JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you prefer packed sand or fluffy stuff? Why?

Packed and preferably wet. Love to open the face and power through, generating as much spin as possible.

Give me the fluffy stuff. For me it's much easier to get under which a smoother swing

Packed sand for fairway bunkers - easier to get clean contact to get the ball out and further distance

Fluffy around greens - easier for finesse shots and controlling how it's going to come out.

In between. Too fluffy and it’s chunky city, too packed and the ball is flying out of there with no chance of stopping.

If I had to chose, packed versus non as I feel I can be more aggressive through the sand. The resistance fluffy sand offers is not good for my bunker game.

Packed for sure. Just for no other reason that the courses around my area rarely, if ever, have the fluffy type of sand. That's why if I ever went to play courses that did have it, I would have to switch my wedge to one with higher bounce & change my technique a bit. But right now I have a lot of confidence in packed sand cause I know I can power down thru it with speed or nip it clean to get a lot of spin. Just something I'm used to I guess. Just like greens ... I prefer Bent over Bermuda for the same reason.

I like the fluffy stuff. Easier for me to get behind the ball and pop it out nice and soft (green side bunkers).

Consistent sand is all I ask for.

Packed, or at least very coarse and heavy. Fluffy and deep sand just kicks my butt for some reason.

I prefer the softer stuff, gives me more room for error and less chance to bouncing off the packed stuff and skinning the ball 3 fairways over.

Bunker Type

Greenside give me the fluff. Can control the flight really well.

From the fairways give it to me a little thin so I can pick it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluffy greenside and packed fairway.

I prefer a fluffy top level, and appreciate when they are a little firm just under that top level.

Fluffy greenside and packed fairway.

But how many courses do you play that actually have Both? I mean it's all or nothing isn't it? They don't bring it two different types of sand unless they are switching them out for one or the other. I've never played with both. They are either hard or soft ... not both. Unless there is run off out of some of the bunkers ... then they eventually become hard.

Packed sand for fairway bunkers - easier to get clean contact to get the ball out and further distance

Fluffy around greens - easier for finesse shots and controlling how it's going to come out.

Exactly this.

Packed as i seem to be able to get out of them better than fluffy ones.

But how many courses do you play that actually have Both? I mean it's all or nothing isn't it?

My home club is this way. They pack the sand somehow in the fairway bunkers and it stays loose/fluffy in the green side bunkers. The sand is all the same.

My home club is this way. They pack the sand somehow in the fairway bunkers and it stays loose/fluffy in the green side bunkers. The sand is all the same.
Weird. I guess I play in the slums.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Either is fine. I just take what the course gives me.

Fluffy so I am not skulling the ball 30 yards over the green with no spin.

We tend to have packed and dense bunkers here so I've become use to them, which means I'm more comfortable in them.

Fluffy sand for free side bunkers all day every day. I just don’t feel like I have to take as big a swing and I can use a little more finesse.

just once I would like to play in a properly cared for bunker - sand that isn't packed like concrete, properly raked to eliminate the runnoff ditches and puddle marks, with no gravel in it.

Packed. I can generate a lot of spin with the sand that way. I tend to dig too deep in fluffy sand.

Back