Question: What loft do you prefer for simple chip shots, <100 feet?

aknow

Reaction score
Handicap
I have new clubs and have been experimenting with different wedges for basic chip - run shots. I used to be killer with my Wilson Staff wedge from 1965. Not sure whether to use an A-wedge (50 degrees) or P wedge - w/ varying degrees. It seems like the 50 degree wedge is familiar, but I can't find a source for what lofts, club makers were using in the older days.

I took a couple of my older wedges to the range, just for fun. The interesting thing is, the newer ones, (Srixon, Miura, Seven (jam)) launch higher , but travel about the same distance as clubs from 60's -90's, (Ping Eye-2, Daiwa hi trac, Wilson Staff)
Any thoughts?

Question: What loft do you prefer for simple chip shots, &lt;100 feet?

Question: What loft do you prefer for simple chip shots, &lt;100 feet?

Never have any luck with the shot you describe, but am interested in hearing the proper response.

For whatever reason I can only get a 7 iron to bump and run with any sort of accuracy. And it runs and runs and runs, way past the green. When I try the same shot with an attack wedge or p wedge from close in, I chili dip it. So I usually take a half swing with a sand wedge and pitch it.

Edit - I read 100 feet as 100 yards above. Would still love to hit a 50 yard bump and run, but have no idea how to do it and have it not go 150 yards. For chips close in to the pin, I use either an a or s depending on how far I want it to go. Out of deep rough - go with an s or L. Default is S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I find I do better with my 50 than higher lofted wedges. I may try more of a bump and run game next year using even less loft.

Dave

A more lofted club will fly more and roll less. Because newer clubs in general are stronger (less loft), I would expect a modern A wedge to fly lower than an older A wedge. This video explains it very well, including how you can use every iron in the bag around the green:

My 54 md4is my money club at 100 and in. Sometimes need to take it easy with the 50* but I love either

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Depends if open to the green or having to go over a bunker. If open to green I am using the PW or 50° wedge. I can get a good bump and run with those. If bunker to go over then could be the 54 or 58.

50 or 54 for me depending on pin placement

I cannot chip with a set wedge to save my life, so I roll with my 54 or 60, even for a bump and run.

Honestly depends on how much rough/fairway I have to carry before I get to the green. I could do anything from a 58 down to an 8 iron. But usually I'm taking my 54 and 58 with me on greenside shots.

50 and 54. I used to play it exclusively with my 50 and knew the backswing length. I since changed out the shafts of my other wedges to match my irons (almost) and now have that yardage dialed in for my 54.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

From 100 feet and in I'm pulling the 56 every time. I can get over or I can deloft and roll/skip it. A couple years back I decided to stop changing clubs around the green and close in, instead opting to practice, practice, practice with one club. It was a struggle at first but now I love my 56 and having something consistent and confident has done wonders for my short game.

I gravitate to my 48.

A more lofted club will fly more and roll less. Because newer clubs in general are stronger (less loft), I would expect a modern A wedge to fly lower than an older A wedge. This video explains it very well, including how you can use every iron in the bag around the green:

Thank you for posting this. I was taught to lower the loft by closing face, rather than using a 7 iron. Love MR. Runyan's advice.

The vast majority of my non bunker shots inside of 100 feet are with a 9 iron or less in loft.

Depends on the ground -wet/dry, the leaning of the fairway, the rough, the green and flag placement, among other factors. 30 yds and in - I might choose any club from 50-60. If I have a clean chip and run from 30 yrds, probably a 50-51, and turn the club over for roll. If ground will affect results too much, I'll pull a 56 or 60, and hinge the wrists for air time. If I need roll, I will turn the club over/release. If I don't want roll, I won't turn it over.

Depending on the lie and grass. Usually take a 58* but if the wind is against me and I still want it to go high, I'll go with an open 56*.

One of the great things about golf is that there are endless ways to accomplish the same goal, this shot is an excellent example of that.

I’ve done this shot with everything from a 64* to a 5iron. Depends on a lot of things, how much junk you need to avoid, how much green you have to work with, etc.

I’m a fan of the bump and run if I’ve got a clean shot at the pin and room for the ball to run up there. Basically just an extended putting stroke with a club, if I don’t need the ball to fly I’d probably use a 9 iron if the pin is close to me, if the ball is deeper on the green I might use a 7iron.

50, 54 or 58 depending on a number of factors such as how much green there is to work with, whether there are any obstacles between the ball and the green, the condition and length of the turf between ball and green, etc.

54* low runner

60 most of the time, if there is a lot of green to work with then the 54 could get a look for a low spinner. Really depends how the greens are releasing to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have gravitated away from using my 58 and 54 due to inconsistency. I am now using my 48* GW.

My 54* is my go to for a drop shot, my pitching wedge is my go to for a bump and run. It just depends on the setup though, I may use anything from a 7 iron to a lob wedge honestly.

54* all day.

I’d use my 56 or possibly my wedge if I want to run it 75 percent of the way which is what this seems to call for

My 50 gap wedge mainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back