Do you hole out every hole?

Do you hole out every hole?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, you're out playing a casual round with friends. No money on the line. No tournament. Just having fun.

Do you hole out everything? If not, do you still report your score for handicap purposes? Also, if you didn't hole out all 18 holes, would you claim a personal best and tell people that you shot a XX, knowing it wasn't legit?

EDIT (9/4/2018 @ 2152 CDT): OK, so after extensive, heated discussion, I can see the point that accepting gimmes only lowers your handicap and doesn't have any potential benefit for you. So, my main question that is still relevant in this conversation is regarding personal best scores. If you shoot a 69 with 18 conceded putts (assuming you have never shot below a 69), would you claim a personal best and when talking with friends, would you tell them that your personal best included gimme putts and you didn't hole out everything?

Last edited:
I hole out almost everything, although I'll take the <2 ft gimme if it helps us speed up play a little bit. I can't take generous gimmes because I know that there's a possibility that I'll yank it or push it during a round that counts.

I hole out everything minus if I chip it to less than 12 inches. That way I don’t have to grab my putter and waste time.

I hole out everything minus if I chip it to less than 12 inches. That way I don’t have to grab my putter and waste time.

Knock it in with the wedge?

I hole out almost everything, although I'll take the <2 ft gimme if it helps us speed up play a little bit. I can't take generous gimmes because I know that there's a possibility that I'll yank it or push it during a round that counts.

You both picked "hole out everything" in the poll, but said in the comments that you take some gimmes. The other question is, if you shot a career round, but took gimmes during the round, would you claim it as a personal best?

Hole out everything unless someone decides that I don't need to and picks up my ball for me

Everything except 12" or so and even those I'll most often hole out.

Strangely enough, no gimmes during my PB in June as I was never very close. Did leave an eagle putt one revolution from dropping but I remembered being annoyed when I tapped that one in too.

For the rest of the round, I was working, nothing closer than 3' if memory serves.

You both picked "hole out everything" in the poll, but said in the comments that you take some gimmes. The other question is, if you shot a career round, but took gimmes during the round, would you claim it as a personal best?

Wow, I don't think that I've had ever gotten fact checked like this before. Honestly, I absolutely hate taking gimmes and I'll count a missed stroke if I'm trying to acrobatically finish out a short putt without marking or stepping in someone's line or through-line. My next career round would be par so I'll know if a PB is in range pretty early. I'm not trying to cheat anybody or artificially pump myself up so I think that my comment and vote were pretty accurate.

Wow, I don't think that I've had ever gotten fact checked like this before. Honestly, I absolutely hate taking gimmes and I'll count a missed stroke if I'm trying to acrobatically finish out a short putt without marking or stepping in someone's line or through-line. My next career round would be par so I'll know if a PB is in range pretty early. I'm not trying to cheat anybody or artificially pump myself up so I think that my comment and vote were pretty accurate.

I can attest to this. Brian is like honest Abe, just a little nerdier ?.

We'll do gimmes in our rounds to speed up play but we don't get carried away. If it's not super busy on the course I like to putt out.

The reason I chose what I did was for the majority of the time. I would say 90% of the time I hole everything out including the tap in. But some days I don’t. And if I’m shooting a PB I putt everything out. But if I’m 6 over after 6 holes I’m taking the 12 inches. That’s what she said....

Wow, I don't think that I've had ever gotten fact checked like this before.

I ain't fact checking. I asked, would you, not did you.

Honestly, I absolutely hate taking gimmes and I'll count a missed stroke if I'm trying to acrobatically finish out a short putt without marking or stepping in someone's line or through-line.

I would, too, if I was trying to do that and missed. I mean, why wouldn't I count it if I missed?

My next career round would be par so I'll know if a PB is in range pretty early. I'm not trying to cheat anybody or artificially pump myself up so I think that my comment and vote were pretty accurate.

That brings up a whole new question. If (and I don't know what your PB is scorewise, but I'm assuming +1 since you said your next PB would be par) your PB now is a +1, 73 and you shoot a +2, 72, would that be a PB or no? Do you count your PB as it relates to par or total score? Also, would you consider it a PB if the rating on the course was 3 or 4 strokes lower than the rating on the course you shot +1?

The reason I chose what I did was for the majority of the time. I would say 90% of the time I hole everything out including the tap in. But some days I don’t. And if I’m shooting a PB I putt everything out. But if I’m 6 over after 6 holes I’m taking the 12 inches.

Would you still report it for handicap purposes even thought the round wasn't played IAW the RoG?

That’s what she said....

Nice!

I can attest to this. Brian is like honest Abe, just a little nerdier &#55358;&#56611;.

We'll do gimmes in our rounds to speed up play but we don't get carried away. If it's not super busy on the course I like to putt out.

The point wasn't to get someone to vouch for him. I could care less either way if someone takes a gimme. I just think it's telling the number of people who will admit to submitting scores for handicap purposes that are no played IAW the RoG. Just got to thinking about this after reading the thread about the 14 handicapper that shot a -1.

Last edited:
So I have a question for the OP, many times in THP events gimmes are given and taken. Will you take or give any during the THP Championship?

So I have a question for the OP, many times in THP events gimmes are given and taken. Will you take or give any during the THP Championship?

Is it match play? If so, then yes. If it's stroke play, then I don't think "gimmes" should be given or taken because it doesn't protect the field.

As far as handicap purposes go there, it would be a non-issue because those round ain't gonna be turned in for handicap purposes anyway due to the format, I'd assume.

Why? Is it frowned upon in THP events to putt out everything?

Are there routinely THP event rules in place that say anything within 12" is good? I'd hope not as my putting seems to be the only thing I've got going for me right now.

Last edited:
Why is it frowned upon in THP events to putt out everything?

It’s not at all. What is frowned upon is 5 1/2 or 6 hour rounds, which is what we’ll have if 24 guys are grinding out every single putt. Do that over 45 holes of golf and we may not even even finish the event.

Last edited:
Would you still report it for handicap purposes even thought the round wasn't played IAW the RoG?

Nice!

Yes I report it for HC. In reality the only person I’m screwing is myself.

I ain't fact checking. I asked, would you, not did you.

That brings up a whole new question. If (and I don't know what your PB is scorewise, but I'm assuming +1 since you said your next PB would be par) your PB now is a +1, 73 and you shoot a +2, 72, would that be a PB or no? Do you count your PB as it relates to par or total score? Also, would you consider it a PB if the rating on the course was 3 or 4 strokes lower than the rating on the course you shot +1?

1. Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing.

2. My PB is 72 (+1) in 2015 at Colts Neck GC (50 Flock Rd, Colts Neck, NJ 07722). I'm counting my PB in relation to par. I first broke 80 in 2014 at Meadows (79 2 Bridges Rd, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035; 79, +9), but it's not even listed in my GHIN app so did it even count tho? My second time breaking 80 was later in 2014 at Royce Brook East (201 Hamilton Rd, Hillsborough Township, NJ 08844; 79, +7).

You want to get into net scores and differentials?

Meadows 69.2/124 net 64 diff 8.9
Royce Brook 71.5/130 net 65 diff 6.5
Colts Neck 67.8/124 net 58 diff 3.8

But then do you care about yardage? What rabbit hole are you trying to go down?

You are the person after the last person who I care about telling how I putt.

I hole, literally, everything out. I've actually cost myself strokes by swiping at a short one that doesn't go in (usually out of frustration) but I ALWAYS card my exact score. I'm a dork that way.

Gimmes don’t eliminate personal bests. They are “personal” bests and that person can decide whether they are proud of it or not. The rest is crazy semantics.

Do I put everything out? Definitely not. If I watch someone make five straight short putts he’s probably getting the sixth as a gimme if not sooner.

I also played my last round with 17 clubs in the bag. Used less than 14 and took a gimme or two. I even rolled my ball out of a dead spot in the fairway (that was marked as lift clean place in the tourney two weeks ago but not this week specifically).

I slept well that night.

Is it match play? If so, then yes. If it's stroke play, then I don't think "gimmes" should be given or taken because it doesn't protect the field.

As far as handicap purposes go there, it would be a non-issue because those round ain't gonna be turned in for handicap purposes anyway due to the format, I'd assume.

Why is it frowned upon in THP events to putt out everything?

Are there routinely THP event rules in place that say anything within 12" is good? I'd hope not as my putting seems to be the only thing I've got going for me right now.

So... I was thinking about this while I was doing my 3 mile run just now. I guess if it's accepted in the tournament to take gimmes, then I'm taking them.

The whole basis of this question was as it related to reporting for handicap and carding that ever elusive PB score. Since neither of those are happening in a team event, then I guess gimmes are acceptable.

I hole, literally, everything out. I've actually cost myself strokes by swiping at a short one that doesn't go in (usually out of frustration) but I ALWAYS card my exact score. I'm a dork that way.

Nothing dorky about following the rules.

For the rounds I enter I do and I try to even if I'm playing in 'for fun' formats. I usually jokingly say 'I need all the practice I can get', but for real I do need all the practice I can get! Plus sometimes gimmes get realllllllll generous and I'm not comfortable picking up putts that would be a waste of a 3 putt :rofl:.

1. Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing.

Actually, no, they're exact opposites. Did you is asking about something that already happened. Would you is asking about your intentions in the future.

You are the person after the last person who I care about telling how I putt.

Why did you even open the thread in the first place?

Gimmes don’t eliminate personal bests. They are “personal” bests and that person can decide whether they are proud of it or not. The rest is crazy semantics.

This is true. I can agree with that. I guess you just have to play with someone a few times to find out if their PB was scored properly and they're playing the same game as you are or they are playing a different game entirely.

Do I put everything out? Definitely not. If I watch someone make five straight short putts he’s probably getting the sixth as a gimme if not sooner.

What if he doesn't want to take the gimme? What if he wants to play by the RoG?

I also played my last round with 17 clubs in the bag. Used less than 14 and took a gimme or two. I even rolled my ball out of a dead spot in the fairway (that was marked as lift clean place in the tourney two weeks ago but not this week specifically).

I slept well that night.

I'll bet you did. You were probably tired from all the weight!

Back