I cheated on my putter today. + a small course conditions rant.

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
After my day of rest yesterday, I went out for a late afternoon round with my brother at my home course. Unfortunately, from Sunday's lush tournament conditions, today the greens were nearly destroyed! For some reason they insist on continuing to verti-cut and sand them after they were finally in the best shape of the summer. Not to mention our 4 day, 150 plus contestant Club Championship is in 2 weeks. While the verti-cut is helpful and pays off, our greens were already very full, cut short, and playing true. Now, there are countless deep gouges and ridges in every green, and the 14th is new this year and is nearly dead as it is. Yet they continue to cut and sand it. Anyway, you should really get a stroke a hole after what they've done to them. Tournament coming up in 2 days, so hopefully they come back quickly. The course has also undergone several other projects, including the current task of replacing the crabgrass in the fairways with Bermuda.

Back to the putter woes. I played well this past weekend, making some very nice 5-10 footers, but I was missing way too many short, straight-forward putts. My stroke was solid, but I made some careless mistakes, and rushed a couple. So today I brought ol' trusty Rossa Fontana 7 to the course and had a nice new red golf pride grip put on. Went straight on to the course without any warmup and I must say, had a really solid round of putting, despite the bad conditions. This is a face balanced putter, and I felt so much more fluid and free in my stroke today, plus it is much easier to align than my current gamer.

I think it will be in the bag through the rest of the week and see how it goes!

i tried something similar a month or so back but i didn't putt well at all.it had the opposite effect with my putting so the trusty old ping was put straight back in the bag.

lets hope your greens are back upto scratch for the club championship.

Two weeks should be plenty of time for the greens to heal. It has to be done for the health of the greens and there is never a good time to do it.

Cheating can be fun some times..:alien:

Have to stick with what works and sometimes a change isn't what is needed, just a small reunion.

I did the same thing, I switched from my Scotty Newport and was using a $20 WalMart putter that was in the garage. Putted great with it for a little while then went back to the Newport. I assume it got jealous and stepped its game up, because I've been doing well with it latley..

I should also mention, the stick that has been put in the corner has been in the bag for 3 years. It replaced ol trusty that is now back in the bag. Like a long lost lover that you just found again on facebook, or something like that.

Two weeks should be plenty of time for the greens to heal. It has to be done for the health of the greens and there is never a good time to do it.

I believe he said the championship is in two days. I doubt that they'll be back perfect in just a couple days

I believe he said the championship is in two days. I doubt that they'll be back perfect in just a couple days

I think tourny in 2 days but the club champ is in 2 weeks?

I think tourny in 2 days but the club champ is in 2 weeks?

Haha my bad I thought the tourney was the club championship... but still sucks for those in the tourney

Club tournament was today, and the greens were wretched. Still deep ridges all over every green. I had several putts stop short on DOWNHILL slopes! I will not be playing another round on my course until they heal. Championship Match play starts September 17, with an 18 hole stroke qualifier. Top 8 in each flight start Match play the next day.

Back