Backpack vs messenger bag for laptops

• Backpack

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • Messenger bag

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Banana yea no kidding. Honestly used to be a backpack guy but got some really weird looks walking into meetings with clients or prospects. One even asked me if I had just left a class of some sort. It was then I knew it was time to move on from the backpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL been there, but the trend lately with the companies and sellers I work with most have backpacks these days so I think it's all come full circle.

LOL been there, but the trend lately with the companies and sellers I work with most have backpacks these days so I think it's all come full circle.

Yea I hear that. I’m sure it’s dependent on industry and culture. I work in a Uber conservative, good ol boy industry.

Yea I hear that. I’m sure it’s dependent on industry and culture. I work in a Uber conservative, good ol boy industry.

Yea I'm in software haha. People look at you weird if you're dressed up most of the time.

Yea I'm in software haha. People look at you weird if you're dressed up most of the time.

I'm in software as well :act-up:

Backpack is easier to travel with for me. Daily use, i'd go messenger bag. There are some nice quality leather ones I have been looking at.

Backpack. Just easier for the grab and go. Plus it doesn't look like a big purse ;).

I have a 17" laptop so no way in hell am I carrying that in anything other than a backpack.

So I'm in the market after several years of being on the messenger bag side of this conversation. To frame it up, what's best for a road warrior that would need to travel with a 15" laptop, tablet, and occasional change of clothes that can fit under an airplane seat? What say you THPers? Backpack, messenger bag, or something else...

As someone who racks up a ton of airline miles my go to bag is the Air Porter from WaterField. It is extremely intelligently designed and when paired with a carry on roller is perfect for my needs.

If I'm not going to have a carry on roller then I typically will use a weekender duffel with a laptop compartment like this one from Salt Co.

As someone who racks up a ton of airline miles my go to bag is the Air Porter from WaterField. It is extremely intelligently designed and when paired with a carry on roller is perfect for my needs.

If I'm not going to have a carry on roller then I typically will use a weekender duffel with a laptop compartment like this one from Salt Co.

Ohhhhhhh those look nice! Yea I'm 100k+ a year in the air myself. I'm so hard on gear when I'm on the road I would worry about destroying the leather. Well beyond giving it that "aged rugged" look lol

Backpack. Just easier for the grab and go. Plus it doesn't look like a big purse ;).
Its European!!...for those wondering if I have lost my mind or drunk, it is a old Seinfeld reference to a man purse type thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ohhhhhhh those look nice! Yea I'm 100k+ a year in the air myself. I'm so hard on gear when I'm on the road I would worry about destroying the leather. Well beyond giving it that "aged rugged" look lol

I would seriously consider the AirPorter with that many miles in the air. That and my Briggs and Riley roller are two of the best purchases I've ever made.

Its European!!...for those wondering if I have lost my mind or drunk, it is a old Seinfeld reference to a man purse type thing.

Good reference! I like the Hangover reference as well "it's not a purse, its a satchel. Indiana Jones had one."

When I was traveling, I used a Swiss Gear carry-on rolling bag and a matching Swiss Gear laptop backpack. The backpack was useful as well for walking to the office when not travelling. Extremely comfortable to use. (Yes, I did software and networking.)

Plus, it's a piece of fashion too and I look dang good with it around my shoulder!

Are you sure that statement is correct, from what I hear YOU make the bag look good!!!

I'm fond of this bag that we got at the Odyssey Experience. You can fit a lot of stuff in it.
1fb932e81632ba465630dd0e2b99f96c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm fond of this bag that we got at the Odyssey Experience. You can fit a lot of stuff in it.
1fb932e81632ba465630dd0e2b99f96c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

INSTA-WIN!!

If I need to pack clothes in it I’m going backpack.

When I was traveling, I used a Swiss Gear carry-on rolling bag and a matching Swiss Gear laptop backpack. The backpack was useful as well for walking to the office when not travelling. Extremely comfortable to use. (Yes, I did software and networking.)
Exactly what I still use, great stuff, very durable

Just did this trip with my Ogio Alpha 525 and it was everything I could have wanted. The mod pouch options give you more storage and organization if you need it, or remove them if you don't.

For frequent travel, the backpack is the way to go. I daily carry a laptop w/charger, 12" iPad, Bose noise cancelling HP's, 2 note books, misc. cables and chargers, pens, first aid stuff, etc. The best part is how the pack fits over the handle of carry-on luggage. Slip it on and roll through life. Plus, there are so many options out there, your sure to find the perfect match.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After spending almost 10 years travelling 40% of the time internationally and long walks at times between terminals, I switched from messenger bag to backpack. While I did enjoy some of the conveniences of the MB, the backpack is so much more versatile and easier on your body. I blame years of carrying a briefcase or MB with my left arm for some of the arthritis and chronic tendinitis in that shoulder.

I have both a backpack and messenger bag. I recently bought a nylon Timbuktu brand messenger bag and I really like it! It holds my laptop in a separate, padded compartment, and has a Velcro strap that keeps the computer in the slot. The slot even zips open, and lays flat for TSA checks. There is also a strap on the back of the messenger bag so that I can slide it onto my luggage and not have to carry it.
It’s a great messenger bag! I do like how a backpack doesn’t slide off my shoulders better, but I got tired of carrying a backpack into surgeon offices.
Here’s a link to the one I have:
https://www.timbuk2.com/products/20...MImpzU1rLK4AIVgiFpCh2n_wqwEAQYBSABEgIfkPD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're just carrying a laptop and tablet and some other small items a messenger bag is great. If you have to carry other stuff the get crowded and bulky quickly. I take my laptop and a change of clothes for the gym everyday to work. Backpack is the winner for me.

Back