all actuality is plenty. My 5 yo is getting interested in the game and we live across the street from a big park that has a nice grass retention area where we can practice.

So getting this shag bag will help.

I've used shag bags and shag tubes and I preference is to use a shag tube. The tubes do not typically hold as many balls as the bags, but the tubes hold enough before they need to be reloaded. The tubes are also lighter than the bags.

If you do go the shag tube route avoid ones that have plastic tubes or clips (the part at the bottom that allows ball into the tube but will not let them out). Plastic clips just do not last. Most of the shag tubes on Amazon are entirely made of plastic, or they have plastic clips.

Here's an example of a quality shag tube.

61GS1-LFJhL._SL1500_.jpg

Avoid these because of the plastic...

31AWs0dixhL._SX466_.jpg

31MhN38tYxL._AC_UL320_SR168,320_.jpg

Hope that helps.

I decided to go with "The Original" shag bag from Madewell. My decision was based on the fact that I wouldn't be bringing my bag when I start teaching my 5 yo. I'd bring a wedge or two and the bag will be just fine.

Thanks for info.

I decided to go with "The Original" shag bag from Madewell. My decision was based on the fact that I wouldn't be bringing my bag when I start teaching my 5 yo. I'd bring a wedge or two and the bag will be just fine.

Thanks for info.

Good call! We had 3 or 4 at the course I use to work at. We had them for years before I got there, the red cloth was faded, but in the 3 years I worked there, they never failed.

I have one of the original ones that is extremely old. It was given to me by an old duffer who is a greenskeeper. It's laying under the bench in my garage not being used. The bag itself feels like its a vinyl/plastic instead of cloth.

The course I go to most has a few of the original shag bags for use on the short game area, and they are solid.

I used to have one of the plastic putter tubes before I moved and it was great until the plastic clip busted. I would 2nd 2bad4u on if you get a tube, don't get a plastic one.

Back