Water around the pin

B6NHM

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys. A week or so ago me and some friends played around just after we had seen some bad rain! The pin on the 8th green was surrounded by one big puddle. What are the rules on this? Do you just carry on and play the green as normal? We didn’t know what the rules are on this neither did the group behind. We tried to putt but as you can guess the ball stopped dead. A quick google search didn’t come up with much either. Was everyone’s views on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual standing water warrants a free, unpenalized drop...how big of an area around the hole are we talking? Was the cup also submerged in water? At some point it's just unplayable and rules might not cover it.

Pretty sure it would fall under the casual water rule 25. I believe you would get relief no more than a club length if on the green.

"Good-good."

25-1b/10 Casual Water on Putting Green; Nearest Point of Relief Is Off Green
Q.A player whose ball is on a putting green is entitled to relief from casual water. However, the nearest position affording complete relief which is not nearer the hole or in a hazard is off the green in the rough. If the player opts to take relief, must he place the ball in the rough?

A.Yes. See Rule 25-1b(iii).

(iii) On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it, without penalty, at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard or, if complete relief is impossible, at the nearest position to where it lay that affords maximum available relief from the condition, but not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief or maximum available relief may be off the putting green.

in short, nearest point of relief that affords complete relief from the casual water, not nearer to the hole and not in a hazard

if ball at Pos1, Pos3 is relief point

Dec25-1b-10.5.jpg

Casual standing water warrants a free, unpenalized drop...how big of an area around the hole are we talking? Was the cup also submerged in water? At some point it's just unplayable and rules might not cover it.

It was about a 6 foot radius around the pin and yes it was submerged.

We didn’t know what to do so we just added 1 more shot to the card on that hole

So at that point any relief isn't going to do you good if your entire path to and including the target are under casual water. If it's simply impossible to get the ball to the cup without hitting from the casual water, I'd say that's not covered in the rules as it'd likely be deemed unplayable. 2 putt max and move on if I'm playing casually, but I'm intrigued if there's some vague rule a guru could apply to this situation.

33-2d/2 Hole Surrounded by Casual Water
If all the area around a hole contains casual water, in stroke play the course should be considered unplayable and the Committee should suspend play under Rule 33-2d. In match play, the Committee should relocate the hole.

33-2d/2 Hole Surrounded by Casual Water
If all the area around a hole contains casual water, in stroke play the course should be considered unplayable and the Committee should suspend play under Rule 33-2d. In match play, the Committee should relocate the hole.

in other words with your case....do what you want ? :banghead:

1-4. Points Not Covered by Rules
If any point in dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity.

Yep, and get my money back immediately after I finish the "round".

Take a wedge and chip it straight into the cup?!?! Just don't take any turf with it. LOL

When this has happened on our course, as per Aklawitter, we pick up and call it a day. (Last time, the next hole was even worse.)

Chip it over the water into the cup like JT with spike marks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back