Which option to go for..... Ping G410 iron fitting

r80rew

Reaction score
Handicap
So i have had a fitting this morning for the new Ping G410 irons and I loved them. I had much better displacement and gained at least 15 yards in comparison with my G15. Oddly looks as if i should be playing Green Dot where as i have always played Blue Dot. However during the fitting we found two shafts that were the stand out performers they were the KBS Tour Stiff & ALta CB Stiff Graphite. Both gave different flights with the KBS being the lower of the two and is currently the shaft i am leaning towards. I just don't want to make the wrong choice...... What would peoples thoughts be that have played these shafts?

I guess the question is why are you leaning towards the KBS? Do you like the lower ball flight? Does it feel better over the other? There are plenty of benefits to graphite, little lighter generally speaking, easier on the joints if you have any pain.
They are both great choices, but personally I would choose graphite.

I guess the Graphite was so Alien because it was so light but i liked the way it felt. The KBS felt much more familiar in weight even though its heavier than the AWT reg that i play now. The step up to a stiff shaft is the right move as my swing speed would suggest i always should have been playing stiff shafts.......

The lie angle change wouldn't concern me. Swings change over time and as long as its consistent with your ball flight it doesn't matter. I play the KBS shafts in my irons and love them. I play the Alta graphite in my hybrids and do get some really high shots (user error I'm pretty sure) at random occasions that I can't control. If you like the way it feels and it gives you confidence, put it in play.

I guess the Graphite was so Alien because it was so light but i liked the way it felt. The KBS felt much more familiar in weight even though its heavier than the AWT reg that i play now. The step up to a stiff shaft is the right move as my swing speed would suggest i always should have been playing stiff shafts.......

I was in a simllar boat when I got fitted for my irons a couple years back. Went through multiple shafts and the Aerotech i70's just felt best and yeilded best numbers / flight just worked. Although not technically graphite, the steelfiber was different. Moving out of a steel shaft in irons was something I had to trust and trust in the fitter. Bottomline for me, if you get a good fitting and it feels / performs the way you want, go with it. I am glad I did, I am still happy with my irons almost 2/3 years later. just my opinion and experience from my fitting.

I think thats got to be totally what gives you the most confidence. I mean I play graphite irons and will never go to steel but that is just me.

I don't think you can go wrong, but here is what I would do if possible. Go back on another day and hit those two options again in the lie angle you were fitted for. Different day, potentially a different swing, see what's most comfortable to you.

If I received great performance from both and felt similarly to you, just drawn a bit toward the KBS shafts, I wouldn't overthink it. I'd trust my gut and go with it.

If I were split right down the middle, I'd give a long ponder to graphite simply due to the long term potential benefits. But that's just me as I'd suffered golf related wrist issues in the past. A long while ago now in the past but it would still factor into my decision if all else were equal.

I have good relationship with the guy who did the fitting for me so I will be able to go back and hit both shafts again. I am awaiting the price for a set in both Shafts but really want to be placing an order sooner rather than later :banana:

Those shafts are night and day different in weight. Which one do you like better?

DT

Thats my dilemma and why I am asking the THP family for their experiences and thoughts. I can see myself playing both shafts and not being disappointed from the balls I hit yesterday but how will I feel in 5 rounds time? Its a big investment for a non-club ho to make the wrong decision so I am try to gather as much information as I can.

If I received great performance from both and felt similarly to you, just drawn a bit toward the KBS shafts, I wouldn't overthink it. I'd trust my gut and go with it.

If I were split right down the middle, I'd give a long ponder to graphite simply due to the long term potential benefits. But that's just me as I'd suffered golf related wrist issues in the past. A long while ago now in the past but it would still factor into my decision if all else were equal.

Solid advice here. Knowing what I know now, I am always looking to play graphite shafts.

If they both worked for you and you’ve got a preference of one over the other, I wouldn’t overthink it though.

Solid advice here. Knowing what I know now, I am always looking to play graphite shafts.

If they both worked for you and you’ve got a preference of one over the other, I wouldn’t overthink it though.

Why do you lean towards Graphite shafts? Its hard not to over think the choice as these will likely be in the bag for another 10 years.

Why do you lean towards Graphite shafts? Its hard not to over think the choice as these will likely be in the bag for another 10 years.

I lean graphite because of injuries. Graphite is easier on the joints my experience. I also like a lighter shaft, but you can find graphite in heavier weights.

If you’re planning on holding these in the bag for 10 years, I’d look harder at graphite, unless you’re in your 20s, injuries come easier as you age, so better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Thats my dilemma and why I am asking the THP family for their experiences and thoughts. I can see myself playing both shafts and not being disappointed from the balls I hit yesterday but how will I feel in 5 rounds time? Its a big investment for a non-club ho to make the wrong decision so I am try to gather as much information as I can.

Here's my take: if you have the game to play KBS Tour stiffs, which are quite stout and 114g per Ping, you probably swing quite fast ~ 85-90 MPH with irons. I wouldn't think the OEM proprietary graphite @ 82g would be quite as stable for you. Are you laboring at all to swing the KBS Tour stiff? I have not swung the two shafts, but I would think KBS regular would be more equivalent to the Alta stiff.

Personally, I tend to like heavier because subjectively I feel I am more accurate but that's probably because I have a funky swing that goes too far inside on the way back.

DT

Here's my take: if you have the game to play KBS Tour stiffs, which are quite stout and 114g per Ping, you probably swing quite fast ~ 85-90 MPH with irons. I wouldn't think the OEM proprietary graphite @ 82g would be quite as stable for you. Are you laboring at all to swing the KBS Tour stiff? I have not swung the two shafts, but I would think KBS regular would be more equivalent to the Alta stiff.

Personally, I tend to like heavier because subjectively I feel I am more accurate but that's probably because I have a funky swing that goes too far inside on the way back.

DT

I have a quick swing speed so not labouring to swing the KBS tours although i could feel the weight. No 'bounce/flex' in the Alta in my swing when using the Stiff version but in the regular i could feel the movement. I would have liked to have tried the KBS C-tapers but the fitter didn't have them so that ruled them out.

I have a quick swing speed so not labouring to swing the KBS tours although i could feel the weight. No 'bounce/flex' in the Alta in my swing when using the Stiff version but in the regular i could feel the movement. I would have liked to have tried the KBS C-tapers but the fitter didn't have them so that ruled them out.

That's great to hear. Sounds like both options are a good fit. I'd recommend to give them another hit and make your selection based off what feels good, dispersion, and if you plan to keep them 5-10 years where you'll be then.

I don't have quite the speed that you do. I did a Trackman iron fitting at a Titleist Thursday in Fall 2017 and was measuring 82 MPH average with 7 iron. The fitter thought AMT Red S300 or AMT Black R300 would work best, but none of the shafts were night and day better for me. I preferred the weight of AMT White R300 and didn't see any drop off in distance/dispersion so I decided to go with that now.

DT

Everything being equal, I'd opt for the shaft that gives me a higher ball flight. I assume the higher ball flight would translate into a bit more carry, and less roll, which is great for iron play. But that's just my personal preference.

Everything being equal, I'd opt for the shaft that gives me a higher ball flight. I assume the higher ball flight would translate into a bit more carry, and less roll, which is great for iron play. But that's just my personal preference.

There really wasnt much between the two. I am now thinking do KBS have something lighter? Ie C taper light or the tour 90?

I will go have another swing with both.......

Spent the full day musing over this and reading reviews and watching Youtube videos - I think if i were to park my ego at the door I would jump at the Alta shafts. If i found that they didnt suit how difficult is it for a fitter to change shafts?

So played 9 holes (2 balls) this morning with the G410 7i fitted with the KBS tour 120 roughly hitting 20 shots. Was impressed with the distance and dispersion in general but the shaft wasn't a great fit for me. The club didnt have the shaft available in 1/2" longer than standard which didn't help as i was never comfortable over the ball but struggled with height off the floor although off the tee wasnt too bad. My normal miss is a draw/hook but the misses today were more fades but not slices. Going to try the Alta CB stiff next weekend and see what the result looks like but i already have a price for the KBS C Taper lite shaft...........

So played 9 holes (2 balls) this morning with the G410 7i fitted with the KBS tour 120 roughly hitting 20 shots. Was impressed with the distance and dispersion in general but the shaft wasn't a great fit for me. The club didnt have the shaft available in 1/2" longer than standard which didn't help as i was never comfortable over the ball but struggled with height off the floor although off the tee wasnt too bad. My normal miss is a draw/hook but the misses today were more fades but not slices. Going to try the Alta CB stiff next weekend and see what the result looks like but i already have a price for the KBS C Taper lite shaft...........

For me the C-Taper Lite was a stout-rigid-harsh shaft. I only played one in a Mizuno driving iron but did not enjoy it.
My G700 set shaft has PX LZ 5.5, a lightweight yet smooth feeling, pleasing impact-sound shaft. Try one if you can.

CTL are a fantastic shaft pretty much in the middleish of the launch and spin spectrum that still gives great stability.

So I count myself lucky that my friend is now the assistant pro at my local and I have a good relationship with the Pro. They have let me have the G410 with various shafts for the last few weekends giving them a real test. This weekend I have had the Alta CB stiff 7i iron for 2 full rounds & I have tried to use the iron off the tee and fairway/rough as often as i can and was amazed with the shaft and performance - Straight & Long!!! I finally think that I have found the combination for my next set of irons :banana:.

Todays update:-
Called in at American Golf and hit the AP3, i500, G410 & P790. Much to my suprise I hit the P790 10 yards longer than anything else but the best bit was the dispersion which was 8 yards off centre. These are amazing clubs and are now at the top of my list in the recoil stiff shaft.

Back