Stepping through your shot (a la Gary Player)

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Some of my best shots come when I do like Gary Player and step through my shot after impact. Good trajectory, nice distance and direction and just an overall great feeling. I wish I could make myself do this all the time, but when I think about it and do it, the results aren't as good. But if it just happens, that's when my best shots happen.

Wish I could do it naturally every full shot. Anyone else make a habit of this? Freddie, what are your thoughts on taking a step toward your target?

It's a drill I do periodically when I feel like my hips are stopping during the downswing. I'll take some practice swings and do this.

I do this sometimes in practice to make sure that I'm getting myself through and not hanging back.

I need to try this on the range. Perhaps give me a better hip turn.

I do it when I start pulling the ball off target. Seems to help get me back in sync.

I'll do it every now and then on the range, however I feel I need to incorporate it more in my practice and play when things with the swing go awry.

This is a drill I was doing in lessons last year to try and help me with my weight shift. It was an extreme move, but sometimes you need to feel the extreme vs what you're doing wrong so you can find that place in between that works for you. I hit some absolute blasts while doing it. For the record, I still have the weight shift issues though :D

Back