Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

I'm another person who loves this club. I got the Classic XL 3 wood last year and its not leaving my bag anytime soon. I got fit for a hybrid a few months ago, and during the fitting I mentioned I don't hit hybrids very well. The guy says I might be a fairway wood person, but I didn't think much of it. After battling with the hybrid for a few I decided to sell it and picked up the 588 5 wood a couple months ago. Its now one of my favorite clubs in the bag!

It's nice and easy to hit off the deck, which helps me make a smooth swing with it. At first I thought it was too long, but I love the ball flight with the 6Q3 shaft, its med-high and feels identical to the xcon 6 in Classic XL. I don't want to speak too soon but this club has really helped me keep the ball straight, or not far off target when I use it on par 5s or after a bad tee shot.

Does anyone know if Cleveland measured the stock Matrix shaft and gave it an International flex rating ?
Curious how it compares to other shafts.

I may need to put this on my lust list :in-love:

OG, I could not get the three wood off the ground from the deck at all, fwiw. It's a beast off the tee though. But I am just one guy, a pretty mediocre fairway wood guy at that.

This 5 wood was back in the bag today and it was excellent off the tee the three times I needed it. 3 pars from excellent starting position because of this bad boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG, I could not get the three wood off the ground from the deck at all, fwiw. It's a beast off the tee though. But I am just one guy, a pretty mediocre fairway wood guy at that.
I need to update this because I took the 3W to the course again today and hit it pretty well off the tee and the deck. I moved the ball a little further forward in my stance and was more deliberate through the swing. I shouldn't post so soon after first hitting clubs. Going to keep it in the bag for now.

I've been hitting the JetSpeed lately also and hitting the two side by side has made me realize that I prefer the shorter 588. One thing that stands out to me about this club, how little sidespin I generate with it. I can hit some bad hooks with a lot of clubs, but unless I just put an awful swing on the 588, this thing goes very straight.

I just got a 7W off ebay and today was its first round. Only 2 shots but one was good and another was great. 213 yard par 3 and landed on right side of the green about 15 feet away. Great club so far.

I just got a 7W off ebay and today was its first round. Only 2 shots but one was good and another was great. 213 yard par 3 and landed on right side of the green about 15 feet away. Great club so far.

What kind of distance are you getting from the 7 compared to 3 and 5? Thanks

bkb is a big hitter. I'm almost dead average. I own the 588 5w and 7w. I see about 10 yards difference from the deck but find the 7w a little easier to hit. The difference is from the tee. There's about 10 extra yards in there for me with the 5w whereas the 7w is about the same distance but with even higher ball flight.

I don't have enough hits on the 7W to say for certain yet. But I'd say between 210-220 for the 7w.
I GOT RID OF THE 3w. great club but for me it was only about 10 yards longer than the 5w and I didn't have an extra spot for it.
5w is about 225-240 for me. On my good strikes of course :)

Thanks guys. I'm in the same boat as I'm just going with one fairway wood regardless. Pretty happy with 3 but thinking I might be more comfortable with more loft, shorter shaft, and you know, always thinking.

The more that I hit the 7w, the more that I enjoy it. It gets the ball up in the air quickly, and I'm getting a pretty steady 180-190 out of it depending on lie and conditions. For comparison, I'm about 90 MPH with the driver, and average drives go 225 (with goods going 235ish). Previous 7Ws have netted me about 175 on average, so there's a little more pop to this one, presumably due to the 42.75 inch shaft.

The best thing about this line to me is the aesthetics. Because of the finish of the face and the sole, when I clean it up, it looks just like the day I acquired it. That just can't be said for the PVD finish clubs. The crown is just beautiful and classic. It's exactly what I think a metal wood should look like.

I also like the sound and feel. The contact feel is really solid. The face doesn't feel springy like some, but is more like a mini hammer that is just crushing the ball.

Cleveland was selling off old stock, but those seem to be drying up some. I'd encourage any looking for a balanced, easy to hit FW that isn't over sized to check out the 588.

Anyone know what the stock Matrix shaft weighs in these? I believe its a Matrix Ozik 6.

Thanks
Eric

Anyone know what the stock Matrix shaft weighs in these? I believe its a Matrix Ozik 6.

Thanks
Eric

It's a made for red tie. I seem to think it's a little lighter than the after market

Thanks
Eric

Poor answer on my part it is a made for 6q3. So yea Ozik 6

Has anyone also played the adams fast 12 3 wood that could give some thoughts and comparisons? I'm trying to bring in a new affordable 3 wood to challenge my classic xl and think I have it Narrowed down to the 588 and fast 12. I'm looking for forgiving, not hooky, and playable off the deck in to greens.

Has anyone also played the adams fast 12 3 wood that could give some thoughts and comparisons? I'm trying to bring in a new affordable 3 wood to challenge my classic xl and think I have it Narrowed down to the 588 and fast 12. I'm looking for forgiving, not hooky, and playable off the deck in to greens.

For what these are going for right now, I don't think you can go wrong. I haven't played the Adams, but my guess is it would be hard pressed to compete with the 588 line.

For what these are going for right now, I don't think you can go wrong. I haven't played the Adams, but my guess is it would be hard pressed to compete with the 588 line.

I've hit the Fast 12 and owned the Fast 11 TI. I liked the 588 a lot better. Much easier to hit, particularly off of the deck.

I have looked at getting rid of the 7w, and there is no reason for me to do so. This thing is so solid, great looks and I hit it well off the deck, something I have struggled with in the past. For the price on these, I don't think you can find a better option.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

After getting a new 3W and driver, I was thinking about getting a GBB Heavenwood... Any of you thinking about doing that, I would see if you can get your hands on the 588 7w. Specs are about identical (except without the adjustable loft/lie) and this one is MUCH cheaper.

Over a weekend where my game was all over the place with almost every club, every time I hit this club, I pounded it. Twice I got on the green from 200+ yds with it, which is quite a feat for me because a real good driver for me gets out there about 235.

As a favor, if you see me in other threads or in person talk about getting rid of this club, slap me because it is just stupid how good it is.

Found one of these heads buried on a shelf in the room and decided to plug a spare shaft in it for my HS kids to try out, hit it a couple times today before handing it over tomorrow though and man I forgot its a fun head.

I'm still using the 3W I have the 3,5&7, I found I hit the 3&5 the same distance off the deck but the 3 wood a bit further off the tee, the 7 wood is only 10 meters shorter than the 5 wood, I sometimes replace my 3 Hybrid with the 7 wood I hit them the same distance.

Last edited:
Found one of these heads buried on a shelf in the room and decided to plug a spare shaft in it for my HS kids to try out, hit it a couple times today before handing it over tomorrow though and man I forgot its a fun head.

Totally is. My 5 wood still makes some appearances

Its absurd how well my 1-bag hits this 3w (paired with a Fubuki) and just how phenomenal the flight and sound are. Forgot just how MASSIVE of sleepers the 588 fairways and hybrids were.

I hit my 15.5* back to back with the 12* 1.5 Mini and Aeroburner Mini Drivers and the Cleveland was 10 yards longer than the Aeroburner and only 10 yards shorter than the Callaway 1.5 Mini. They are such a solid and underrated wood.

Back