when getting new irons do you go right out to play or must you practice range first?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
With my new g400 irons on order I was thinking (and cant recall what I did last time I got new sticks). I suppose it depends when they arrive. I mean if im playing the next morning...what to do? id obviously hit the range if arrive at a time Im not to be playing. I mean I wouldn't be at all nervous to play them but id just be concerned for distance and feel if I didn't go to a range first. Mostly feel as distance would come pretty quickly imo.

But IDK. Id gather id be too much looking forward to game them to wait. But then I think why not hit the range first at least once eve if it means playing with y old irons as I wait to hit the range at least once with them so as not get a bad tatse with them on the course without having ranged first. On the other hand I think ...so what? who is going to die if I game them right away? Whats the big deal?

So anyway as you can see Im on the fence. What have you done or do when with new iron sets? Hit them at least once before gaming? or game them regardless?

I never thought I'd say this unless I was looking in a mirror, but I think you're thinking too much into this.

I never thought I'd say this unless I was looking in a mirror, but I think you're thinking too much into this.

Oh I can over analyze for sure but this?.....nah, Im not overly concerned with it. Not losing sleep over it at all but only curious what most others do or recommend.

I take them from the shipping box, stick them in my golf bag, drive to the course and then walk straight onto the first tee. Just like any other round with any other clubs...

...except it’s more fun because I have NEW IRONS!!

I take them from the shipping box, stick them in my golf bag, drive to the course and then walk straight onto the first tee. Just like any other round with any other clubs...

...except it’s more fun because I have NEW IRONS!!

This x1000... just put them in play and enjoy. Score is unimportant the fun with new irons is... plus they might surprise you.

Play immediately bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing a brand new set without any range time is cool !

in the bag and to the course, range be damned!

I first have to coat the heads, and especially the soles with ArmorAll, otherwise they won't glide across the turf for me.

I know myself too well and I'd be too excited to wait for an opening to play. Id be launching some out of my backyard into the woods, probably with my swing caddie measuring them. If it's dark when I get em I'm heading straight for a lighted range even if that 'range' is my headlights aimed at a field.

If there is time for the range then yes, if not I have zero hesitation gaming them cold.

I've done it both ways but the range for a direct comparison to my present is preferred.

I've also been known to mix my set with some of the new irons for a comparison on course.

Basically, I do whatever I feel like doing.

Range, mainly to see ball flight they’re going to give me, whether more straight, some draw, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bought my most recent clubs on a Tuesday, squeezed in 15 after work that day, and then another 14 holes the next evening, no range either day. I didn't even hit a driver or FW Wood as I was trying to get a feel for the new clubs.

To be fair, in the 2-3 weeks before buying them I had hit the 7 iron on a launch monitor probably 5 different times and hit several others during a fitting so they weren't completely foreign to me.

I took my brand new G400s right out to the course. Sure, I’ll have a lifetime of regret and misery by not range-hitting them first, but luckily I have a good therapist.

Seriously, do whatever feels right...there is no wrong answer!

I vote go straight to playing, distances should't be that much difference. I have done it with several new sets. (I made sure I was playing home course so I was familiar with what club I normally hit where. )

With my new g400 irons on order I was thinking (and cant recall what I did last time I got new sticks). I suppose it depends when they arrive. I mean if im playing the next morning...what to do? id obviously hit the range if arrive at a time Im not to be playing. I mean I wouldn't be at all nervous to play them but id just be concerned for distance and feel if I didn't go to a range first. Mostly feel as distance would come pretty quickly imo.

But IDK. Id gather id be too much looking forward to game them to wait. But then I think why not hit the range first at least once eve if it means playing with y old irons as I wait to hit the range at least once with them so as not get a bad tatse with them on the course without having ranged first. On the other hand I think ...so what? who is going to die if I game them right away? Whats the big deal?

So anyway as you can see Im on the fence. What have you done or do when with new iron sets? Hit them at least once before gaming? or game them regardless?

All things being equal I would prefer to take em to the range just to get a feel for them But lets say that came in the night before a round I am definitely taking them unless its some big tourney or something. I did change the shaft of my driver and just started using it.

Personally, I would prefer to head to the range first to get a feel for distances compared to my old clubs

I did this when I changed my irons a couple years ago, but I was coming from significantly older clubs so there was quite a distance change for me

Range for a short warm up and then out to the course. If I would have a competition directly I may spend an hour on the range to compare distances to old set, but otherwise I would go on the course more or less direcly and figure out the distances during the round

I might hit up the range to get stretched out more than anything. The crappy range balls don't give me a great idea of performance anyway so I prefer to go straight to the course with them and figure things out there using my normal golf ball.

I might hit up the range to get stretched out more than anything. The crappy range balls don't give me a great idea of performance anyway so I prefer to go straight to the course with them and figure things out there using my normal golf ball.

This exactly! The range doesn’t tell me that much outside of shot shape for the day maybe, I mainly use it for a warmup.

I'd go straight to the course and play them. And not keep score. And have a couple of beers, to celebrate my new clubs. Maybe a nice meal after. It's like a first date.

Typically out of the box, straight in the bag and out to the course.

Back