Hitting on toe of club face

ClockDr

Reaction score
Handicap
I am having a problem striking the ball on or near the center of club face. I have put masking tape on club face and during range session, i am hitting off center. I have tried pausing at the top of swing, relaxing grip, relaxing legs, standing closer to ball, keeping left arm straight and I still am hitting off toe. Any suggestions to help me make better contact? Much obliged.

I am having a problem striking the ball on or near the center of club face. I have put masking tape on club face and during range session, i am hitting off center. I have tried pausing at the top of swing, relaxing grip, relaxing legs, standing closer to ball, keeping left arm straight and I still am hitting off toe. Any suggestions to help me make better contact? Much obliged.
Are you trying to draw the ball?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Not trying to draw the ball, just trying to make good contact. Have tried different drills. Latest is keeping left heel on the ground. Am definitely pulling away or standing up but no matter how hard I focus on staying down, same results. I guess the best thing to do is take a video and see where the flaw is. Driving me crazy. Appreciate the input from you guys.

A common cause is standing up during the downswing putting you farther away from the ball at impact.

This and/or too flat of a swing that at times gets stuck behind you.

Not trying to draw the ball, just trying to make good contact. Have tried different drills. Latest is keeping left heel on the ground. Am definitely pulling away or standing up but no matter how hard I focus on staying down, same results. I guess the best thing to do is take a video and see where the flaw is. Driving me crazy. Appreciate the input from you guys.

I would post video here from the front and down the line for Freddie to review.

In the mean time, I would focus on this drill:

It's not a "tip" and something that would benefit any golfer. It's been posted on THP a few times over the past few years. I bought a $5.00 closet rod from Lowes and use it to engrain the feeling as I still have a tendency to do what Watson says not to do in the video and let my right/rear shoulder come up and across on the downswing versus down and under my chin.

Standing up or pulling away should have you hitting shots low on the face.

If not low hits, the problem could be closing the face too quickly causing slap shots in the toe area since the face is already closed when contact is made. Setting up with a slightly open face may help if this is the case here.

Another cause is pulling your arms into your body bringing the face into the toe area. This is fairly common too.

Well clockDR the club travels left for right handed golfers and right for left handed golfers. Combine this with a loss of spine angle and shart arming your swing will casue you to hit off the toe.

You could also be spinning out and the club could be stuck behind you. he club needs to stay in front of you through the entire swing. You also need to maintain your spine angle.

For those who are smarter than me. Could this also be caused by a poor fit for his lie angle?

Yes it could be. I just assumed that was all taken care of.
For those who are smarter than me. Could this also be caused by a poor fit for his lie angle?

Watched assorted videos and read several tips on spine angle. Went to range today and worked exclusively on maintaining spine angle. That was definitely my problem. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Golf is a funny game. I used to be pretty decent at golf, but bought a boat 3 years ago and got hooked on saltwater fishing. Sold my boat recently and got back into golf. I have forgotten so many things but it's coming back. These mishits were really getting to me. Again, mucho thanks to everyone for the tips.

Back