annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
Any talk chance this movie isn't a dumpster fire and how do they talk underwater. I was surprised that at the end of the commercial for the movie he has on the yellow/green suit that Aquaman wore when I read it 50 years ago. Back when he had short blonde hair.

It doesn't have Vinnie Chase, so I am out : )

Aquaman

Previews look great. It’s kicking some major butt over in China. Collected over $100 million in just four days of release. I took advantage of the Amazon Prime ticket offer and taking the whole family to see this Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like when watching a superhero movie, suspension of disbelief is required for things a whole lot crazier than "how do they talk underwater?".

It doesn't have Vinnie Chase, so I am out : )

They should have made that movie with Johnny Drama as the bad guy. VICTORY!!!!

I feel like when watching a superhero movie, suspension of disbelief is required for things a whole lot crazier than "how do they talk underwater?".

Oh I can do that suspend belief thing with my golf game too. I hope it does well but it seems for me the DC movies don't grab me like Marvel.

Oh I can do that suspend belief thing with my golf game too. I hope it does well but it seems for me the DC movies don't grab me like Marvel.

I think a lot of that is DC tried too much to be the anti-Marvel with their story telling and tone. They have 80 years of history at their disposal to work with and they started out in one direction when they tried to go with DC Extended Universe. They seem like they are going back to individual story lines were they will not be crossing over characters. It worked well for Superman the Movie and The Dark Knight Trilogy. Those were as good if not better than anything Marvel has put out.

Actually this might not be bad, if they follow the Wonder Woman origin flow... I’m looking forward to it...

I haven’t really enjoyed them all that much either. The Marvel movies are more fun.

Growing up I was a Marvel guy and that basically still stands. I like the Batman movies, and Wonder Woman was pretty good, but the rest of them are just "meh" to me and of all the DC heroes, Aquaman would be the most "meh" of all to me. I'll watch it when it comes to streaming, but not spending $40-50 to go to a theater for this one.

Actually this might not be bad, if they follow the Wonder Woman origin flow... I’m looking forward to it...

I am of the same opinion. I thought Wonder Woman was a good movie, the closest thing to a Marvel movie as far as holding interest that DC has put out since the Nolan trilogy.

It looks shockingly bad from the trailer. DC has really lost its way since the Dark Knight trilogy. It seems each film is somehow worse than the last.

DC just can not compete with Marvel.

Which is a shame because they have possibly the three most iconic superheros ever in Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Before the MCU, only the Hulk, Captain America, and Spider-Man (maybe the X-Men) came close on the Marvel side. People don't realize that Iron Man was not considered a top tier superhero prior the movies, and people thought Marvel was bonkers for having him essentially be the face of Marvel after the first couple of Hulk movies fell flat.

That is the problem, they are trying to compete with Marvel. Feige has proven he has a great feel for creating the entire universe and then has let talented directors do their own thing with in it (Thor Ragnarok with Taika Waititi was a pretty big departure, but so was Guardians of the Galaxy and James Gunn and Captain America: Winter Soldier and the Russo brothers before that). I think DC tried to follow the antithesis of that with Snyder doing a very poor man's Nolan with the following movies.

I honestly think DC has done a great job casting the heroes (wonder woman obviously is great, Cavill is a damn good superman IMHO, Flash/Aquaman are both really good and even Affleck as older Batman SHOULD be really good. The problem is they were trying to catch up to what Marvel had and rushed out making the team up movies (Suicide squad is so bad it is somewhat entertaining and BvS... pretty much the same) instead of letting each character build up and grow a following before coming together for justice league. Wonder Woman shows what they can do when they let a talented team tell a story with a different slant than what Snyder does.

I think Aquaman could be pretty good as James Wan has a pretty good track record. The biggest issue is that there is going to be so much CGI (which I found to be a distraction during Justice League) that it could have some people judging it before they see it. I will find out for myself when it hits theaters.

Last edited:
I’m in!!

That is the problem, they are trying to compete with Marvel. Feige has proven he has a great feel for creating the entire universe and then has let talented directors do their own thing with in it (Thor Ragnarok with Taika Waititi was a pretty big departure, but so was Guardians of the Galaxy and James Gunn and Captain America: Winter Soldier and the Russo brothers before that). I think DC tried to follow the antithesis of that with Snyder doing a very poor man's Nolan with the following movies.

I honestly think DC has done a great job casting the heroes (wonder woman obviously is great, Cavill is a damn good superman IMHO, Flash/Aquaman are both really good and even Affleck as older Batman SHOULD be really good. The problem is they were trying to catch up to what Marvel had and rushed out making the team up movies (Suicide squad is so bad it is somewhat entertaining and BvS... pretty much the same) instead of letting each character build up and grow a following before coming together for justice league. Wonder Woman shows what they can do when they let a talented team tell a story with a different slant than what Snyder does.

I think Aquaman could be pretty good as James Wan has a pretty good track record. The biggest issue is that there is going to be so much CGI (which I found to be a distraction during Justice League) that it could have some people judging it before they see it. I will find out for myself when it hits theaters.

There really is no other option than having tons of cgi in a movie set under water. If Star War can get away with it, so can this. Also, while Black Panther was a good movie, the cgi was not in a lot of spots.

There really is no other option than having tons of cgi in a movie set under water. If Star War can get away with it, so can this. Also, while Black Panther was a good movie, the cgi was not in a lot of spots.

Not arguing you with any point, but for people that may have recently watched Justice league they may think this is going to be more of the same. As I said I will go watch it and then judge it but I think that is what some are thinking from the trailer.

Aquaman

DC’s source material is better than Marvel’s in my opinion, but the issue with the DC Movie Universe is that the tone has been all wrong, can’t “Dark Knight” every character. It only works with Batman, when you can’t tell the difference between Bruce & Clark, that’s a problem. To get the DCMU correct, you have to get Clark right.

Superman was screwed up from jump street, at his core, he’s a Farm Boy raised by the Ma & Pa Kent in Kansas, that happened to be from Krypton. Not a Demi-God Jesus from Krypton, that grew up in Kansas. More Big Blue Boy Scout & Less Kryptonian narrative, is where to start....

Get Superman right, and you can fix the whole thing...

It looks shockingly bad from the trailer. DC has really lost its way since the Dark Knight trilogy. It seems each film is somehow worse than the last.

The Dark Knight Trilogy (as great as it was) ruined any chance at a great DCMU... That tone doesn’t work for the majority of DC characters outside of the Bat-Verse... Although, that’s what Warner Brothers attempted starting with the Man of Steel.

I got odds that Vinnie Chase and James Cameron had a bigger box office for sure.

e5296058f1a00aa58d89aec0eec9f8e6.jpg

Aquaman

I really liked Man of Steel, but the ending just destroyed it for me. Sorry, no way no how does Superman kill anyone. You just killed the whole concept of what made him Super Man. It’s not about his powers. It’s about how he has these powers, but never uses them for himself and always does the hero thing for everyone. Good or bad. How he has to always hold back in fear of letting go could hurt another.

Then it went totally down hill with Batman vs Superman. That movie was almost up there with Superman 4:Quest for Peace. Even Superman 3 had some comedic elements. It was badly good. All I have to quote is Superman yelling to Batman as he is about to kill him “Martha, dave Martha”. Common, really that is all you had to say to get Batman on your side. Because, having a mother with the same first name is all that was needed.

I think there are so many great comic stories out there over the years, that could bring the DC Super Heroes movies back. It might be best for the next set of movies to stay away from Batman and Superman, but I read somewhere that the rights to Superman were going back to the heirs of Siegel and Shuster soon.

I really liked Man of Steel, but the ending just destroyed it for me. Sorry, no way no how does Superman kill anyone. You just killed the whole concept of what made him Super Man. It’s not about his powers. It’s about how he has these powers, but never uses them for himself and always does the hero thing for everyone. Good or bad. How he has to always hold back in fear of letting go could hurt another.

Then it went totally down hill with Batman vs Superman. That movie was almost up there with Superman 4:Quest for Peace. Even Superman 3 had some comedic elements. It was badly good. All I have to quote is Superman yelling to Batman as he is about to kill him “Martha”. Common, really that is all you had to say to get Batman on your side. Because, having a mother with the same first name is all that was needed.

I think there are so many great comic stories out there over the years, that could bring the DC Super Heroes movies back. It might be best for the next set of movies to stay away from Batman and Superman, but I read somewhere that the rights to Superman were going back to the heirs of Siegel and Shuster soon.

The rights in question are actually to “Superboy” not Superman...

Looks fun to me, I’m sure the wife will be buying tickets soon.

I just don’t don’t all the hate for DC.
I know I am in the minority but I like DC as much as marvel. Of course I am one of the few who really liked man of steel and justice league.
I will for sure be going to see aqua man

Back