JMB3

Reaction score
I'm a Callaway homer and huge CPO fan. I've been back golfing for only 3 years now, and I have a ridiculous amount of points accumulated on CPO. The CS is always top notch and most "like new" clubs I've purchased don't even appear to have been hit. As a consumer, I feel like they've spoiled me.

With this week's CPO sales, I ordered a "like new" Epic driver and 3 hybrid, trading in my old Epic driver with too light of a shaft. I skipped out on a firm picnic to watch the PGA, so I was home when my order arrived. I was giddy to say the least. When I opened the box and removed the clubs, I was stunned to see some cosmetic crown damage/imperfections. Neither club appears to have been hit. Outside of the slightly dusty grips, and the crown issues, the clubs look absolutely brand new.

I called CS and was treated well, as always. Unfortunately, they did not have any inventory for either club, so an exchange was not possible. My only options are to (a) return them or (b) take a partial refund for the "lesser condition." Neither of those options is very satisfying. I appreciate the offer on the partial refund, but I think the issues with both clubs would be too distracting to my OCD eye: as the pics show, the hybrid has a chip on the speed step and the driver has, to me, a noticeable scuff mark in the center of the crown. It's hard to see the latter from the pic, but it's very rough to the touch.

So my questions are two-fold:

1. Are the clubs "like new" to you? Because of my past experiences, I suspect maybe I've just been spoiled. If that's the case, maybe I can convince my OCD eye that it's fine and keep both (for the great sales price).

2. Does anyone have a sales rep who may be willing to hold/call me if the inventory does come in--i.e., an exchange at a later date for the same price? I do want both clubs, but I'm not necessarily in a rush, so I'd be willing to wait, if need be.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I still love CPO and plan to continue using them as a primary club purchasing option.

Hybrid.jpgDriver.jpg

Like-new is like new - the hybrid has a gash and the head - one can see "roughness" but I'd have to hold it in hand to see what you see.

I'd get a refund or a find a friend who will go through new CPO inventory.

The driver looks in like new condition to me. The hybrid not so, but how was it packaged? Did it maybe get damaged in shipment? I would keep the driver and return the hybrid.

The driver looks in like new condition to me. The hybrid not so, but how was it packaged? Did it maybe get damaged in shipment? I would keep the driver and return the hybrid.

Yeah, I thought that may have been the case too. Each had its own plastic bag, but the heads were on the same end of the box without headcovers--which were individually packaged and placed on the other end with adjustment tools.

I also have been spoiled by Callaway Pre-Owned, and from your photos it appears that if they were classified as "like new," they certainly are not. But its difficult to tell without actually seeing them in person.

Have you tried using auto polishing compound on either of them, or auto "scratch doctor?" The scratches may be too far gone for this to work, but maybe worth a try. I know that I've tried both of these with some success.

Hope things work out for you.

Found some Big Bertha OS Irons on sale from CPO in "good" condition. I read the description of ratings but wonder how dinged up they would be. Anybody buy "good" condition Irons from CPO?

My suggestion to anyone looking at CPO is to find the club(s) you are interested in and then call CPO and speak with a sales rep.
My experience is that the sales staff will personally check the inventory and give you a detailed description of what you are getting in your order.
Once you establish a relationship with a salesperson, you can expect the service level to go from great to unbelievable.
I often get a better price than that shown online when I speak with a sales rep.
All that being said, I have ordered "good" condition clubs and am happy with their condition at the price point I purchased them. Sometimes I am looking to experiment with a club or a shaft and the good condition is a value. Shafts from "average" clubs are a real steal.

Wow, that's unfortunate. I always seem to have the opposite happen, the clubs come in better condition than I expect. If it were me I would probably return them and wait until they have not inventory come in down the road.

Wow, that's unfortunate. I always seem to have the opposite happen, the clubs come in better condition than I expect. If it were me I would probably return them and wait until they have not inventory come in down the road.

That's been my general experience too. I returned them today. With the great sale at Budget Golf, I was actually able to get a brand new Epic driver with same shaft for only $50 more ($288), so that worked out quite well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for new inventory on the hybrids, particularly when CPO runs another sale.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

That isn't "like new" in my books.

I'd send it back, personally. Or at the very least reach out. Were they in headcovers? Do you think it happened during shipping?

That isn't "like new" in my books.

I'd send it back, personally. Or at the very least reach out. Were they in headcovers? Do you think it happened during shipping?

No, they weren't in headcovers, unfortunately. And the heads were on the same end of the box. I suspect maybe they rattled around during shipping, because I've ordered a dozen(s) of "like new" clubs before without any issue. Hard to tell from the pic, but the driver has a rough spot with lots of little indentations, almost like the hybrid may have been sliding up and smacking it during shipping.

Back