Be Careful What You Ask For, Swing Video

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been repeatedly asked for a swing video ever since I got online. Looking at it, it's about as ugly as it comes. Two monkeys ****ing is about the most accurate description I've got. I'm not really interested in changing anything so I'm not looking for tips. It's ugly but functional and based on the crazy amount of turn it still generates a good level of CHS. 120 MPH or so. I can go higher but I get even wilder than this swing. This was just my normal driver swing. This hole was 320 into a slight wind and I was pin high but 20yards left of the green. Wasn't my best strike of the day nor was it my worst. I didn't realize how damn ugly my swing was until I had my kid tape this earlier today. Yikes!! Even I am cringing, but when I could probably knock the ball off of the tee on the backswing, I guess I'm happy I'm so flexible. ???

So either enjoy, lol, or other. This is this fatboys swing. For better or (usually) worse. I also didn't realize how fat I was. I don't usually see myself so seeing this, I definitely need to lose some weight.

https://youtu.be/oXFrLENzn2k

Holy crap. The fact that you can hit the ball with any kind of consistency with that backswing is impressive.

It’s seems to work for you, and I’m no expert. Nicely done.

Holy crap. The fact that you can hit the ball with any kind of consistency with that backswing is impressive.

It’s seems to work for you, and I’m no expert. Nicely done.

My dad laughs at my swing but marvels at it. He just said "there's a lot of moving parts", lol. I never knew why until tonight. I'd honestly never seen it. It's pretty consistent. Not as much as I'd like, but it's rare that I don't make decent contact. At least I now know why the bad rounds are really bad.

I guess I'm going to have to go into the offseason with the goal of having a normal swing. I'll lose some distance for sure, but that's ok. I'm getting older and I think subconsciously I've fought that for a long time and just tried to maintain my distance. I didn't realize how ugly it had got. It's kind of an eye opener for me.

Crazy distance is going to have to go away for me this winter. That extra little-lot bit I go before I start the downswing is going to have to be put to pasture. the distance loss will be ok. I like hitting it far but it's just not realistic at my age. I used to have a normal swing and generated the same speed I do now. I've been proud that I still swing as hard but I didn't realize how I was getting there until tonight. Yikes. It's ugly as hell. I'm as shocked as anyone that I can hit the ball with any consistency like that. I knew I had a full turn but I didn't know it had got that ugly to keep the swing speed up.

I’ll be honest, the last person I saw with a backswing that long was 12. Kid was the size of a trash can (he was the bosses son and annoying, and it was a clean trash can) and that was the only way he could generate the club head speed, but he was essentially rubber and managed to control the swing all the way through.

As an adult, I’m very seriously impressed you can a) get that far back without breaking things and b) make contact. I’d be all over the place (mostly the chiropractor) if I tried that.

I think shortening up the backswing may help you keep control better, at least that’s what works for me. Good luck with the swing changes this winter.

6 capper? how can anyone argue anything that works that well?
In the end all that matters is repeatable good ball striking. Your happy and doing well with it....so be it. maybe you can teach it to me.

As for the fat stuff? I put back all my lost weight from 2 years ago and I hate that guy that I always seem to see in the large mirrors in hotel bathrooms whenever Im away. He just follows me around wherever I go and its scary. He looks like a wildebeest threw up.

If it works it works. Do you hit a full wedge like that? I'd be interested to see that!

So I've been repeatedly asked for a swing video ever since I got online. Looking at it, it's about as ugly as it comes. Two monkeys ****ing is about the most accurate description I've got. I'm not really interested in changing anything so I'm not looking for tips. It's ugly but functional and based on the crazy amount of turn it still generates a good level of CHS. 120 MPH or so. I can go higher but I get even wilder than this swing. This was just my normal driver swing. This hole was 320 into a slight wind and I was pin high but 20yards left of the green. Wasn't my best strike of the day nor was it my worst. I didn't realize how damn ugly my swing was until I had my kid tape this earlier today. Yikes!! Even I am cringing, but when I could probably knock the ball off of the tee on the backswing, I guess I'm happy I'm so flexible. ???

So either enjoy, lol, or other. This is this fatboys swing. For better or (usually) worse. I also didn't realize how fat I was. I don't usually see myself so seeing this, I definitely need to lose some weight.

https://youtu.be/oXFrLENzn2k

You have an effective smooth tempo.

Ok, now I see why you wanted John Daly's driver! haha...

If it works it works. Do you hit a full wedge like that? I'd be interested to see that!

Yup! All swings are the same if they're full. Getting stuff posted is tough but I'll show you a layup (what's this? He lays up too? Lol) with a 7i on the hole before. It was an almost 600 yard par 5 with a lake in front of the green. I didn't hit it real great from the tee although it was center FW. Had a good 275 carry to the green and hit 7i to short of the lake (it starts at about 60 yards shy so I was 20-30 yards or so in front of it after the layup. Give me a second....

I actually had my boy tape the entire hole, drive, layup, punch wedge on, and birdie putt-which I missed from 20ft or so. Made a ho-hum tap in par on that. Anyways, this is the layup with 7i.....

Seven iron...

Ok, now I see why you wanted John Daly's driver! haha...

Lol! He's a little smoother but damn if I don't turn as much as he does. I guess I really didn't realize how bad my swing has got. I was just proud that as I aged I kept the same basic distances that I did 20 years ago. I guess Father Time catches us all at some point and I realize I've done been caught. I've kept the SS and distance the same as always but I had to add a little something to it to do so.

I'm entering the offseason very soon. Now that I know what I'm doing it should be an easy fix. Just stop trying to kill it. Settle for a normal swing and an age appropriate CHS. I'm going to have to have someone tape me more often as this was a real eye opener. Come spring I'll just be another fat 40 year old that golfs. Hopefully on my road back to being a plus, lol. And hopefully on the road to being a little less fat. Damn, I look like a beached whale.

Seven iron...

Ok, how in the hell are you actually putting videos in the thread? I've tried and failed. And don't give me that "Tapatalk" thing, lol. To me it just looks like the mobile platform but more confusing. Now if you wanna see a pretty swing, let me get my 13 year olds swing up. Thank god he doesn't take after my swing. His actually looks like a real golfers. Give me a second....

Here's his. I couldn't get tonight's swing to load so this is his on a sim a couple months ago. Thank god he didn't copy my swing.

https://youtu.be/hv4QXZmC_iw

So your backswing looks a bit like mine, except that you probably have about 15 mph club head speed above me! When I get really long in my backswing, I can take a wedge past-parallel and see the clubhead out of my left eye at the top of the backswing. I know why it happens because I do the same thing as you: arms keep going when my shoulders stop, AND tons of bend in my right (rear) elbow which also causes the left arm to bend. Throw all that in with some flexible wrists and that's a recipe for a really long backswing.

Since the arms go so long in the backswing, you have to start the arms back down really quickly so that they can catch up with your body, and by "throwing" the arms (so to speak) you come in a bit steep. The reason you stand up near impact is that it's the only way your body is going to hit the ball. You have to have a tremendous amount of athletic ability to make that move.

I will say this to you: do you want a better-looking swing, or a more functional swing? I have fought this battle a lot in the past few years. Right now, I'm trying to shorten my swing by doing a lot of swings on video. But right now, what FEELS like taking my left arm to parallel with the ground will actually get to a backswing where the club is parallel to the ground and my left arm is probably at 10:30 on a clock face. Feel isn't real, right? But I'm trying to shorten it because with a shorter, more deliberate backswing, I don't manipulate the clubface as much so it's easier to get it squared up at impact.

I am also using this device now every time I go to the range: https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Extend...ords=swing+extender&psc=1&smid=A1ZHXX8G1BCQPI

It will not let your right elbow bend more than 90 degrees. I guarantee you that will give you more width in your swing, so it will look shorter even if you turn your shoulders the same amount as you do now. I have tried to work on the feel of keeping both arms straight throughout my backswing, but this tool works better for me. Good luck.

6 capper? how can anyone argue anything that works that well?
In the end all that matters is repeatable good ball striking. Your happy and doing well with it....so be it. maybe you can teach it to me.

As for the fat stuff? I put back all my lost weight from 2 years ago and I hate that guy that I always seem to see in the large mirrors in hotel bathrooms whenever Im away. He just follows me around wherever I go and its scary. He looks like a wildebeest threw up.

Lol! You've seen me, it ain't purty.

If only food didn't taste so damn tasty. I lost 50 a year ago and promptly put 20 back on. Drives me bonkers because I really don't eat that much anymore and I'm very active. And holding very steady at my current weight. I'm on my feet 12+ hours a day everyday. I walk whenever it's feasible golfing and even when I ride I try to walk as much as I can by grabbing clubs and telling whomever is with me that I'll meet them at the green. I don't screw around when I'm walking either. It's fast and with a purpose. Or is that porpoise ??

I'm comfortable with me but didn't realize I looked quite that fat. It's not often I see myself like that. I'm strong as an ox but I've got a huge belly on me. I always wondered why the women can't seem to get their hands on me, lol. Now I know. :) I look like I ate a younger me and then came back for seconds.

I love it dude. Swings don't need to look perfect. Hell mine never will. Own it and rock on.

So your backswing looks a bit like mine, except that you probably have about 15 mph club head speed above me! When I get really long in my backswing, I can take a wedge past-parallel and see the clubhead out of my left eye at the top of the backswing. I know why it happens because I do the same thing as you: arms keep going when my shoulders stop, AND tons of bend in my right (rear) elbow which also causes the left arm to bend. Throw all that in with some flexible wrists and that's a recipe for a really long backswing.

Since the arms go so long in the backswing, you have to start the arms back down really quickly so that they can catch up with your body, and by "throwing" the arms (so to speak) you come in a bit steep. The reason you stand up near impact is that it's the only way your body is going to hit the ball. You have to have a tremendous amount of athletic ability to make that move.

I will say this to you: do you want a better-looking swing, or a more functional swing? I have fought this battle a lot in the past few years. Right now, I'm trying to shorten my swing by doing a lot of swings on video. But right now, what FEELS like taking my left arm to parallel with the ground will actually get to a backswing where the club is parallel to the ground and my left arm is probably at 10:30 on a clock face. Feel isn't real, right? But I'm trying to shorten it because with a shorter, more deliberate backswing, I don't manipulate the clubface as much so it's easier to get it squared up at impact.

I am also using this device now every time I go to the range: https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Extend...ords=swing+extender&psc=1&smid=A1ZHXX8G1BCQPI

It will not let your right elbow bend more than 90 degrees. I guarantee you that will give you more width in your swing, so it will look shorter even if you turn your shoulders the same amount as you do now. I have tried to work on the feel of keeping both arms straight throughout my backswing, but this tool works better for me. Good luck.
Man i may have to try that out as it sounds like you and i have the same issue(except ive added a front shoulder drop on the down swing so im taking sweet divots with driver)

Man i may have to try that out as it sounds like you and i have the same issue(except ive added a front shoulder drop on the down swing so im taking sweet divots with driver)

short compact swings

We should play LoL, with both of our long swings we'd have miles of takeaway. Although, My rotation isn't quite as far as yours. Most of my swing is generated in my tempo and downswing. I say go with whatever works man, if you feel comfortable slowing down, and if it helps your game, go for it. If not swing it as long as you can!

I love seeing a guy rock his own home made swing. All that really matters is the moment of contact IMO and everything else is window dressing.

I guess mine is functional. I had no idea I'd gone that far with it, I've never seen it before today. I could care less how it looks really, but my struggles with consistency this year tells me it's not as functional as I'd like-although much of my inconsistency is from 80 yards in. I flat out stink from 30-80 yards this year. I'd expect to have a 20ft or less putt 80% of the time from 30-80 yards and I'm constantly airmailing the green from this distance. I really think that has more to do with judging distance than anything. I'm wearing glasses for the first time ever this year and the day I started wearing them is the day I started struggling from that range. It's not really a contact issue, I just constantly am hitting it long. It has gotten a little better as the years gone on so maybe I'm finally adjusting. I have putted like a maniac all year which has helped make up for it some. Being able to see the subtleties of the greens has led me to be more confident of my line, which has led to me putting better than I ever have-better even than when I was a + HC 20 years ago.

So I think the goal this winter will be to shorten things up and be more consistent. I don't really care what it looks like. The times where it does go sideways it goes REALLY sideways. Best round this year is -6 66, worst is + a million 104. I'd like the bad rounds to not be quite so embarrassing. I also realize that giving up distance is going to make the best rounds not be quite so good. Around here it's mostly bomb and gouge for me so when it all works going low is a possibility. But if my bad rounds stay in the high 80's/low 90's I'm good with my good rounds being at 72-74. It's quite embarrassing to turn in a 104, and those rounds always hit at the worst possible moments.

I took a divot with driver today! Oh yeah! I'd probably do it more often but today it was a wet muddy mess everywhere due to rain all week. So I guess it was more of a ground scalping than a divot?? I actually don't mind doing that because I know when I do it's going dead straight every time. Distance will suffer for sure but if I scalp the ground I know it's going right down the middle. Sometimes it's even sneaky long compared to what I'd think would happen.

Ok, how in the hell are you actually putting videos in the thread? I've tried and failed. And don't give me that "Tapatalk" thing, lol. To me it just looks like the mobile platform but more confusing. Now if you wanna see a pretty swing, let me get my 13 year olds swing up. Thank god he doesn't take after my swing. His actually looks like a real golfers. Give me a second....

Here's his. I couldn't get tonight's swing to load so this is his on a sim a couple months ago. Thank god he didn't copy my swing.

https://youtu.be/hv4QXZmC_iw

See attached pic. Click the button circle...

Attachments

• Snip.JPG
    Snip.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
I love seeing a guy rock his own home made swing. All that really matters is the moment of contact IMO and everything else is window dressing.

It's definitely homemade, lol. I think it's evolved as I've aged so that I could keep my swing speed up. Honestly I had no idea it was that ugly-I haven't seen it before today. I'd always envisioned it as looking like Long Jon Daly's. I knew I had quite a shoulder turn. I guess I now know why Dad always smiles when I swing. It's usually followed by a chuckle and him saying something like "I can't believe you actually can hit the ball like that".

Oh well. An fugly functional golf swing is definitely a first world problem. I'll probably change it up some over the winter now that I know what it looks like. Unless of course changing it makes me worse then I'll just go with it. It does explain somewhat why when I struggle, I REALLY struggle. I never understood that before.

Back