Callaway Chrome Soft- different compression ratings for different colors?!?

Reaction score
Handicap
I just found this site that has comrpession ratings for a bunch of different golf balls (its just Low, Mid, High) I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldnt find anything specific as this forum is so massive!
LINK:
https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/equipment-choices/golf-ball-compression-chart-and-rank/

I had no idea the chrome soft truvis were low compression when I bought them, I thought truvis was just the soccer ball pattern- isnt that what the box says they're just easier to see or something? Did anyone else get confused by that. I definitely felt like they were different from the other chrome softs, and I felt I couldnt keep them straight at all off the tee. But I was hitting my irons a bit further with them.

Anyone else feel misdirected by this different compression?

I noticed I tend to hang onto Nike Balls a lot longer than others and then i see on this site that a lot of the Nike balls are in the high compression range.

I am new to golf again and am noticing that different balls react quite a bit differently. I hit my driver right up to 300 sometimes- Id say i average about 275 with my 9 or 10* callaway fusion (2016) driver with a 44.5" shaft. But I only hit my 7 iron (34* bridgestone j38 with project x 6.0 flighted) about 140 and I'm only hitting my 46* PW like 105. I do hit my mizuno mph4 3 iron 200+ but it has a long light graphite shaft on it- its like a 3hybrid shaft. But with that driver distance shouldnt my swing speed be high enough to get a bit longer distances out of my irons? I get low flights but it looks like a lot of spin and stopping power. My 5 iron sticks pretty well. I was thinking I'd probably do better with lighter shafts.

Is there a ball that anyone could recommend for someone that hits their driver long enough- my ideal ball would give me more iron distance- and straighter off the tee. and I dont care too much about spin and definitely dont care about driver distance.

And on a side note- what about these driver vs iron distances- is that normal? Maybe I should try a lighter iron shaft? Anyone got a recommendation for an inexpensive lighter iron shaft set- steel or graphite?

Thanks!

Callaway Chrome Soft- different compression ratings for different colors?!?

That list is pretty poorly done. Truvis is a pattern and it appears as though they are getting a few things confused on the different Chrome Soft golf balls.

Chrome Soft is fairly soft. Not at the level where speed would be lost however. With the modern ball the type of core and mantle layer can have as much impact as a compression number.

That list is pretty poorly done. Truvis is a pattern and it appears as though they are getting a few things confused on the different Chrome Soft golf balls.

Chrome Soft is fairly soft. Not at the level where speed would be lost however. With the modern ball the type of core and mantle layer can have as much impact as a compression number.

The different colors/Truvis Chrome Soft are all the same ball. The scale they use is a little misleading as a low compression Tour Ball is different than a low compression ball like Supersoft.

The different colors/Truvis Chrome Soft are all the same ball. The scale they use is a little misleading as a low compression Tour Ball is different than a low compression ball like Supersoft.

Can I ask how you know? is there a better site with ball compression numbers? Do they really matter with the different cores like mentioned above?

I feel like I liked the bridgestone e6 soft- but its listed as a premium mid compression ball. I feel like It was a bit straighter, and I had no idea it was marketed as a straight ball- I actually found a brand new one during a round and kept it for like 15 holes- which is really good for me- then i get home and see it is marketed as a straighter flying ball.

Any suggestions on a ball for me given that I dont really need anymore driver distance, but I'd like more distance with my irons. Straighter is always better on the misses I guess. Anything like that? heh... I really dont think i've ever hit a chrome soft truvis straight off the tee... maybe its the soccer ball messing with me? Theyre amazing everywhere else though.

Can I ask how you know? is there a better site with ball compression numbers? Do they really matter with the different cores like mentioned above?

I feel like I liked the bridgestone e6 soft- but its listed as a premium mid compression ball. I feel like It was a bit straighter, and I had no idea it was marketed as a straight ball- I actually found a brand new one during a round and kept it for like 15 holes- which is really good for me- then i get home and see it is marketed as a straighter flying ball.

Any suggestions on a ball for me given that I dont really need anymore driver distance, but I'd like more distance with my irons. Straighter is always better on the misses I guess. Anything like that? heh... I really dont think i've ever hit a chrome soft truvis straight off the tee... maybe its the soccer ball messing with me? Theyre amazing everywhere else though.

Jason Finley works at Callaway and is the Director of the golf ball division.

Lol. I guess that works.

Your irons may not be a good fit for you -- or you are doing something different from driver. Check your setup, address and ball position. Check your spin and launch.

You might try the Chrome Soft X, a bit firmer than CS

My SS is lower than yours and I play the Chrome Soft (Truvis) - great ball for me.

I've never liked the CS. Played it a few times last year and I think it spins way too much for me especially in the short irons. I've never been a "spinny" player. I've always aimed to stop my ball from the trajectory rather than the spin. I'm lucky to get it to spin back at all most of the time. With the CS, last year, I spun a 9i off the green and into a WH. I recently gave the CSx a shot after getting a dozen of them at the THP Championship and I like it much more than the CS. I'm not a "high swing speed player" by any means. My driver SS is ~102ish and my 6i SS is ~83ish. YMMV

Your irons may not be a good fit for you -- or you are doing something different from driver. Check your setup, address and ball position. Check your spin and launch.

You might try the Chrome Soft X, a bit firmer than CS

My SS is lower than yours and I play the Chrome Soft (Truvis) - great ball for me.

I would love to check my spin and launch, and club head speed, and try different iron shafts and compare spin changes of 200rpm. unfortunately i'm on the middle class side of golf and dont have access to a launch monitor or the money for a club fitting.

Trying to find someone interested in trading shafts I have project x 6.0 flighted iron shafts and I'm trying to get my hands on some 5.5 or 5.0's or a lighter steel shaft or even a graphite shaft as I used to hit my 7 iron 160 when i had a regular flex graphite shaft. Though it wasnt as accurate as my current shafts.

Or I'm looking to buy a set of shafts... its kind of crazy on ebay you may as well just buy a set of irons with the shafts you want and resell the heads

I would love to check my spin and launch, and club head speed, and try different iron shafts and compare spin changes of 200rpm. unfortunately i'm on the middle class side of golf and dont have access to a launch monitor or the money for a club fitting.

Trying to find someone interested in trading shafts I have project x 6.0 flighted iron shafts and I'm trying to get my hands on some 5.5 or 5.0's or a lighter steel shaft or even a graphite shaft as I used to hit my 7 iron 160 when i had a regular flex graphite shaft. Though it wasnt as accurate as my current shafts.

Or I'm looking to buy a set of shafts... its kind of crazy on ebay you may as well just buy a set of irons with the shafts you want and resell the heads

You should be able to find launch monitors at just about any retail store. You can also find them at local demo days that come to your area.

Good to know.

I've seen that chart before- what it doesn't say is what model year ball they're talking about. Ball formulas might change over a season or two. Because the Chrome Soft is listed as both a "mid" and "low" compression ball. The "Truvis" is listed as low, while the normal CS is listed as"Mid". I don't know if Callaway changed the formula when they added the soccer pattern and called them "Truvis". (which I think represents "TRUe VISability" or something)

Well, I see data on golf balls everyday and know just enough to be dangerous. Also not sure if there is a public facing site with all compression numbers. Our Chrome Soft Truvis balls are the exact same as the std Chrome Soft balls so they should be the same. It should also be noted that compression is not the end all be all to find the right ball for your game either. Balls can have a similar compression and perform totally different.

Given your desire for a ball longer with irons that is also straighter, generally speaking this would suggest that you would want to try a lower spinning, lower compression golf ball. So, since you have struggled with the Truvis, I would say to try the std Chrome Soft or the Supersoft.

Good luck.

Well, I see data on golf balls everyday and know just enough to be dangerous. Also not sure if there is a public facing site with all compression numbers. Our Chrome Soft Truvis balls are the exact same as the std Chrome Soft balls so they should be the same. It should also be noted that compression is not the end all be all to find the right ball for your game either. Balls can have a similar compression and perform totally different.

Given your desire for a ball longer with irons that is also straighter, generally speaking this would suggest that you would want to try a lower spinning, lower compression golf ball. So, since you have struggled with the Truvis, I would say to try the std Chrome Soft or the Supersoft.

Good luck.

Jason, can you clarify? In your first paragraph, you said, "Our Chrome Soft Truvis balls are the exact same as the std Chrome Soft balls so they should be the same.", but then in the second paragraph, you said, "So, since you have struggled with the Truvis, I would say to try the std Chrome Soft or the Supersoft." I'm trying to figure out, if the CS Truvis is the same as the CS, why you would suggest he try the CS if he struggled with the Truvis.

Second question, still on the CS, but different topic. Can you tell me (or point to an online source) showing the differences/changes between the different releases of the Chrome Soft? I'm not sure how many there are, maybe 2015, 2016, 2018... I dunno. My question stems from the fact that I played a CS last autumn that I found and I felt like it spun too much for my liking. It also felt "hot" off the putter face and that turned me off. I have been playing some CS 2018's lately and I don't get that feeling from them. So, I'm wondering if there were changes in there somewhere that tweaked the CS more to my liking or (as is fairly likely) if I just have no clue what I'm doing on the golf course and it's the same ball and I'm a moron.

Jason, can you clarify? In your first paragraph, you said, "Our Chrome Soft Truvis balls are the exact same as the std Chrome Soft balls so they should be the same.", but then in the second paragraph, you said, "So, since you have struggled with the Truvis, I would say to try the std Chrome Soft or the Supersoft." I'm trying to figure out, if the CS Truvis is the same as the CS, why you would suggest he try the CS if he struggled with the Truvis.

Second question, still on the CS, but different topic. Can you tell me (or point to an online source) showing the differences/changes between the different releases of the Chrome Soft? I'm not sure how many there are, maybe 2015, 2016, 2018... I dunno. My question stems from the fact that I played a CS last autumn that I found and I felt like it spun too much for my liking. It also felt "hot" off the putter face and that turned me off. I have been playing some CS 2018's lately and I don't get that feeling from them. So, I'm wondering if there were changes in there somewhere that tweaked the CS more to my liking or (as is fairly likely) if I just have no clue what I'm doing on the golf course and it's the same ball and I'm a moron.

I am not Jason, but the OP said himself that he might suspect the TruVis pattern to be a contributing cause to him struggling off the tee, hence the move to standard Chrome Soft as it simply goes back to clean, standard white [yellow also available] ball. There is NOT A DIFFERENCE outside of the truvis pattern if it says Chrome Soft on the side.

As for evolution of the Chrome Soft: If you want technical stuff, THP has information in threads you can search here or just the google machine. Purely from memory (which can blur some things, so forgive me if there are some inaccuracies) after Speed Regime in 2014, Chrome Soft was released in 2015 with the Soft Fast Core, a softer ball without sacrificing performance and ball speed. In 2016, the dual Soft Fast core model was released (noted by 2 dots after Chrome Soft) to help with control on more shots than a 3 layer ball. In 2017, Chrome Soft X was introduced with a little higher compression and spin. In 2018, they brought Graphene into both models and made some subtle changes to get the profiles similar to others std vs X models.

I am not Jason, but the OP said himself that he might suspect the TruVis pattern to be a contributing cause to him struggling off the tee, hence the move to standard Chrome Soft as it simply goes back to clean, standard white [yellow also available] ball. There is NOT A DIFFERENCE outside of the truvis pattern if it says Chrome Soft on the side.

As for evolution of the Chrome Soft: If you want technical stuff, THP has information in threads you can search here or just the google machine. Purely from memory (which can blur some things, so forgive me if there are some inaccuracies) after Speed Regime in 2014, Chrome Soft was released in 2015 with the Soft Fast Core, a softer ball without sacrificing performance and ball speed. In 2016, the dual Soft Fast core model was released (noted by 2 dots after Chrome Soft) to help with control on more shots than a 3 layer ball. In 2017, Chrome Soft X was introduced with a little higher compression and spin. In 2018, they brought Graphene into both models and made some subtle changes to get the profiles similar to others std vs X models.

I have to admit, I didn't see where he said that the pattern was giving him difficulties off the tee. I just went back and reread the OP and still don't see it.

I'm sure the answer is out there on Google somewhere, but instead of searching for the needle in the haystack, I figured I'd simply ask the sartor.

Your timeline matches my memory, if we’re wrong we’ll be wrong together.

I have to admit, I didn't see where he said that the pattern was giving him difficulties off the tee. I just went back and reread the OP and still don't see it.

I'm sure the answer is out there on Google somewhere, but instead of searching for the needle in the haystack, I figured I'd simply ask the sartor.
You could just compile the press releases from the announcements here on THP. Searching for Chrome Soft within the forum would be much easier than a needle in a haystack.

Also, from the original poster in a follow up post.

"Anything like that? heh... I really dont think i've ever hit a chrome soft truvis straight off the tee... maybe its the soccer ball messing with me? Theyre amazing everywhere else though."

soooo you just said there were changes in 2018?

You could just compile the press releases from the announcements here on THP. Searching for Chrome Soft within the forum would be much easier than a needle in a haystack.

Also, from the original poster in a follow up post.

"Anything like that? heh... I really dont think i've ever hit a chrome soft truvis straight off the tee... maybe its the soccer ball messing with me? Theyre amazing everywhere else though."

Yeah, I went back and read the OP, but I didn't reread the entire thread.

Back