How would you play this (Part 3?)

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so, attempting to play by the rules and trying to minimize the damage to your score on this hole, how would you approach this.

You e just hit a 262y drive and ended up near these tree roots. You have ~94y to the pin and the lie as pictured (that's my GW in the pic).

Go!
be6ff5139bec9c580f6deb30e7c9f91a.jpg
c963ebc4cd9dac279d7dd236ab7a6909.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Unplayable lie and take my medicine.

I’m not good enough to play any fancy shots and I realized how much better I play just taking my medicine in these situations my last round. I’d probably just try to advance/chip a 7i as close to the green as my skills allow, get on from there, 2 putt and take my bogey.

Non-competitive round, I move it an inch left and hit away, no penalty taken. In competition, I call my opponent over and ask their opinion if I can take a drop w/o penalty. If they say "no", I then decide if I have a competitive round going. If I do or it is match play, I hit it as it lays and apologize to my club later.

Depends on the risk of injury. I'd either look to advance it out with a 6i chip or I take the unplayable.

I'd probably just chip it forward if possible and get mad at the golf gods by mumbling under my breath on that one.

Any of my buddies, even if we were playing for money would say move it as long as your next shot is just as difficult minus setting on tree roots. No need to destroy a club. In a tournament I take an unplayable and drop.

100% play it. Looks like its sitting up on that root nicely.

I can't really tell how high that root is off the toe side. If not very high, I'd at least consider blading 6 or 7-iron.

In no case would I attempt a full or regular shot going after that ball. It would either be a purposeful blade or deem it unplayable.

I'm not risking injury or damage so I'm taking an unplayable.

Boot wedge! lol

I'd put just enough club on it to make it playable on my next shot or take the unplayable.

Any of my buddies, even if we were playing for money would say move it as long as your next shot is just as difficult minus setting on tree roots. No need to destroy a club. In a tournament I take an unplayable and drop.
It wasn't on any roots. Close, but it was a clear shot.

Edit: it was sitting on one, but it was inline with the line of play. The toe was clear of the knob to the right... barring a very, very wild swing.

Probably just chip a 6 or 7 to advance it 20-30 yards and leave myself a little half wedge in.

The other 95% of the time, I roll it off. No penalty because I'm rebellious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I should name these things "How did I play this shot?"!

Anyone wanna take a stab at it? Guess the club I pulled, shot attempted, and approximate results?

I should name these things "How did I play this shot?"!

Anyone wanna take a stab at it? Guess the club I pulled, shot attempted, and approximate results?

Hybrid bump and run? Popped up and went about 50 yards?

I know one thing, with my wrists, there’s no way I’m playing that shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid bump and run? Popped up and went about 50 yards?
Wrong club, wrong attempt, not close on results.

Better than that.

Next...

I know one thing, with my wrists, there’s no way I’m playing that shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks much worse than it was. If you zoom in, you can see. It wasn't bad at all.

Gap wedge to 5’

I like your thinking. Almost, but not quite that good. I hit a little knockdown GW to about 15'. Ran it too far past and 3 putted for a stupid, stupid bogey.

CORRECTION: I was thinking of another GW today. This one ended up about 30' away. The 3 putt was accurate though... ugh...
779a54451fb262ef7e2c17fd481cd6fa.jpg
f2f491c08908628bc565c4e1abe77083.jpg

I like your thinking. Almost, but not quite that good. I hit a little knockdown GW to about 15'. Ran it too far past and 3 putted for a stupid, stupid bogey.
779a54451fb262ef7e2c17fd481cd6fa.jpg
f2f491c08908628bc565c4e1abe77083.jpg

Kinda figured it was some kind of GW since it was in the picture. Nice shot. If I ever hit a knockdown anything it’ll be purely by accident.

I'd get the white spray paint outta my bag and make it ground under repair. Just kidding!! Behind the ball looks clean so if not on roots I'm going. If on roots I may just pull out the 3 wood or hybrid and try to advance it as best as possible.

What is between me and the green/hole? If it is just fairway or open area, I'm going to take my 8i most likely and just try to hit a small punch forward to get as close to the green as possible. If there is water or another hazard or trouble area, then I am just going to chip it to a spot where I can play a wedge into the green.

"Ok, so, attempting to play by the rules and trying to minimize the damage to your score on this hole, how would you approach this."
Your asking this via playing by the rules so I don't quite get answers that include ignoring them.

Being the shot is not obstructed (heading towards the hole) Im probably taking a mid iron (like 6 or 7) and an easy swing trying to punch it up towards the green best I can and maybe get lucky and bounce/roll on. Don't think id be concerned much at all with club damage with an easy mid iron punch.

But live and in person its possible I might feel/see things a bit differently. So if I didn't choose what I mention above then my other option is of course taking an unplayable stroke and penalty drop. But even then im just not seeing the need in this case,....at worst Im seeing here is (in place of taking a penalty drop) is to just take an even easier punch with even more confidence of no worries about the club and I may nor get near the green but Ill be further out and up vs taking the drop.

What is between me and the green/hole? If it is just fairway or open area, I'm going to take my 8i most likely and just try to hit a small punch forward to get as close to the green as possible. If there is water or another hazard or trouble area, then I am just going to chip it to a spot where I can play a wedge into the green.

Look at post #20.

Back