My initial Cobra King F6 Driver and F6 4-GW Irons

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Hit the F6 irons at Golfsmith when they arrived from Cobra, they were fitted for me; 1* flat lie, 1/4" short length and Tour Wrap 2G white grips with 2 extra wraps under the grips. Then went to a driving range close by, but they forgot to water the driving range and it was dried out hardpan. After a few swings my elbows felt like tuning forks so I stopped. Today I played at my golf course for the real test. I got the driver from a seller on eBay, paid less than retail asking price and very happy with what I received. Opened the box to a plastic wrapped grip and head on the driver, booklet, wrench and head cover.

Off to the course with a new Cobra King F6 driver with the 45" Matrix Ozik red tie V4 regular shaft set at 10.5 deg and the heavier weight forward. I game a Titleist 913 D2, 9.5 deg, Bassara 50 gram regular shaft @ 45" and new Cobra King F6 custom fitted irons, I game Ping G-Max irons, red dot .75 deg flat, CFS Soft Regular shafts. I was curious how going from a 9.5 deg driver to a 10.5 deg would perform, especially with the weight in the F6 Driver forward to the Penetrating :blob:setting. I was most well pleased. I think overall the ball launched lower than the 9.5 deg 913 D2. A very solid feel at impact, I was playing a Titleist DT Trusoft ball today. The only thing I didn't like about the driver was the stock grip, that was too skinny for my hands. Will get a golf pride tour velvet super tack midsize grip installed tomorrow. Overall I was very please with the feel & results using this new driver at 10.5 deg and the mid launch red tie shaft. It will replace the 913 D2, relegating that driver to the hot backup status. The irons............I was a little leery after not hitting them that well on the mats at Golfsmith and that hardpan driving range, but today on the golf course I hit them really well. They are a 1/4" short, make them 3/4" shorter than the Ping G-Max I've been gaming so it will take a few rounds till I can find that sweetspot, stance wise, to really hit them consistently well. The impact sound, well after the crack of the Ping G-max irons at impact, I really didn't hear much other than a flush whack sound & feel. Man, they feel really sweet on impact. Same launch angle as the Ping G-Max irons and the distance is equal to the Pings. I am also most well pleased with my decision to purchase these King F6 irons. The Ping G-Max irons are also relegated to hot back up status.

Last edited:
Good thoughts. Always a good thing when you get your new clubs out for that first round and they perform as you want them to.

What would you say is the biggest improvement over the Ping GMax irons? If distance and launch are the same, is it only the sound of the F6 that is better? What are your thoughts about forgiveness? Thanks for the write-up!

I' m interested in the F6 irons. Glad you like them. Interested to hear your thoughts as you continue to get used to them!

tuscondivots, one thing I like with the F6 irons over the G-Max irons is the feel. The G-Max's have a crack sound and a hard, cast feel at impact where the F6's have a forged sound and feel at impact. They just look good in my hands at address looking down at the iron and feel great through the swing. The G-Max's performed well but I never got a consistent solid feel at impact, I guess you could say they transmitted via sound and feel the slightest miss hit.

I look forward to the next round with the F6's, including the driver, and will add to this thread my thoughts.

Played a second round today with the new King F6 driver and F6 irons. I changed the grip on the driver since playing it the first time last Saturday, adding a Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack standard with two wraps of tape. I wish all of you golfers reading this has the luck to find a driver and a set of irons, helps that both were fitted, that suits your eye at address, the shaft and head combine to give you a comfortable feel during the swing, launch the ball on a great trajectory and most of all feel great at impact giving feedback that makes you know the shot is money before you look up to see the shot. I played two balls today, 48 degrees with mild breeze, the W/S Duo U and the 2013 generation Bridgestone e6. Especially with the driver & irons the W/S Duo U gave the least feedback because they are soft, but I like that ball. Goes far for such a soft feeling ball and great to wedge & chip it to the greens. The e6 ball gave a little more feedback from the driver and irons. It is a ball I will never get away from playing, it's my hot spare player ball. Currently playing the W/S Duo U.

These are great irons. I'm a 10 handicapper and I hope to see a drop to an 8 as I get used to the driver and irons. These King F6 irons may not be for all golfers, but they are an iron anyone looking to buy new irons incorporating the new technology should test drive.

Back