First ever handicap!

Veryslowsnail25

Reaction score
Handicap
I've played for about 12 years on and off now and never actually got a handicap. I was crap as a junior and only played rarely as a visitor on various courses up until this April when I decided to take the game up properly (post Masters syndrome...) Anyway, after rounds of 91, 84 and 86, I popped into my club to find out what it was - apparently that equates to a 12.4! I was expecting anything between 14-17 so it came as a nice surprise.

I don't think I'm actually 'worth' that handicap yet though, but it's great to have the motivation to keep practising! Anyway, thought I'd share my happy moment with you all and thank anyone who's given me encouragement or pointers over the last few months :smile:

You have an official handicap after 3 rounds?

Thought it took at least 10 rounds myself.

Nice. Were those the 3 rounds used to calculate the handicap and you had a number of other rounds recorded?

Yeah, so I've handed in quite a few cards (lost count of how many) and I think those are the competition ones.

My club need 10 scorecards of 18 holes and 2 competitions and need to get score of 108 max on par 72 .... Not easy

Nice one, I am trying to work on mine to reach single figures and you are slightly ahead

Thought it took at least 10 rounds myself.

UK CONGU system is different to the US systems, and they don't work on the slope system either, so 3 official cards (counted as rounds played with another player marking your score and every hole completed correctly, no gimmies, mulligans, penalties all counted, etc) will get you a CONGU handicap and you only need to hand in 3 marked cards during the year to keep it active

congrats

Nice one, I am trying to work on mine to reach single figures and you are slightly ahead

UK CONGU system is different to the US systems, and they don't work on the slope system either, so 3 official cards (counted as rounds played with another player marking your score and every hole completed correctly, no gimmies, mulligans, penalties all counted, etc) will get you a CONGU handicap and you only need to hand in 3 marked cards during the year to keep it active

Nice explanation. Good info to know.

Back