Consistently missing putts to the left

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve noticed a trend with my putting. I’m miss every putt to the left side of the hole. Doesn’t matter uphill or downhill. Almost all of my putts are burning the left edge or totally missing. I realize there’s a ton of reasons this could be between set up, grip pressure, type of putter and so on. Any ideas on a fix?

I’ll try to get a video of my stroke in here tomorrow

Sent from HTX

So funny thing about this post is that i was having the same problem when i was putting with my Scotty Cameron a couple months ago, so i did the most rational thing possible and went and bought a new putter. I ended up going with the Taylor Made Spider with blast technology. Anywho, after 20 putts with the new putter and the motion sensor set up my trend was my putter face was 1.5* closed at impact. Blew me away, made total sense on missing putts though, so for me i moved the ball slightly further back in my stance, and rotated my right hand ever so slightly to the right at setup. (I putt with a traditional grip) and with some reps got more and more comfortable and had putts rolling on line again.

I’ve noticed a trend with my putting. I’m miss every putt to the left side of the hole. Doesn’t matter uphill or downhill. Almost all of my putts are burning the left edge or totally missing. I realize there’s a ton of reasons this could be between set up, grip pressure, type of putter and so on. Any ideas on a fix?

Sent from HTX

You are likely addressing the ball too close to it.

Sent from HTX

Sounds to me like your face angle is closed to your line.

I don't know if you're into training aids, but I had a slightly closed face at impact too, and my instructor talked me into getting a putting arc. One putting lesson with the arc was all it took to fix it. Now, it's just routine maintenance so I don't fall back into the old stroke. The boost in confidence it gave me with the putter is amazing.

Sounds to me like your face angle is closed to your line.

Any ideas for a fix? Aside from the one mentioned above

Sent from HTX

Sent from HTX
Put the ball further back in the stance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

When it comes to setup/aiming a putter, the design can have a huge impact.

I consistently missed right with my #7 and during a fitting using SAM PuttLab I learned that I set it up right of the target. I dropped the design eventually and went to a TM Spider Tour and no longer have that issue. But I did have the issue with some TM Spider models with different necks.

Last edited:

Sent from HTX

FWIW, I have the same issue. According to a SAM PuttLab fitting, I have a slight out to in swing. Freddie is the guy to help with a swing change. My simpleton adjustment is aiming at the right edge. It's harder than it sounds because my natural tendency is left side of the cup.

Sent from HTX

This is coming from my experience on the matter from a few years ago. Start simple. I was missing putts to the left and all it took to fix the problem was to switch to a lighter (in weight) grip. I went from a Scotty Cameron Pistolini (74g) to a Pittard's (58g.) It made a whole world of difference.

I say change the easy things first. It that doesn't work, then work on your putting stroke.

get a new putter, come on you know you want to

The obvious answer is to aim farther right. But that was just for grins.

Like you said, it could be a lot of things, so I look forward to seeing your video. You can also start with some obvious setup stuff. Like knowing which is your dominant eye, getting that eye over the ball and neither inside or outside, so you don't have any sight problems aligning the clubface in a specific direction.

We can also eliminate some possibilities. Since you are always miss left we can eliminate over or under-reading the break, speed, and ball roll issues.

May just be me but I find the amount of toe hang makes a difference. Putters with a lot of toe hang I miss left more, face balanced putters I seem to miss right more and putters with a small amount of toe hang seem to work better for me. The Ping system probably explains it better.

Some solid advice in this one. You have some things to think about. Is start simple, alignment, and work from there. Maybe grip next with current putter. Then I’d look at your putter as it relates to your stroke.

Please upload the video when you can.

op- do you ever do the chalk line drill on the green? it's pretty humbling (and can be incredibly frustrating) when you see just how off your alignment and stroke is when forced to putt down a straight line.

op- do you ever do the chalk line drill on the green? it's pretty humbling (and can be incredibly frustrating) when you see just how off your alignment and stroke is when forced to putt down a straight line.

If you don’t have or want to get a chalk line, you could use two skewers or similar objects and some string to putt under.

$_57.GIF

It may take a little more effort to do, but one putter fitting trick is to use a laser behind the hole. You set up and then have someone turn the laser on to see where you are aimed. It may take some reflective material/sticker on the putter face to work.

Edel-fitting.jpg

I took a putting lesson last year when I was consistently missing left - my instructor put an alignment rod across my forearms at address, showing that I was way open to the target line. I worked on getting my shoulders more level, and my forearms parallel at address, and the pulls started to go away.

This is coming from my experience on the matter from a few years ago. Start simple. I was missing putts to the left and all it took to fix the problem was to switch to a lighter (in weight) grip. I went from a Scotty Cameron Pistolini (74g) to a Pittard's (58g.) It made a whole world of difference.

I say change the easy things first. It that doesn't work, then work on your putting stroke.

I have to ask and I'm asking honestly, how did you know it was the weight of the grip solved the problem.
Here is why I ask:
I too I'm have problems on missing to the left - I recently had a 50G weight to my O-Works 2-Ball Fang S Putter.
I did it to steady my hands a little bit, however it's given me the "Lefts" in my putts.
Just it was figured it was me turning my hands over.

Last year I demo'd the Flat Cat Solutions Grip with the 100 gram weight on it on a White Hot RX #2. I just loved the feel of that grip.
Would think that grip would help this issue. I just can't get myself to take off the SS grip and put on the Fat Cat.

As what @Tadashi70 said. Try lining up the putter face at that intended line, 1 look at the hole, then putt. The more you fiddle with the putter, alignment, the more it will close or open to the intended line unintentionally. Keep your routine the same every time.

Last edited:
It came on the recommendation of someone else (playing a similar putter.) He didn't suggest going to a lighter vs heavier grip, rather just to change it.

I have no idea what the science behind it is, but I do know it fixed my problem wkthout having to make a fundamental change.
I have to ask and I'm asking honestly, how did you know it was the weight of the grip solved the problem.
Here is why I ask:
I too I'm have problems on missing to the left - I recently had a 50G weight to my O-Works 2-Ball Fang S Putter.
I did it to steady my hands a little bit, however it's given me the "Lefts" in my putts.
Just it was figured it was me turning my hands over.

Last year I demo'd the Flat Cat Solutions Grip with the 100 gram weight on it on a White Hot RX #2. I just loved the feel of that grip.
Would think that grip would help this issue. I just can't get myself to take off the SS grip and put on the Fat Cat.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Videos should be up and working

Sent from HTX

I am no expert, but two things I noticed.
1. Looked to me like in the second video that your weight is on your heels.
2. Do you always keep both index fingers pointed down the grip? I used to do this (right index finger only) and stopped and my putting improved. Less tension on your hands and running up your arms. It will feel weird but try gripping without doing that and see what happens.

Just thoughts that might or might not help.

Back