Good on the range crap on the course

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Needing some advice. I practice quite a lot, more than I play probably and I practice well, hit the ball well but when I get on the course more often than not I am having terrible rounds. My ball striking is so inconsistent with fatting it or thinning it, slicing it the lot. I need some advice or words of wisdom to get the best out of me on the course. The only part of my game which really is consistent is my chipping and short game.

Thanks

Howdy. Couple questions before I take a gander at an answer. Is this a new phenomenon, or has it always been like that? Also, when you hit full shots in practice are you hitting from grass or a mat?

I'm guessing the range is low stress whereas on the course your stressed due to it actually counting.

But wait your a 8 Handicap? Maybe a sports Psychologist is in order, A lot of people can drain Putts or shots all day long in practice but when the Lights are on it's a whole different story. Maybe work on your pre-shot routine to take the thinking part out of it.

What do I know I suck.
JMHO

I was listening to one of those hot shot coaches (Haney or Butch maybe) about this exact topic.

Their words suggested what we think is a "quality" shot on the range, has no frame of reference. They suggested most of us rake and beat, do not have any actual target in mind to know whether we are good or not, until we are hitting a couple of good full swing strikes. Of course, the course is not perfectly flat and we have only one kick at the cat.

That most of us hackers, need to learn how to practice, not rake and beat

Hey guys,

Needing some advice. I practice quite a lot, more than I play probably and I practice well, hit the ball well but when I get on the course more often than not I am having terrible rounds. My ball striking is so inconsistent with fatting it or thinning it, slicing it the lot. I need some advice or words of wisdom to get the best out of me on the course. The only part of my game which really is consistent is my chipping and short game.

Thanks

Put some heat on yourself during range practice sessions. Do whatever you can to simulate actual golf course conditions.
For example, "play" (on the range) a course you know well. Swing driver, then 8-iron. The 2nd hole may be a par 3 6-iron shot for you, so swing that club. The third hole may be a driver, 3-wood par 5, so swing both of those clubs. At the range make every swing with a target in mind, just as you would do when playing a course.

Hey PatsFan,

Something that helped me over this hump approximately 10 years ago was to hit fewer balls on the range, but to instead hit more tournament simulated "shots".

Give this a try:
1. Stretch. Get loose before you even think about hitting a golf shot. DON'T use range balls to "loosen up".
2. 15 balls to get a solid feel for your hitting surface (grass or turf) working your way up from short game to your driver.
3. 35 balls to simulate course holes. This should take a while. This will require a range finder. Start shooting weird distances to simulate actual shots that you're going to need to hit in a round. Examples: 117 with trouble short / 138 with trouble right / 275 with trouble long and left / 176 and you have to be dead on. Don't ever hit a shot more than 3 times consecutively. This will also build a muscle mind connection that will help you to start treating every swing like a shot as opposed to "machine gunning" through a bucket.

Again, everybody has their own thing and what works for one will not work for all. I hope this gets you to where you want to be!

Great input guys, I like the idea of practicing like it’s a round. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick up one of the classic golf psych books such as "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Rotella.

I found that I would always tense up when I got out on the course, as if I really needed to grip it and rip it in order for the ball to go anywhere. I'm much more consistent with my play when I really force myself to relax and not strangle my club. I still get in trouble occasionally, mainly after a poor shot where I have a tendency to follow that up with another poor shot because I find myself gripping hard again trying to "make up" for my previous poor shots.

The other thing that has really helped me is to stop worrying about my score. Yeah I am still trying to shoot my best score and score low on every hole, but when I just do not care about what I shoot I actually score better.

I used to refer to it as a form of stage fright. Suddenly, it all matters!

And what it is, is just that (for me). Going from more of a process of routine and repetition to something very much results oriented on the course. Results matter of course but often we may stress the result before ever pulling the trigger. That can only add tension and invite poor play.

On the course, I try my hardest to care very much about what I can control: course management, pre-shot routine, keeping a positive attitude and much less about what I can't, results.

Matter of fact, some of my best rounds were when I massaged my brain into not caring much at all. But all of my best were when I focused upon process. The only result I'd consider was when visualizing the shot at hand and soon to be attempted. Done so, with zero pangs of hope as to result, all process.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Hey Barry!

What is your pre-shot routine on course?

I found that hitting at the range can hide fat shots pretty effectively. Meaning, hitting a little fat off the mat can go OK or even really well. Then when it happens on the course, we try to correct and end up thinning etc.

Foot spray on the mat will show you if you are hitting fat shots off the mat.

Hey Barry!

What is your pre-shot routine on course?

My pre-shot routine is very poor, very rarely will I take a full practice swing. I look at the shot needed and spend more time over the ball thinking of what I need to do, almost hesitant to pull the trigger.

My pre-shot routine is very poor, very rarely will I take a full practice swing. I look at the shot needed and spend more time over the ball thinking of what I need to do, almost hesitant to pull the trigger.

How does that align with your pre-shot routine while on the range? Do you do the same thing over each shot while practicing?

Hey guys,

Thanks

All I can say is play more and make adjustments for different lies on the course. Get on the course when not many are out there and play several balls from different lies - up, down, sidehill lies, etc. Do the same with chipping. Learn. BUT PLAY.

Pre-shot routine? Yes. Every time. Create the shot behind the ball, make adjustments, envision it and the flight.

Address the ball and go - don't hang over the ball. Just let the ball get in the way.

How does that align with your pre-shot routine while on the range? Do you do the same thing over each shot while practicing?

I don’t tend to have a pre-shot on the range, I’m guessing this is something I really need to create

Think long think wrong.

As a good friend says “it’s a long walk from the range to the 1st tee”

When I am playing fast I don't mind skipping the practice swing, but I've got to say that practice swings do a great job in prepping the body for a full commit swing.

Pre-shot routines also help to pull the trigger. You take your practice swing, you do your waggle, and then you let it rip.

... The simple answer is "it doesn't count". Many take second putt and ole it thinking Yea, now I know the line and speed, but more often than not the second putt doesn't count so there is a freedom to the stroke both physically and mentally that isn't there when it counts. On the range if you hit a bad shot, you just tee up another ball, but on the course you add a stroke, two or even more if you hit a bad shot and that goes against your score.

... Practice like your playing is good advice but I would add always change your target to the left and the right with as many locations as possible never hitting in the same direction twice because you get comfortable in the same stance hitting to the same target. I have always thought the most beneficial practice is on a course late in the day. Say 1.5 or 2 hours before sunset, just start playing shots on the course, hitting as many as needed to a target. It doesn't really count but you do have to chase your bad shots so there is a penalty for poor swings and you are always changing positions and targets, just like when you play.

The book Zen Golf by Joesph Parent changed my whole outlook on golf for the better.
Lost 90% of the anger and enjoy the game more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually @antihero I am going to bring it to you next time, might be just the ticket to free up the That golf game I know is right there about to come out strong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back