Bad swing weight in wedges

simonagren

Reaction score
Handicap
I let some guy I know assemble my wedges:
Mizuno T7, 49*, 55* and 61*.
I would say he messed up and the swing weigth is way off. D1 (49*), D2 (55* and 61*).

Would you disassemble the head and add weights, or just go with lead tape?
I mean 5-6g of lead tape should do the trick, but it's not nice looking imo.

what SW are you aiming for?

1 sw point is just 2 grams head weight

I was thinking maybe D4 on all! What do you think?

High density lead tape will be easier than taking them apart and adding tip weights. 2 inches of the high density stuff equals 1 swing weight point so getting it up 2 - 3 points won't be too bad. Some people don't like lead tape on their clubs. I don't mind it and currently have some on about half my bag.

I would say he messed up and the swing weigth is way off. D1 (49*), D2 (55* and 61*).

Either add lead tape to the heads or install lighter grips.

High density lead tape will be easier than taking them apart and adding tip weights. 2 inches of the high density stuff equals 1 swing weight point so getting it up 2 - 3 points won't be too bad. Some people don't like lead tape on their clubs. I don't mind it and currently have some on about half my bag.

Yeah, I wont be able to get the high density easily. Havn't found any in Sweden yet. So maybe I need to go with the standard.

Either add lead tape to the heads or install lighter grips.

Yeah I think the guy put on midsize GP Multi-compound grips, so adding standard grips would certainly take of a few grams.

Yeah, I wont be able to get the high density easily. Havn't found any in Sweden yet. So maybe I need to go with the standard.
Will have to double the amount with standard. So need 4 inches for 1 point. Still should be doable.

Will have to double the amount with standard. So need 4 inches for 1 point. Still should be doable.

Yeah. Ordered some lead tape, will be here in two days :)
Can't wait to feel the wedge heads again!

I had this same problem with my Morgan Cup Cobra Irons. The +4 wraps in my grips and the arrcos sensors put the swing weight at C7. Nowhere close to D0-D1. I added 4 - 2 inch pieces of lead tape to each head and they feel much better to me. My old clubs are D4 but not going that heavy.

I still suck but I can definitely feel the difference.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

In your setup, I like D4, D5, D5

You pay my way over and set up the greens fees, I'll smuggle in as much as you want!

But if you don't wanna golf with me, fine. Just by some lighter grips. :)

Yeah I think the guy put on midsize GP Multi-compound grips, so adding standard grips would certainly take of a few grams.

If you replace the 65 gram mid size grips with standard size 50-53 gram grips this alone will increase the swing weight of your wedges by 3 swing weight points, which is a significant, noticeable difference.
If you like standard size grips then make this change before applying any lead tape to the club heads, as you may not need it.

I had this same problem with my Morgan Cup Cobra Irons. The +4 wraps in my grips and the arrcos sensors put the swing weight at C7. Nowhere close to D0-D1. I added 4 - 2 inch pieces of lead tape to each head and they feel much better to me. My old clubs are D4 but not going that heavy.

I still suck but I can definitely feel the difference.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Haha, I feel ya :) And I'm sure you don't suck!

If you replace the 65 gram mid size grips with standard size 50-53 gram grips this alone will increase the swing weight of your wedges by 3 swing weight points, which is a significant, noticeable difference.
If you like standard size grips then make this change before applying any lead tape to the club heads, as you may not need it.

Ok!
A newbie-question: If I'm not sure they are midsize, how can I assure this? Measure etc.

You pay my way over and set up the greens fees, I'll smuggle in as much as you want!

But if you don't wanna golf with me, fine. Just by some lighter grips. :)

I think this might be the most cost effective solution for me, haha!
Think we need to go with plan B on this one though :)

Then It would be adding 6g to each clubhead. Sounds reasonable :D

I think there is a balance between what a grip can do to affect static swingweight and lead tape on the clubhead. I use D5 in my SW and LW before "changes."

For example, I've used a 25g counterweight in the grip of my wedges and it did not affect my feel of the head but the increased overall weight helped smooth out the swing. I think my current wedges have the counterweight and I like the slightly increased overall weight of the club. Some people will like that, some won't. Holing a delicate flop shot in yesterday's round tells me that I'm lucky and I can feel the clubhead.

I think lead tape on the back of the clubhead has more of a real life effect on clubhead feel than just changing a grip.

Everyone is different - experiment and see what works - maybe a combo of finding a grip that fits you and lead tape will work for you.

D3, D4/5, D3

Ok!
A newbie-question: If I'm not sure they are midsize, how can I assure this? Measure etc.

Mid size grips usually have "mid size" engraved at the butt cap of the grip.

I did the comparison of grip weight in relation to swing weight a while back. Going from a white midsize tour wrap to a Tour Velvet Midsize was about 2-3 swingweight points for me (12g difference in weight.) My irons came in at D0 swingweight with the heavier grips, and almost D3 with the lighter ones. Wedges went from D2 to D4-D5.

Looking at GP's site, going from an mcc midsize to a tour velvet midsize is only a 5.5g difference. Tour velvet midsize being 53.5g, and mcc midsize being 59g. But if it's an mcc+4 midsize he installed, they're 66g.

I did the comparison of grip weight in relation to swing weight a while back. Going from a white midsize tour wrap to a Tour Velvet Midsize was about 2-3 swingweight points for me (12g difference in weight.) My irons came in at D0 swingweight with the heavier grips, and almost D3 with the lighter ones. Wedges went from D2 to D4-D5.

Looking at GP's site, going from an mcc midsize to a tour velvet midsize is only a 5.5g difference. Tour velvet midsize being 53.5g, and mcc midsize being 59g. But if it's an mcc+4 midsize he installed, they're 66g.

Yes, but would it make a playability difference?

Point is there is a balance between total weight of a club, and clubhead feel. My wedges are D-5 in the 56 and 60, and I put 20g counterweights in them for stability - they play great.

Each player must find what works for them - whether it's total club weight and a lot of people believe total club weight is more important than swingweight - no easy answers - wish they existed. But just like the real world, no easy answers exist. One must find what works for them.

Jack Nicklaus used counterweights - lightened up his swingweight - didn't seem to hurt his game.

Yes, but would it make a playability difference?

Point is there is a balance between total weight of a club, and clubhead feel. My wedges are D-5 in the 56 and 60, and I put 20g counterweights in them for stability - they play great.

Each player must find what works for them - whether it's total club weight and a lot of people believe total club weight is more important than swingweight - no easy answers - wish they existed. But just like the real world, no easy answers exist. One must find what works for them.

Jack Nicklaus used counterweights - lightened up his swingweight - didn't seem to hurt his game.

Your wedges are D5 swing weight with a 20 gram counter weight installed at the butt end of the grip ?
Before installing the counter weight the wedges were about D9 ?

Have you played with the wedges yet?

Back