Need more driver advice/insight

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
I will start off by apologizing for yet another driver-related thread started by me. As I told JB yesterday when we were exchanging messages, I'm fairly new to the "tech side" of equipment in general. The advice from you all has definitely been helpful and appreciated thus far.

I currently play a Titleist 913 D3 driver. I love the weight and classic "pear shaped" head to it. I went this route because I'm definitely not a fan of super-whippy drivers or super light-weight drivers. Not saying I have to swing something ridiculously heavy or anything, but I do like having some solid feel to it in regards to weight. Still swing between 95mph and 105mph consistently with my 913 D3.

However, in speaking with people on here as well as some people I play with that know, this 913 D3 isn't exactly the most forgiving driver and is more of a player's driver. It makes sense, as I've been consistently struggling with accuracy and club face control.

Having said this, I'm looking for something a little more forgiving but still has that good weighted feel to it as well as the classic shaped head, and isn't super light/whippy and isn't all about speed. Something that would be considered a good "mid-handicapper" driver without going full bore "super game improvement." Also, with a near 4-month old at home, I have to be fairly cost conscious, so looking at drivers probably from 205-2017 era. Lastly, I have a natural slight draw with all of my other clubs. But with the driver, I've been struggling to the right. This has thrown a wrench in my search - many "game improvement" or "mid-handicapper" reviews talk of drivers with a draw bias. Not sure if that'd be good or bad for me given this predicament.

Below are some drivers I've found through research that consistently come up. Wanted to get THP's input on any of these as well as any others that meet my criteria that I don't have listed. Vise versa, if any of the below are far off from my preferences/criteria, then please provide insight on that as well.

Thank you again to everyone! Here's the list thus far:

TaylorMadeM2 (Original)
TaylorMadeR15
CobraFly Z
CobraFly Z+
CobraKing F6
CallawayGBB
CallawayGBB Epic
SrixonZ 565
NikeVapor Fly Pro
MizunoJPX-EZ
PingG
WilsonD300
ClevelandHB Launcher
Titleist915 D2
Tour EdgeExotics EX9

PS - A lot of people have recommended the Callaway XR16. I tried it yesterday at a local golf shop, and wasn't a huge fan. Felt a little light to me. On the other side, I also swung the GBB Epic just for fun (a bit out of my price range at the moment unfortunately, at least for what the shop was charging). I wouldn't say it was my favorite driver ever, I like the feel of my 913 D3 more, but I definitely preferred the GBB Epic over the XR16 by leaps and bounds. Just wanted to say this in case that gives any type of reference or guide to my particular preferences or taste.

Lots of good drivers on that list, but out of that list, for me personally, it is Epic and its not all that close.
If you struggle with launch, I would give a shout to HB Launcher as well. Very underrated product and still currently in line.

The 3 I have played on your list are the Cleveland Launcher HB, Callaway GBB and Callaway GBB Epic. As far as draw bias, from my experience, I think the HB and GBB fit that bill. I thought all 3 offered a good amount of forgiveness on off-center hits.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I have only hit a few of those listed. Given that list, I would recommend either the Epic or the original M2. The M2 is a very versatile driver. Plenty forgiving, but plenty long too. Feels great, sets up nice and square, and looks good behind the ball. The Epic, I hold in similar regard. The M2 feels, to me, a bit livelier at impact. For me, it was not quite as long as the Epic, but more forgiving. Similar loft seemed to launch a bit higher too. Plus, I think the two tone paint looks better in my eye. It seemed to help with alignment for me.

I don't have experience with every club on the list, but I'll say the Srixon Z 565 is a very underrated driver and would fit what you want. Many considered the R15 to be the best driver Taylormade ever made. I found it very easy to hit. And I have not hit this driver, and it may fall out of your price range, but the Wilson Cortex seems like a good match.

I don't have experience with every club on the list, but I'll say the Srixon Z 565 is a very underrated driver and would fit what you want. Many considered the R15 to be the best driver Taylormade ever made. I found it very easy to hit. And I have not hit this driver, and it may fall out of your price range, but the Wilson Cortex seems like a good match.

I like my Srixon F65 3 wood alot, so definitely wondered about the Z 565 driver. Might be one I have to try out.

In my opinion, that list has the Epic and then the rest. Not saying that the rest aren't really good (and obviously some aesthetic things are in play here), but from a performance standpoint the Epic kinda changed the game a bit.

Either way, enjoy the ride and try as many as you can. That is half the fun!

Out of that list - Epic. Big ball speeds, and the ability to adjust shot shape with the sliding weight and hosel adjustments.

M2 was also very long, but adjustment is limited, and I found it difficult to draw.

Lots of good drivers on that list, but out of that list, for me personally, it is Epic and its not all that close.
If you struggle with launch, I would give a shout to HB Launcher as well. Very underrated product and still currently in line.

Definitely interested in the Launcher. Only concern is when I swung the hybrid HB Launcher once, it felt very light. So curious if the driver would be in the same boat. But definitely want to hit this one at my local shop.

A big thanks to Sox_Fan. He is selling me a Callaway GBB in great condition for a very fair price. The reviews of this club sound great, it meets what I'm looking for, and the sliding weight is definitely an attractive feature as well. Can't wait to give it a try soon and see how it goes!

A big thanks to Sox_Fan. He is selling me a Callaway GBB in great condition for a very fair price. The reviews of this club sound great, it meets what I'm looking for, and the sliding weight is definitely an attractive feature as well. Can't wait to give it a try soon and see how it goes!

IIRC, you can order after market weights for the GBB Epic that are heavier than stock. That may help you with the weight issue. As to your purchase, congratulations! I bought the Epic last year after struggling for years with a TM Aeroburner SuperSpeed. Next to my Cleveland CBX wedges, it's probably been the best golf purchase I have ever made.

Back