Thread: Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs myndcraft's Avatar
    Handicap
    Driving
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Got to play my first round with the combo set last night and these things are awesome. I was slightly worried about going with the combo set, but had no problems at all and hit super crispy shots all night. These paired up with the KBS TGI shafts are amazing!
    Epic Sub Zero 9
    Great Big Bertha 3W
    Big Bertha 3H / 4H
    Apex CF16 5-AW
    MD3 Milled 56 S / 60 W
    BB1-LN or Studio Stock #7
    Chrome Soft
    C130S

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myndcraft For This Useful Post:

bajapalm (06-12-2019), mbenro (06-12-2019)

Egregious
    Handicap
    Golf Clubs
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,890 Posts
    Im still seeing some solid results with these. The feel is second to none but the distance I get with these is just insane. Im starting to adjust some and trusting it more but I cannot wait to get some more time with these tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    In my bag:
    Driver: GBB Epic SZ 9 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    3 Wood: Rogue Elements Platinum 8F5T
    2 Hybrid: Epic Recoil 95 F5
    Irons 4-AW: Apex Combo Custom Recoil Protos 110 F5
    Wedges: RTX-4 54 Mid & 58 Low Recoil Wedge Proto F5
    Putter: Toulon Stroke Lab San Diego 35
    Ball: Z-Star
    Grips: Multi-Compound New Decade Red & Black

Proud Participant in the 2017 THP UST Mamiya Shaft Up #3 and The Shaft Up Finale

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e1iterate For This Useful Post:

checkered (06-12-2019), mbenro (06-12-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boder View Post

Pretty nice 7 iron today. I had some other good ones today as well and was able to flight the ball and move it either direction as needed.
    That will defintely work! Nice deuce.
    Flextech Stand Bag
    2017 M1 8.5* Ozik Black Tie 70M4 X
    CBX 119 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 X
    816 H2 19* w/ White 90G X
    Apex CF19 Smoke Irons W/ CTaper Lite X
    Glide 2.0 W/ DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 50-54-58
    Odyssey Works Sabertooth Tank
    Pro V1X

2019 TEEm Tour Edge Participant

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyDMPLS For This Useful Post:

mbenro (06-12-2019), Tenputt (06-12-2019)

Handicap
    3.7 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyDMPLS View Post
    That will defintely work! Nice deuce.
    ha ha that's awesome, great shot, pretty much right on my 7i distance. I hit 6i and 5i on consecutive holes last night, tough par 4 and par 3 respectively, and was the best back to back iron shots with long irons that I can recall in a long time. These clubs are so rewarding when squarely struck. BTW what golf app are you using, pretty cool? I use skydroid which is pretty effective.
    Irons: Apex 19 Combo 4-AW, Modus 105 S
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 56, 60
    Hybrid: XR 3
    Fairway: GBB Epic 3
    Driver 913D
    Putter Newport Studio Stainless
    Ball: Pro V1x (usually)

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,469 Posts
    Last time out I had about 153 and hit a 7i inside of 5ft

In My #TheGrandaddy 2.0 Team Redemption Bag

Epic Flash 10.5 | Custom THCE Project X 6.0
    Epic Flash 3+ 15.5 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash 5W 17 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash Heavenwood 20 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    CF-19 Apex Smoke Combo 5-AW | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 54/14 | 58/12 | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    Stroke Lab Marxman
    ERC Triple Track | Chrome Soft **

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikeg_74 For This Useful Post:

Alez367 (06-14-2019), Cam007 (06-13-2019), mbenro (06-12-2019), McLovin (06-15-2019), radiman (06-14-2019), Snickerdog (06-12-2019)

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myndcraft View Post
    Got to play my first round with the combo set last night and these things are awesome. I was slightly worried about going with the combo set, but had no problems at all and hit super crispy shots all night. These paired up with the KBS TGI shafts are amazing!
    I pick up my combo set tomorrow so. Time will tell about my decision. Really interested to see how they compete with the 585/785 combo my buddy is gaming.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckingshop For This Useful Post:

checkered (06-12-2019)

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I'm a senior golfer with a slow swing speed and I was a little concerned about purchasing the Apex Cf19's even though I played the CF16's a couple years ago. Just thought they might need more of a consistent swing to get the most out of them. In other words, perhaps not as forgiving as some GI clubs.

What I found was quite surprising. I really like the smaller head size and the thinner line they present at address. In my case, I think it forces me to focus a little more on hitting the sweet spot. Consequently, I think these are performing as good as any GI club that I have tried and when you catch the sweet spot they are effortless to launch and get the ball going in the right direction that you've chosen.

I still have a problem with the 4 and 5 irons, but that is typical for me. These clubs, by their very nature, are for longer distances and I tend to over swing and pull them off center and off target. If I just put a nice smooth swing on them, they work much better so I know it is ME, not the clubs.

For anyone that thinks they might not be enough of a GI club, I think you will be very surprised at the performance you get even when you don't hit the sweet spot.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjfcpa For This Useful Post:

bajapalm (06-13-2019), Phil75070 (06-13-2019), Tenputt (06-13-2019)

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So small buyer beware issue.

Was taking a lesson last night and swinging my 7 iron and heard a funny noise and then everything was a clinking noise afterwards. Called customer service this morning as I have a tournament next Friday and while they did honor a return on the club it wasn't a great experience and gave no confidence they could expedite. Not great after an over $1000 order. My sales rep is very nice but apparently it's not in their hands once it breaks. I will update here on the turnaround time on the return, but was told I don't get any email information, no tracking number, no status, no nothing. Given all the great things you guys have said about that team on this board I was surprised by how that call went, but I guess that's the nature of the business these days.

Past that, great clubs, but beyond bummed I may not be able to use them in my event next week.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Thornton Melon For This Useful Post:

McLovin (06-15-2019)

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornton Melon View Post
    So small buyer beware issue.

Was taking a lesson last night and swinging my 7 iron and heard a funny noise and then everything was a clinking noise afterwards. Called customer service this morning as I have a tournament next Friday and while they did honor a return on the club it wasn't a great experience and gave no confidence they could expedite. Not great after an over $1000 order. My sales rep is very nice but apparently it's not in their hands once it breaks. I will update here on the turnaround time on the return, but was told I don't get any email information, no tracking number, no status, no nothing. Given all the great things you guys have said about that team on this board I was surprised by how that call went, but I guess that's the nature of the business these days.

Past that, great clubs, but beyond bummed I may not be able to use them in my event next week.
    Reach out to CallawayCS on Twitter, theyll get you squared away
    In My #TheGrandaddy 2.0 Team Redemption Bag

Epic Flash 10.5 | Custom THCE Project X 6.0
    Epic Flash 3+ 15.5 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash 5W 17 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash Heavenwood 20 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    CF-19 Apex Smoke Combo 5-AW | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 54/14 | 58/12 | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    Stroke Lab Marxman
    ERC Triple Track | Chrome Soft **

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeg_74 For This Useful Post:

PapaJohick (06-14-2019)

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingshop View Post
    I pick up my combo set tomorrow so. Time will tell about my decision. Really interested to see how they compete with the 585/785 combo my buddy is gaming.
    A little update. Received my combo set yesterday and wow. Have hit them twice since seeing as I like to spend a bit of time getting fully used to the flight and yardage before I go play probably due to the fact of me being so OCD. The pro irons are some of the best feeling softest but also springy irons I've ever played. Just a very satisfying feeling. The standards fill light years ahead of the CF sixteens for what I remember and I think they have a slightly more pleasing sound than the 585- or 565 I played for the last couple years. My swing was a bit off yesterday and was striking a bit on the toe but the forgiveness is amazing in such a compact shape especially in the Pro irons. I hit a few almost off the grooves and still only lost about 10 to 15 yards. I hit the them next to the Srixon 585 and 785 combo set that my buddy has and I prefer the Callaway. Better feel in my opinion and I know a lot of that has to do with sound. The pros were much softer and more satisfying than me 785. And I prefer the sound of the standard Apex over that of the 585. My buddy didn't want to hit them I guess because he really didn't have a lot of interest and because he hasn't had his irons but a month. Well long story short he has placed a order for the Apex combo set. He's never been a Callaway fan has had a few sets but never had them for very long and he has played Srixon for the last three or four years. I didn't think he would change and go away from Japanese forging but the Callaway changed his mind. If he can be swayed, I'll promise you anyone can. He was rather cynical of the TaylorMade Callaway massive advertising type of iron. The Apex is a different animal. The very first session I had was yesterday and I unbox them on the Range and I'm thoroughly impressed. I have had super game-improvement irons that have not had this amount of forgiveness when hit so far on the toe and to see that out of the pro iron even if it is in a short iron is rather amazing.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wreckingshop For This Useful Post:

Greg Kulbick (06-14-2019), JourdanInMich (06-14-2019)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    13.2 USGA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingshop View Post
    A little update. Received my combo set yesterday and wow. Have hit them twice since seeing as I like to spend a bit of time getting fully used to the flight and yardage before I go play probably due to the fact of me being so OCD. The pro irons are some of the best feeling softest but also springy irons I've ever played. Just a very satisfying feeling. The standards fill light years ahead of the CF sixteens for what I remember and I think they have a slightly more pleasing sound than the 585- or 565 I played for the last couple years. My swing was a bit off yesterday and was striking a bit on the toe but the forgiveness is amazing in such a compact shape especially in the Pro irons. I hit a few almost off the grooves and still only lost about 10 to 15 yards. I hit the them next to the Srixon 585 and 785 combo set that my buddy has and I prefer the Callaway. Better feel in my opinion and I know a lot of that has to do with sound. The pros were much softer and more satisfying than me 785. And I prefer the sound of the standard Apex over that of the 585. My buddy didn't want to hit them I guess because he really didn't have a lot of interest and because he hasn't had his irons but a month. Well long story short he has placed a order for the Apex combo set. He's never been a Callaway fan has had a few sets but never had them for very long and he has played Srixon for the last three or four years. I didn't think he would change and go away from Japanese forging but the Callaway changed his mind. If he can be swayed, I'll promise you anyone can. He was rather cynical of the TaylorMade Callaway massive advertising type of iron. The Apex is a different animal. The very first session I had was yesterday and I unbox them on the Range and I'm thoroughly impressed. I have had super game-improvement irons that have not had this amount of forgiveness when hit so far on the toe and to see that out of the pro iron even if it is in a short iron is rather amazing.
    Told ya.
    M5 Tour / Tensei CK Orange 60
    M2 3HL / White Tie 70x4
    Apex UT 18 / Recoil 680 F4
    Apex 3i / Tour V 110, Apex Pro 19 Smoke 4-PW / LZ 6.0
    J40 52
    MD4 56W
    Studio Stainless Newport 2 by Kick Ass Clubs

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kulbick View Post
    Told ya.
    Yes you did LOL. And many others on here also. I am thankful that I joined last month and took what so many on here said to heart. Making an investment that big doesn't seem so big no matter how much money you spend if you get those type of results and that type of satisfaction. And I really like the different feel from the long irons to the short irons. It's almost like you notice how great each one feels specifically and it's like you appreciate the feel of both of them because you have the difference in feel if that makes sense. Both incredible in their own way.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckingshop For This Useful Post:

Greg Kulbick (06-14-2019)

Handicap
    GHIN 1.8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,288 Posts
    With this next revision my handicap index will be the lowest it has ever been! Ive had no lessons, not playing any more golf than usual, cant remember the last time I hit the range and no hitting balls before playing. It has to be the equipment and these irons are a big part of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5 (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    FWs: 3W & 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (S/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
    Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
    Wedges: 56C MD4 / 60 PM 2.0 Grind - both w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
    Putter: Toulon Portland or Odyssey Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft / ERC

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil75070 For This Useful Post:

Greg Kulbick (06-14-2019), McLovin (06-15-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    967 Posts
    Been grinding to get the feel of the Pros. I like them. They are no doubt unique.
    Few brief thoughts- surprised me how much I think Im liking the long irons.
    The short irons Ive been grinding on a bit. Today I decided to stick some lead tape on the 8-Pw and almost immediately I started hitting them a bit like I expect. Playing tomorrow, so will see how it goes. I plan to get all the irons on a swing weight scale.
    Lastly....is it me or is the 7 iron basically a rocket launcher?

G400 10.5, Rogue Silver 130 MSI 7TX or new contender Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5, Kuro Kage 6X
    M5, 15, AD DI 7X
    G410 19 hybrid, Tensei 85TX
    P790 4 & 5, P770 6-PW, C-Taper S
    SM7, 50, 56, 60, PX 6.0
    Tyne, 35"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DNice26 For This Useful Post:

PapaJohick (06-14-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DNice26 View Post
    Been grinding to get the feel of the Pros. I like them. They are no doubt unique.
    Few brief thoughts- surprised me how much I think Im liking the long irons.
    The short irons Ive been grinding on a bit. Today I decided to stick some lead tape on the 8-Pw and almost immediately I started hitting them a bit like I expect. Playing tomorrow, so will see how it goes. I plan to get all the irons on a swing weight scale.
    Lastly....is it me or is the 7 iron basically a rocket launcher?

Haha Ive hit the 7 iron really well my first rounds as well..... interesting...

Haha need to take them into the shop though. Get weighted and lofted. Something just doesnt feel right throughout the set.

THP Events:
    2017 Wilson Staff Proto:#TeamMarketing
    2018 Ultimate Weekend of Golf sponsored by True Temper

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PapaJohick For This Useful Post:

DNice26 (06-14-2019)