darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
So my two-man scramble group is heading to Tahoe in mid September. There is one course locked in, and it is the centerpiece of the trip...Edge something or other, 250 bucks a pop, have our tee time booked. We plan to play an 18 and a 9 Saturday, same Sunday. Outside of that course, we are open to suggestions. Thing is, there are a few parameters.

The group has...modest golf skills lets say. Average drives are 170, 185, 200 and 240. (the 170/240 are one team, the 185/200 the other). Outside of that round, prefer to not spend a lot on the round. They were not up to play Chambers Bay for a hundred. If it was fifty they might. And three of us are paying the freight for the trip to help our buddy out.

I am thinking they are going to get sticker shock in Tahoe. Quick glance seems most of the playable tracks are triple digit. Seems likely we might want to drive an hour or so (staying at the Worldmark resort wherever that is) and play a nice but not bank-breaking course. I personally am not up for playing goat tracks on my pseudo-vacation.

So looking for a nice course within driving distance of the Nevada side of Tahoe that is modestly priced.

For those familiar with the area...and Frank, do some scouting on your outing...any suggestions? If nothing else I might just golfnow hot tee times for them but any guidance appreciated

So my two-man scramble group is heading to Tahoe in mid September. There is one course locked in, and it is the centerpiece of the trip...Edge something or other, 250 bucks a pop, have our tee time booked. We plan to play an 18 and a 9 Saturday, same Sunday. Outside of that course, we are open to suggestions. Thing is, there are a few parameters.

The group has...modest golf skills lets say. Average drives are 170, 185, 200 and 240. (the 170/240 are one team, the 185/200 the other). Outside of that round, prefer to not spend a lot on the round. They were not up to play Chambers Bay for a hundred. If it was fifty they might. And three of us are paying the freight for the trip to help our buddy out.

I am thinking they are going to get sticker shock in Tahoe. Quick glance seems most of the playable tracks are triple digit. Seems likely we might want to drive an hour or so (staying at the Worldmark resort wherever that is) and play a nice but not bank-breaking course. I personally am not up for playing goat tracks on my pseudo-vacation.

So looking for a nice course within driving distance of the Nevada side of Tahoe that is modestly priced.

For those familiar with the area...and Frank, do some scouting on your outing...any suggestions? If nothing else I might just golfnow hot tee times for them but any guidance appreciated
Paging @itsopeningday

Paging @itsopeningday

It will be tough to find very affordable yet solid courses in that area mainly because the courses aren't open all year... so prices are little higher and if people didn't want to pay $100 for Chambers...then I am not really sure what they are looking for. I would just look out for deals online and shoot for twilight times to give yourself the best rates.

There might be someone else who can give you a better idea of something near South Lake but the courses that I have played up in North Lake Tahoe will run a little high. Wish I could be of more help!

You might look at Lake Tahoe Golf Course, right off Hwy 50 just a couple of miles southwest of South Lake Tahoe. Its been a long time since I've played there, but always really enjoyed it. Depending on what day you play, and what time, rates range from $40 to $90. Here's their website: https://www.laketahoegc.com/

I used to play it mid-week, and walked it. Not a real tough course, flatter than you would expect up in the mountains like it is, very scenic, with the Truckee River running through it.

We played Edgewood, Coyote Moon, Gray's crossing, and Old Greenwood on our Tahoe golf trip. Not sure any of those fit the bill, but I do recall most of the courses having pretty good twilight specials, which can lead to pics like this (#17 at Edgewood):

23926618_10103976965067013_933262182908639965_o.jpg

You might look at Lake Tahoe Golf Course, right off Hwy 50 just a couple of miles southwest of South Lake Tahoe. Its been a long time since I've played there, but always really enjoyed it. Depending on what day you play, and what time, rates range from $40 to $90. Here's their website: https://www.laketahoegc.com/

I used to play it mid-week, and walked it. Not a real tough course, flatter than you would expect up in the mountains like it is, very scenic, with the Truckee River running through it.

that would be Johns favorite course of the bunch sounds like. Up here around Portland his favorite courses are Skamania Lodge and the Resort at the Mountain. Neither course is particular good for the golf itself...I have privately referred to the Resort as a glorified goat track, it is not particularly well maintained the times I have been there and outside of the rock hole, cannot think of a memorable hole and if you take that rock out it is a 300 yard par 4 with sticker bushes down the right side. But the views are spectacular so he doesn't notice the golf actually kind of sucks there. I will for sure peg this one.

gorgeous pic and another John will be big fan of

It will be tough to find very affordable yet solid courses in that area mainly because the courses aren't open all year... so prices are little higher and if people didn't want to pay $100 for Chambers...then I am not really sure what they are looking for. I would just look out for deals online and shoot for twilight times to give yourself the best rates.

There might be someone else who can give you a better idea of something near South Lake but the courses that I have played up in North Lake Tahoe will run a little high. Wish I could be of more help!

that is sort of my thought as well...I don't think they are truly prepared for the cost. I am thinking driving to Reno or somewhere nearby might give more...uh...in their anticipated range. I suspect to play what they consider reasonable courses we will be traveling.

Side note: When I play on my own, I tend to have the radio going at a fairly reasonable level, play rather swiftly and have no issue with joining or being joined and going either music or none while wearing comfortable clothes. These guys consider music on the course a capital offense, hate playing with strangers because of fear of embarrassing themselves with a bad shot, and believe the dress code established when men wore hats and suits still applies...the things we do to hang with friends ;-)

Also check out Toiyabe Golf Club. It's in Nevada, little less then an hour from South Lake Tahoe. Nice course. Just remember that in Nevada, the winds tend to pick up in the afternoon.

Also check out Toiyabe Golf Club. It's in Nevada, little less then an hour from South Lake Tahoe. Nice course. Just remember that in Nevada, the winds tend to pick up in the afternoon.

dropped that one in my growing Cozi list

Back