Please Help: What's this junk in my bag? + purchasing decisions...

jbardet

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey, all. First post here. Read all 21 pages of the TaylorMade r9 irons review/thread and wanted to share some of my own clubs and decisions that need to be made going forward.

First, my clubs. What the hell are these things? I've been hitting them myself for 5 years after a buddy randomly bought them for me ($80) after I borrowed them for the range at the Presidio Golf Course in San Francisco.

Can anyone place the year or guess at some/any specs?

All I know is that the two irons I'm showing say Square Two on them. The 3rd club is a 60 degree LW I bought off a course for $10. Can anyone guess what that thing is?

V9WcG.jpg

W7Lgn.jpg

wWflA.jpg

26xA0.jpg

So, thankfully I am in the research/demoing stage right now en route to my first iron purchase (besides the irons you see pictured). I have only been playing seriously for the last 3 months or so but already came down from a 30 HC to about a 19...using these clubs.

I demoed the TM r9's and MX-200's and oh my god I can't tell you the gasp I let out after the first couple hits on the range. I couldn't believe the technology these days and the soft silky smooth butter feel of the Mizno MX-200's. I did like the distance a lot on the r9's and I had good control. I was hitting the r9 6iron about 205 yards consistently. Whereas I also tried the 6iron Mizuno Mp-52 and was only hitting it 180-5. The mp52 was a little too much club for me. I'd prefer clubs with a lot of forgiveness but still letting me know where I mishit the ball. i'm leaning towards the r9s after one day on the range but I have MANY more to demo!! any suggestions would be great but there are so many... sheesh. I'm a lefty by the way.

Thanks, this forum is amazing!

If you like the R9s, but seem to want to like Mizunos, why not give a look at the MX-1000s. Much more comparison there to the R9s. Every brand will have something for you to take a look at. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Those are so wierd... Whatever you buy, make sure you have it fitted to your specs.

Found the companies website:
http://www.squaretwo.com/sites/courses/view.asp?id=610&page=33168
Looks like an independent golf manufacutring company. Bio says they've been making clubs since 1974.

Hey Jbard sorry to change the threads subject but I see you're from San Mateo California. I lived there from 92-98. I heard they completly remodeled the local muni there. (coyote point? still called that) Wondered if you've played it since it's changes.

absolutely. i'm going all out with my next irons, definitely getting fitted. I don't think my local range had the MX-1000's to demo, only the 200 for a lefty.

lol, no guesses what these "Square Two" blades are? umm, i'm wondering if they are women's clubs???

from this square two website:
http://www.squaretwo.com/sites/courses/view.asp?id=610&page=33169
THE SQUARE TWO STORY

Since 1974, Square Two has been dedicated to creating and designing golf products for men and women. That’s why we are the established brand that players have trusted for more than 35 years to deliver a high-quality product tailored to their specific needs. Square Two returned to it's roots in 2008 and re-launched an upgraded men's line of golf products to support it's already established women's line.

Square Two was actually purchased by Adams Golf a few years back.

The wedge looks like it's suggesting 20/20 vision. Thought it might snake eyes at first but think not.

Snap Hook, awesome!
yup, played there on saturday and a few times the week before. they completely redid it (years ago now). Pretty easy course with nice open fairways. I can reach the green on a few par 4's and such. shot an 88 (par 70 course) but with a total joke of 14 combined shots on hole 1 and 18 hah!

my local range, Mariners Point, in Foster City, CA (tryin to think if it was there in 98' Snap... think so.) told me not to hit my 7 iron because it's so bent that they don't wanna see it breaking off into the range or hitting someone in the process. LOL.. man, i can really hit that 7 iron pretty well too.

Just had a genius idea. I will E-MAIL the folks at square two! I can't believe I didn't think of that,... i didn't know brain farts could last 4 years?

I agree with JB, I hadnt hit the Mizunos until a few days ago and the 1000's are a very nice iron. I am playing the Cleveland CG7 Black Pearls and I have grown very very fond of them. They feel very good. I think it is just going to depend on what feels the best to you. Just dont make do, take the time to try out as many as possible. Good Luck!!

i saw those CG7's at the store today. what beautiful clubs. i also got hooked up on the simulator today and maybe my distance is lying to me b/c of wind at the range. It said i was hitting the r9 185, but outside with wind i guess--though I thought the wind was more sideways than behind me--i was hitting it 205!

so my fitting guy told me i'm pretty much standard length and maybe 1 degree up on the lie. Whereas the other guy who fit me at another golf mart location told me i was 2 degrees and +1/2 in length with the same club/shaft setup.

i compared the MX-200 vs. R9's again today and still like the r9's the most. but i hit both like crap today for the most part because i'm still sore from hitting 350+ balls two days ago.

my local range, Mariners Point, in Foster City, CA (tryin to think if it was there in 98' Snap... think so.) told me not to hit my 7 iron because it's so bent that they don't wanna see it breaking off into the range or hitting someone in the process. LOL.. man, i can really hit that 7 iron pretty well too.

Yea Jbard that placed opened my junior year in High School. Good Practice facilities, I remember the par 3 course being BRUTAL hard in the afternoon. People don't realize how windy it gets there in Foster City. There was one hole, want to say 6,7,or8 where the holes turn back into the wind. I remember it being a mid iron back then (8-6iron) but when the wind was up and in your face i remember hitting a 5 wood once and being 10 yards short.

Thats great to hear about Coyote Point, I still have family in that area and everytime I'm in the area I want to go play that course. Yea I know there are nicer courses all over the bay area, but that was where I first started playing and it was the home course for my high school team. Way back in 96 my high schoool teammate hit a slice off the first tee and broke his OWN car window. That sucks no matter how you slice it. (your welcome for the pun) That is still one of the craziest memories of golf I have.

Quick note about your club decision: I like Taylor Made a lot, but their lofts tend to be too strong. I used to have the r7's and I crushed them. I hit the 7 iron 200yards easy. But then I checked the lofts on them and found the 7 iron was like having a 5.5 iron from my old set. This wasn;t such a big deal at first, but then I realized that I didn't need my 3 or 4 iron (Duplicate distances with my hybrids) and I now had a 35 yard window between my Gap and PW (PW was stock TM, GW was not) Anyways I love the look and feel of the r9's, I'm just warning you might have to make adjustments to cover your distances. (You might not need the 3 iron but might need their gap)

Oh and the member: Harry Longshanks is doing a long term review of the r9 irons. It's in the forum's, you should check it out.

Thanks Snap for the club info. The thing is, I have no hybrids or even a 3 iron in my bag--I broke the old 3 that I did have. So right now my bag goes Cleveland 360 Driver --> 4 - PW --> + 60 degree LW. that's all i got. i thought that i was getting too much loft perhaps as well, but i really didn't see a difference with the mx-200, and although I started hitting the MP-52 pretty well, which had a much more controlled loft, I wanted more of a GI club head.

And yeah, I love that LTR of the R9.. read all 23 pages and post in that thread a lot.

By the way: UPDATE to Square Two club situation:
Mailer Subsystem sent me an e-mail back saying that that was not a real e-mail address anymore :( Do I have to email Adams golf now or something? hmmm

Thanks Snap for the club info. The thing is, I have no hybrids or even a 3 iron in my bag--I broke the old 3 that I did have. So right now my bag goes Cleveland 360 Driver --> 4 - PW --> + 60 degree LW. that's all i got. i thought that i was getting too much loft perhaps as well, but i really didn't see a difference with the mx-200, and although I started hitting the MP-52 pretty well, which had a much more controlled loft, I wanted more of a GI club head.

And yeah, I love that LTR of the R9.. read all 23 pages and post in that thread a lot.

By the way: UPDATE to Square Two club situation:
Mailer Subsystem sent me an e-mail back saying that that was not a real e-mail address anymore :( Do I have to email Adams golf now or something? hmmm

As mentioned earlier, the company was acquired by Adams Golf, so you would have to contact them. Im going to warn you that I doubt they will have info on them. The entire R&D Team and Marketing team is from Adams and not the acquired company.

I think I found a very close relative of your S2 blades - these Sabres were listed on eBay: Square Two Sabre Blade

216779860_o.jpg

ha! how about that, nice find!

update: still waiting for response from seller.

Last edited:
Yea Jbard that placed opened my junior year in High School. Good Practice facilities, I remember the par 3 course being BRUTAL hard in the afternoon. People don't realize how windy it gets there in Foster City. There was one hole, want to say 6,7,or8 where the holes turn back into the wind. I remember it being a mid iron back then (8-6iron) but when the wind was up and in your face i remember hitting a 5 wood once and being 10 yards short.

Thats great to hear about Coyote Point, I still have family in that area and everytime I'm in the area I want to go play that course. Yea I know there are nicer courses all over the bay area, but that was where I first started playing and it was the home course for my high school team. Way back in 96 my high schoool teammate hit a slice off the first tee and broke his OWN car window. That sucks no matter how you slice it. (your welcome for the pun) That is still one of the craziest memories of golf I have.

i missed this post yesterday.

That is absolutely HILARIOUS hahaah! I wish I played golf in high school. Maybe once or twice a year back then.
And it's no joke about the wind at Mariners Point. I play every Wednesday afternoon there, and yup, 6 and 7 head right into the wind. But then I go to the range which has the wind behind you and sometimes I can reach, vertically, the middle of the back net!!
Mariners is just about the only driving range I've been to in the last 5 years, so I don't really know my distances well. Only on the course when I'm not really paying attention. I should probably know a lot more about my own swing and what not, but I'm just transitioning from a "who gives a crap, i just want to swing" player to a student of the game.

Back