Advice to move up from game improvement irons

black mamba

Reaction score
Handicap
Handicap almost in the single digits last season using game improvement Callaway Irons.Looking to move a step up to improve this upcoming year. Tried a partners set of x shafted D 9 ish blades and loved them. For some reason the stiff shaft and heavier feel really appealed to me. Seems like my consistency increased as well with his irons. The set I have now is very forgiving, but the distance control is a problem . My current gamer irons are solid sticks. But I think I'm ready to move up. Suggestions?

Callaway Apex CF16 and if you can get professionally fit for whatever iron you decide to go with.

His set was custom fit and a 1/2 inch longer and felt like swinging a lead weight compared to my gamer clubs.But they felt great and the ball flew so true and lower. Would like to get his specs matched in a set of current blades. But I know it doesn't work that way . Boy were they so solid club to swing

Sounds like you get along with some heavier shafts. That said there is nothing wrong with game improvement, and there are a lot of irons now that both appeal to lower handicaps and have forgiveness built in. Go get custom fit.

Sounds like you get along with some heavier shafts. That said there is nothing wrong with game improvement, and there are a lot of irons now that both appeal to lower handicaps and have forgiveness built in. Go get custom fit.

Perfectly said.

Tryout a bunch and get fit. I would look for a solid cb iron like the Srixon 745 or Apex line from Callaway also Cobra's forged Tec or Ping I series of clubs would be where I start.

Nice guys. Felt super stiff and was very heavy. Almost like the shaft would never flex. Also I was just nailing his driver that felt the same way. Just laser straight and lower, I called him and made an offer on his set. He told me no way Jose

Nice guys. Felt super stiff and was very heavy. Almost like the shaft would never flex. Also I was just nailing his driver that felt the same way. Just laser straight and lower, I called him and made an offer on his set. He told me no way Jose
Is lower a good thing ? Any idea what your launch angle is?

Don't quote me. But I remember testing a 11 degree driver and the guy told me I was launching it like it was 18 degrees

Instead of trying to buy something that looked good to the eye once, why not go through the fitting process and find something that fits the eye and is then backed by numbers that optimize your launch, spin, dispersion etc? It would be very easy to learn your buddies specs, use it as a starting point with a qualified fitter and then fine tune it to find what's best for your swing/game.

Tryout a bunch and get fit. I would look for a solid cb iron like the Srixon 745 or Apex line from Callaway also Cobra's forged Tec or Ping I series of clubs would be where I start.
I just left my GI irons as well and Srixon,apex ,Cobra forged and Ping I irons were all my top contenders.I tried lighter shafts hoping to increase swing speed,but ended up perfering the 120 g tour Kbs Stiff with the Srixon 745.Stock I believe they are a d3 sw which seems to help my tempo and feel at the heavier swing weight.
Apex were a nice iron and lots of distance with the cup face and Stong lofts but didn't like the look at set up.Corbra forged tec were nice and paired well with the c tapered light KBS shaft,just a bit chunky top line.

Back