Do you get angry about your golf?

Yes. Last year. I was so frustrated at the end of July I took a month off from reporting rounds, and just played practice rounds. If I didn't like the lie I used my foot wedge. Just played for fun and didn't keep score. I rediscovered why I was playing the game in the first place. Then I went back on the system at the end of August.

I almost had a angry moment on the first hole, this morning and thought of this thread. Drive went right into water, took a drop, shanked a 7 iron into the same water, walked off with a 8 on a par 4. I could feel a temper tantrum building and thought "sod it, its a game, I'm out with my wife and it will spoil it for her". Went on to card a 91, with one other blow up hole where my ball decided to go for a swim off the tee.

Its a strange game at times.

absolutely stunned that there are so many angry golfers........joking of course.
it really is refreshing to read thru some of the stories and issues, and see how people deal or don't deal with this.

I'm actually going to forward this on to some golfing buddies.
keep it coming.

I used to.
Now I am more understanding that a person of my handicap has that number based largely on skill.

If I hit a bad shot, I understand that the road to improvement means eliminating those bad shots.
It's the bad shots that help drive improvement

99% of the time no. Sometimes i'll get upset after a bad shot but the good news is I have another one coming pretty quick so i let it go.

99% of the time no. Sometimes i'll get upset after a bad shot but the good news is I have another one coming pretty quick so i let it go.

I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting topic. I know not a single golfer who does not show emotion on the course. The difficulty comes with controlling that emotion. Do not take the fun of the game away from your playing companions by carry the disgust past that shot. What helped me to control my frustration was to remind myself that everyone around me needs to respect me when I finish playing. Respect doesn't only come from playing well. It comes from how you handle yourself on the course. Done with my preaching! ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have an older guy who I play with regularly and when I get frustrated he always just reminds me that things could be a lot worse. We are lucky to be able to enjoy golf, be outside on a nice day, and enjoy it. There are a whole lot of bad things that happen in this world, if you are lucky enough to be able to enjoy a sunny Saturday on a golf course, why ruin it?

You know what fixed my attitude on the course? Playing a couple rounds with people who got pissed off at their game play. Once you see what it's like on the other end, you realize you better shape up.

I can't imagine getting angry. I mean at my age and just 3 years into playing.... it's a game; a challenge, and not an easy challenge at that. So much to learn and master. I just get curiouser and curiouser.

I went through a few rounds of very frustrating golf. I found my expectations were much higher than was realistic for my first year of golfing. I learned to lower my expectations and just relax and have fun. Funny thing happened though is I started playing better golf!

I still get frustrated, but that's life I guess.

I have experienced the gamut of emotions on the course, and, yes, anger is one of them. In that case, it's usually frustration at hitting a poor shot and I'll follow it by calling myself a dumba$$, or worse. But, I try to have it behind me by the time I get to the next shot. The game is hard enough without carrying that around with you.

Something I thought about earlier on this subject is the yin and yang side of the sport. I'm just not one of those guys that are stone faced throughout the round. If I make a really good shot I'm probably going to celebrate, no Happy Gilmore stuff, but I'm going to be happy about it. I think it's only natural to get frustrated and angry during a bad round, not club throwing or breaking them over my knee mad, just a little foul language from time to time. I'm human...

When I was younger I would get upset if the game wasn't going like I wanted.
Now, I am much older, wiser and more patient.

All of the above has made me a better golfer.

For over a month (middle of January through earlier this week), I legitimately despised the game at times. I've always enjoyed playing, and even when I had a bad round (which would be over 100 for me)... I was able to look back on the good shots I hit and realize that I was lucky to be playing and there was another round on the horizon.

During the time period I mentioned above, it seemed like no matter what I did on the range or in my garage... once I got to the course, I couldn't hit the ball. Not only was it frustrating... it was also extremely embarrassing since I played in 2 tournaments during that time.

Earlier this week, someone here gave me a piece of advice and it made things click. Suddenly, I was hitting the ball with confidence instead of trepidation and fear. I posted a couple of 9 hole rounds that really made my love for the game return.

Even during the frustrating times, I didn't really get angry. I did, on one hole, double hit the ball out of a bunker... and that made me angry because it's something I could NEVER do if I was trying, but because things were going poorly, it happened and made me see red. I picked up on that hole, took my triple bogey maximum score and moved on. For the most part... I realize golf is a game and it's never something I'm going to make a living on, so I take the bad with the good and call it a wash.

what was the advice??
For over a month (middle of January through earlier this week), I legitimately despised the game at times. I've always enjoyed playing, and even when I had a bad round (which would be over 100 for me)... I was able to look back on the good shots I hit and realize that I was lucky to be playing and there was another round on the horizon.

During the time period I mentioned above, it seemed like no matter what I did on the range or in my garage... once I got to the course, I couldn't hit the ball. Not only was it frustrating... it was also extremely embarrassing since I played in 2 tournaments during that time.

Earlier this week, someone here gave me a piece of advice and it made things click. Suddenly, I was hitting the ball with confidence instead of trepidation and fear. I posted a couple of 9 hole rounds that really made my love for the game return.

Even during the frustrating times, I didn't really get angry. I did, on one hole, double hit the ball out of a bunker... and that made me angry because it's something I could NEVER do if I was trying, but because things were going poorly, it happened and made me see red. I picked up on that hole, took my triple bogey maximum score and moved on. For the most part... I realize golf is a game and it's never something I'm going to make a living on, so I take the bad with the good and call it a wash.

Your golf partner is kidding himself. Anger is what is inside of him, it's not something golf made him do. It's said that golf reveals your character. Your golf partner is avoiding an opportunity for golf to help reshape his character. I speak from experience. I used to get angry about all kinds of things. Like many others who have posted here, I needed to change and did. Golf helped me on that journey.

what was the advice??
It was in my swing thread... a combination of playing with my swing and keeping my elbows in by putting a headcover in my armpit.

Once I focused on keeping my back elbow in throughout my backswing and downswing, I was hitting the ball solidly and coming more from the inside.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

I don't get upset when I hit a bad shot. When I do hit one, I remind myself that Dustin also hits it OB,Graeme also shanks his irons, Phil also puts it into the water, Rory also chunks his chips, and Ernie also yips short putts.

I just call myself an idiot, find out what went wrong, then move on to the next shot.

Still no reason to be angry.

It all depends on what time of the season it is and how I am playing. Early rounds, I rarely get aggravated. Summer? From time to time I do get annoyed at myself if I'm playing poorly. As a 3.0 I expect to play to a certain level. I shouldn't get annoyed but I do sometimes. However, for the most part I am very very relaxed on the course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back