Club Champion Fitting - Philadelphia

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
Today I showed up for the full bag fitting at the local Club Champion. Steve was my fitter. It turned out we spent so much time with the irons, that we went through the putting fitting, then scheduled another day for the woods and hybrids (although I did hit a few hybrids before we made that decision).

I showed up with my bag and a few different clubs. I brought a few different irons and a couple putters, as I've been switching between all of them lately and part of the reason I was there was to sort all of this out and figure out what would be ideal.

Let me start off by saying I really enjoyed the fitting immensely. My two main goals relating to irons and putters were more than satisfied. But in all honesty, things didn't start off all that well and I was a little put off during the initial discussion. He wanted to know what I was looking to get out of the fitting. I told him I really wanted to figure out the ideal iron shaft for me, check out some iron heads, and spend a lot of time finding the right hybrid/fairway wood combination for my distance game. He asked what irons I was interested in, I told him Adams CB3, to which he just said, "that's out; they don't even make that any more." Ok then. I think he was annoyed I showed up with a few different irons and he wanted me to commit to one. That was fair enough. He then asked what ball I play, so I told him, and he wanted to know why. I told him my last fitting told me to hit them and I liked them, and he kind of laughed it off, telling me the only way to get the ideal ball was to try them all outside during play (although this was like a 5 minute lecture). It felt like the whole schpiel was to show me how little I knew and ridiculous my past equipment decisions were and that I was lucky I would now be set right. At any rate, it was a little rocky start and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking about bagging the whole thing then and there. Fortunately I didn't and I ended up liking my session with Steve a lot.

I warmed up and sure enough, I got my typical "fitter frenzy," where I forget how to hit a golf ball. This has happened every time I've been fit for irons. I managed to hit enough OK shots for him to get some readings. We then talked a little bit about my swing, my transition and what he was thinking in terms of shafts. He discussed numbers with me, including landing angle, which is essentially how the ball starts descending from its peak. He ideally wanted the ball to gradually rise to its peak, then start falling much steeper. He also talked about spin numbers and explained that spin is my friend to keep the ball in the air. Smash factor, ball speed and others were discussed; I'm still digesting it all, but it was helpful. Specifically, he thought I needed a heavier and stiffer shaft, which was a relief to me, because that's how I've recently felt with my swing has been with my current set. I was to hit 6 balls in each shaft/head combination. We started out with a Nippon shaft in regular flex in steel (I forget which one) with the Apex iron head in 6i. Right off the bat, I was swinging much better and Steve liked the numbers much better than my gamer. It was tough, because I wasn't hitting my gamer as well as I can so I felt it wasn't an ideal comparison, but the numbers didn't lie. Steve then told me that I was swinging a shaft 1/2 inch shorter than standard; he wanted to see if I noticed a difference. I definitely did. After each shaft, we looked at the numbers and dispersion. The dispersion with the Nippon was very vertical, meaning a little sporadic distance wise. Steve wanted to get dispersion much tighter vertically while he was a little more liberal with horizontal dispersion.

I then hit the KBS Tour 90 in regular flex. I have a set of KBS 90's and like them a lot, so was excited to hit them with the Apex. Sure enough, I was hitting the ball much better. I'm fragile soul, so maybe I started feeling more comfortable with Steve, but I was in a groove and was happy I was hitting the ball well. The dispersion with the KBS was good, but ball flight was a little too high.

Then came the Aerotech Steelfiber. This shaft felt really good and the numbers reflected that. I started out the with i80 in regular flex and height came down while distance went up along with a tighter dispersion. Steve wanted to try the i95 because he still wanted the ball flight lower. The numbers with the i95 were good and it was a tough choice, but the i80 was slightly better so we went with that.

Now that the shaft was decided upon, it was time to try different iron heads. The Apex gave me really good numbers, so all of the other iron heads were playing catch up at this point. Next up was the SpeedBlade, as I have a set and Steve thought maybe the new shaft would beef up the numbers. They did not. We then moved on to the Titleist 714 AP1. I hit this club in a GG for an hour on Monday and really liked how it felt and today was the same thing. The numbers were better than the Apex and I felt a little more confident standing over it, so Steve thought we had a winner. We decided to try a few more. I wanted to try the Anser, which was nice; I hit one of the furthest shots, but there were a couple not so good; not enough to dethrone the 714's. He then wanted me to hit the i20's, but actually stopped me after a few shots because the combo just wasn't working. I agreed.

Last but not least, I tried the Mizuno MP H-4. Before I hit this one, Steve noted that we had been going for a while and that if I wanted, we could break up the fitting into a couple sessions if I was getting tired. Based on how I hit the Anser and i20 (read crappy) compared to the other irons, he wanted to make sure fatigue wasn't setting in. I guess that fired me up because I annihilated all 6 shots of the H4 further than any of the others and with airtight dispersion, right in the center. Weight felt great, impact was smooth and sound was terrific. Sound didn't used to affect me, but now it does and these fit the bill perfectly. Steve seemed delighted as I was. We then talked about lie, loft and gapping, as well as how the irons would transition to the wedges. My lie was half a degree upright, which actually was good to hear, as this time last year I was fit 2 degrees flat and my recent lessons have focused on getting a lot more upright.

As for wedges, Steve recommended the Mizuno T-4's in 50, 54 (bent to 55) and 60, with the 50 put in the same shaft as the irons. He feels having the same OEM wedges as irons is important for groove composition and feel. I didn't get to hit them or anything, so will need to try them out before even considering replacing my good old RTX CB's.

We started to get into hybrids, but then decided on doing a separate long game fitting, as he wanted a fresh swing for those numbers, especially since woods seem to take the longest. It is winter here and I haven't been playing for the last month and a half, so that sounded good to me. The only thing I'll say is that of the few hybrid combinations I tried, I'm not sure any were good enough to take the X Hots out of the bag.

We ended with the putter fitting and this was probably the most eye opening for me, as I have never done any type of analysis with my putting. I showed up with two very different putters, my Maranello, which has 90 degrees of toe hang; and a Bettinardi BB33, which is face balanced. I decided to putt with the Betti and right off the bat, Steve noticed a number of problems with my putting. Of course, I made 4 out of 5 putts, so take that, SAM (which is the putter fitting system they use). At any rate, I'm a push putter, just like Ben Crenshaw (good enough for me), which means I have an open stance and putt to the line, not with where my feet are lined up. I was also strangling the grip, so he immediately saw I needed a slightly larger one. I also deloft the putter at impact, which is apparently a good thing. And I stand pretty up right, which gets me off balance, so he shortened my length to 34.5 inches. At the end of the day, he liked about 30 - 45 degrees of toe hang instead of 90 with a 34.5 inch length and a 2.5 Slim grip. I putted with the Scottie Sonoma, which he felt was perfect for me. It felt pretty good, so we shall see about that.

Generally, I found the fitting extremely educational. Steve answered any and all questions I had, explained the reason behind certain equipment selections and really went into a lot of detail with the putter fitting. I thought the wedge "fitting" could have been a little more in depth and there was a little more sales pitching than needed to be, but this fitting was much more detailed and thorough than my last one at another facility. It's certainly one of if not the premier fitting stores in my area and I feel satisfied with two of my main goals going into the fitting; determining an ideal iron shaft/head combination and an ideal putter configuration.

I'm scheduled to go back next week for my woods and hybrids, so I will have more to report. I am wondering whether my hybrid and woods should be shortened half an inch as well, just like my irons were. I really want to get the distance part of my bag dialed in, so I plan on asking a ton of questions and trying out a lot of stuff to get there.

For anyone considering this, I would recommend it. They have a 50% off deal right now, so it felt like a no brainer to me. You learn a lot and what's better than talking about how to improve your game for a few hours with professionals?

Now I need to figure out how to get a set of H4 iron heads and some Steelfiber i80 regular flex shafts. If anyone has spares, just let me know. :act-up:

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed recap of your fitting. I'm glad the experience came around for you. I look forward to reading about how the long game fitting goes!

Nice write up Philly. I'm thinking of doing same. Can't wait for your follow-up. Hope it goes well.

Wow that was awesome! Glad it recovered from the rough start. I badly want to undergo a full, all encompassing fitting like this one. I think it's great that he started you off with irons and not driver like many players do. Looking forward to the second session recap!

Great stuff, Chris. I remember a month or so ago you said that you were going to rebuild your swing in 2014. Are you going to hold off on getting new clubs and then get refit, or are you just going with what the output gave you yesterday?

Awesome. I'm really gonna have to experience one of these fittings someday.

Thanks for the write-up. I always enjoy hearing about fitting. I find the putting info very interesting. Did he go into any details as to why he thinks delofting the putter at impact is a good thing?

Great stuff, Chris. I remember a month or so ago you said that you were going to rebuild your swing in 2014. Are you going to hold off on getting new clubs and then get refit, or are you just going with what the output gave you yesterday?

I spoke with the fitter about this yesterday. I've been going to lessons and there were some major flaws (flat and laying off) that I've really worked on getting my swing on plane, and my ball striking has improved dramatically. But obviously my swing will continue to change; I mean last year this time I needed 2 degrees flat, now it's half a degree upright.

If you actually go through the purchase with them, you're able to come back in periodically and they will check your specs and fine tune anything that needs changing. I figure the MP H4's are definitely clubs I can grow into for a long time, but ultimately, I'll evaluate everything at the end of this year and see if I need to go back for different shafts, etc.

With all that said, I will be holding off for as long as I can while I take lessons and at some point may ask to come back and compare the Steelfiber i95 to the i80 since the numbers were so close. At this point, I could see those numbers changing in the next couple months and the i95 actually becoming a better fit.

Thanks for the write-up. I always enjoy hearing about fitting. I find the putting info very interesting. Did he go into any details as to why he thinks delofting the putter at impact is a good thing?

He did. Apparently delofting the putter gets the ball to roll true and as a result rolls further with less contact. When there is too much loft in the putt, that's what makes the ball skid and bounce after contact. For me, I was kind of pop putting like Snedecker because the ball would roll further than I expected even with small strokes. Easing the tension in the hands with a bigger grip and getting me in a more athletic and balanced position with a slightly lower putter helped free up my stroke a lot, so my tempo is a lot better and I'm able to utilize the whole delofting thing more often.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on my 6i LM numbers. The fitter seemed to like them, but shouldn't the spin numbers be higher? This is with the MP H4 with the Aerotech Steelfiber i80 in regular.

Smash factor Ball speed. Spin rate. Launch angle. Land angle. Carry

1.40. 105.5. 3291. 20. 38.4. 157.2

1.43. 108. 3721. 20.3. 41. 160.9

1.40. 105.3. 3645. 20.1. 39.8. 155.3

1.44. 107. 4659. 21. 44. 154.4

1.39. 105.6. 4493. 20.7. 42.9. 152.5

It looks like higher spin meant less carry though.

Any input would be great. I'm returning to the fitter this Tuesday; anyone have equipment suggestions, etc. to improve these numbers?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting numbers. Your launch angle is very high for a 6 iron if my memory serves me correctly. As such, it's beneficial to have less spin to maximize distance. I believe my launch with 6 is about 13-14 degrees which still gets me peak height over 100 feet with spin around 5000.

Do you know the peak height of your shots? I'd say if you keep 20+ degrees of launch you need to keep spin at or below 4000.

You may want to try a shaft that lowers launch a few degrees and raises spin a little and compare results.

Thanks Brett; that is helpful. We were trying to decide between the Steelfiber i80 or i95, so maybe I'll play around with the 80 in stiff or the 95 and compare the numbers. I just got back from the range and the flight with my irons was a little high (KBS 90 stiff), which I attribute to recent lessons getting my swing more upright, so I may need to convince the fitters to tinker a little more with the shafts.

Today was the second part of my fitting, which focused on woods. Let me just say I hit a LOT today and am gonna feel it tomorrow. It was a lot of fun.

Before we started, I had a few questions for Steve on the putter, wedge and irons we chose from the last fitting. On the putter, I wanted to know what exactly I needed to look for and as some putters' weight changes from the 34 to 35 and he wanted me in a 34.5, whether I should get a 34 and extend it or a 35 and shorten it. Steve told me he'd opt for the heavier, more stable putter, which is generally the 34, and extend it a little, counterbalance, etc. But really, he felt my current Bettinardi was a great fit, he just wanted to shorten it and put a larger grip on it. That was nice to hear. I also wanted to find out more about the wedges; what bounce angles he thought I needed, etc., and he explained that he wanted a little less bounce than I have now, but would shorten the wedges just like the irons and get the lofts consistently gapped with the irons. As for the irons, I actually asked to hit them again at the end of the session and Steve was happy to let me fire away. They still felt very good. I also toyed with the wedges and was hitting them great. Still not sure if there's a need to switch, but maybe if I get the irons I'll consider it.

At any rate, Steve asked what I wanted to start off with and I had no preference, so he thought driver would be a good start. I had my trusty R1 in tow and impact was feeling great, but I wasn't getting the distance I normally see. It was perplexing and I almost questioned the machine, but Steve was impressed with the numbers and agreed I was making great contact; he felt I was losing distance because of my club path to the ball, resulting in very low spin. Apparently, you either want high launch with low spin or mid launch with spin, either of which keeps the ball in the air, but my launch wasn't high enough for the little amount of spin I was getting. Now, I'm a big R1 fan and there are things I immediately took stock of, maybe I wasn't teeing it as high as I usually do, etc., so I was taking this whole discussion with a grain of salt. I simply see better numbers than I saw with the R1, even when I was fitted into it last year. But I anticipated I was going to be a little stubborn with the driver and wanted to see some other numbers and swing some other drivers to figure this whole thing out.

Steve gave me another shaft with the R1 head. Like last time, I was to hit 6 balls and we'd check out the results. The shaft was a Diamana Kai'li, blue board regular flex. It felt very good and of course, the numbers were better. Steve explained he wanted to get me in something heavier with more flex to increase the launch and get the spin up a notch, and the shaft seemed to do just that. We then went to a Diamana Ahina I believe and that turned out to be a little stiff. Then it was a Fujikura 65 grams, which was also good, but Steve really liked the numbers from the Kai'li and that was good with me, so we started trying out different heads. We started out with the Optiforce, and I hit it terrible. Steve told me that the combination of a heavy shaft and lighter head was probably not ideal for me. A diplomatic explanation and I agreed. We then went to the Jetspeed, which was better, but didn't blow me away. Then it was time for the SLDR and yep, that was the winner. Was bombing it with nice little right to left action. We were able to get the launch higher, spin stayed low but respectable and it felt great. Ironically, I just listed the SLDR as one of the biggest disappointments for me in 2013 because I was intrigued by the high launch low spin concept but didn't hit it well with the stock shaft, but apparently the different shaft was the change I needed. As the R1 and SLDR work off the same adapter, it's time to grab the Kai'li and use it with my R1 until I'm able to snag a SLDR head. We then tried the SLDR head in a couple other shafts just to see how things panned out, but nothing lived up to the prior combo. I was hitting a 10.5 and only wonder what would have happened if I went up in loft.

Now it was on the fairway woods and hybrids. Honestly, I think I was an enigma for Steve in this department. I told him my goal here was to figure out the ideal combination of FW's and hybos for my long game, but felt pretty confident with my current set up. He didn't know whether to go 4W, 7W, then a couple hypos, or another long iron, hybo, and a couple hybos, or some other combo. We decided on going with the MP H4 4i, as it's just as easy to hit as a lot of hybrids and would fit in with the iron set, then go with a 3h and keep my FW's. Steve then wanted me to then take that out to the course, figure out where any gaps were and circle back if need be.

I hit my 4h and 4W and hit both pretty well. I actually hit the 4W further than a few of the drivers, so I felt like it would be a tall measure to figure out a hybrid that would do better. We started with the Ping G25. All hybrid heads are 3h. I'm hazy on what shafts I tried, but we settled on the ACCRA RTF m3 Dymatch 2.0. I never heard of it, but it felt good. I'm a little confused because it looks like this is a fairway wood shaft. But anyways, we tried the Jetspeed, SLDR, Adams Idea and 913 D3, but the G25 and SLDR were the best. I loved both of them, but Steve liked the distance and dispersion of the G25 better. I actually liked the SLDR a lot and may have to revisit this. But I will say that no combination ever felt as hot off the face as the XHots. I really liked the dispersion of the SLDR and G25, so maybe I'll get the shaft and put one in play. Again, Steve felt that heavier shafts with more flex worked better for me and it's tough to disagree. The misses weren't as dramatic.

Generally, I learned a lot, had fun, and feel like I was set in the right direction in what to look for in equipment. It was a high end fitting, meaning the fitting was top notch and the equipment/shafts/grips they utilize are generally pricey. For the wedges and irons, the total would be $2,500. But as far as indoor fittings go, it's the best I've seen. I just don't know if the shafts I was fit into have any semblance to the stock or custom OEM shafts, which would really save on costs.

I wish there was a way to hit more varieties of the club rather than just 6i or 3h's. I mean, it'd be tough to shell out $2,500 for an iron set when I've only hit the 6i a handful of times, but never hit any of the other clubs with that particular shaft. And they had other club heads I would have loved to toy with in different shafts like the Mizuno Fli Hi or the Altitude, but wanted to hit those in 3 or 4 instead of the 6 irons they had.

For the most part though, I had a lot of questions about what type of shafts and profiles would work best for me. Those questions were answered. I really liked Steve and he was a tremendous source of information. He also gave me some really good swing advice that believe it or not, worked to a tee. It was very conceptual and philosophical, right up my alley.

For anyone thinking about getting fit at one of the Club Champions, I would definitely recommend it. If anyone has questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Those are two seriously comprehensive and good reviews there Philly Guy. Nicely Done.
I had a Putter fitting at their DC location and thought it was a great operation.
Debating getting iron fitting before sale ends mid-feb. just scared to death I'll love some Miuras or something other than my relatively new Bridgestones :smile:

As an update, I went through the Mizuno shaft optimizer yesterday and it recommended Dynalite Gold in stiff or Nippon 1150, hard stepped. These are dramatically heavier than the shafts I was fit into and I attribute my lessons and some swing changes taking effect. I may wait a couple more months and go back in. But the Dynalites felt pretty good, so maybe they are the ticket.

I have some more thoughts I'll post in a little bit, just dealing with the post fitting interactions.

They still have that 50% deal going on? If you purchase, do you have to schedule your fitting right awy or can you delay it for a couple months?

They still have that 50% deal going on? If you purchase, do you have to schedule your fitting right awy or can you delay it for a couple months?

I think it's still going on, but you have to do the fitting by February or the end of Feb I believe

Great write ups. I'm definitely looking at going and getting fit. Just have to figure out where and determine when to go.

Today was the second part of my fitting, which focused on woods. Let me just say I hit a LOT today and am gonna feel it tomorrow. It was a lot of fun.

Before we started, I had a few questions for Steve on the putter, wedge and irons we chose from the last fitting. On the putter, I wanted to know what exactly I needed to look for and as some putters' weight changes from the 34 to 35 and he wanted me in a 34.5, whether I should get a 34 and extend it or a 35 and shorten it. Steve told me he'd opt for the heavier, more stable putter, which is generally the 34, and extend it a little, counterbalance, etc. But really, he felt my current Bettinardi was a great fit, he just wanted to shorten it and put a larger grip on it. That was nice to hear. I also wanted to find out more about the wedges; what bounce angles he thought I needed, etc., and he explained that he wanted a little less bounce than I have now, but would shorten the wedges just like the irons and get the lofts consistently gapped with the irons. As for the irons, I actually asked to hit them again at the end of the session and Steve was happy to let me fire away. They still felt very good. I also toyed with the wedges and was hitting them great. Still not sure if there's a need to switch, but maybe if I get the irons I'll consider it.

At any rate, Steve asked what I wanted to start off with and I had no preference, so he thought driver would be a good start. I had my trusty R1 in tow and impact was feeling great, but I wasn't getting the distance I normally see. It was perplexing and I almost questioned the machine, but Steve was impressed with the numbers and agreed I was making great contact; he felt I was losing distance because of my club path to the ball, resulting in very low spin. Apparently, you either want high launch with low spin or mid launch with spin, either of which keeps the ball in the air, but my launch wasn't high enough for the little amount of spin I was getting. Now, I'm a big R1 fan and there are things I immediately took stock of, maybe I wasn't teeing it as high as I usually do, etc., so I was taking this whole discussion with a grain of salt. I simply see better numbers than I saw with the R1, even when I was fitted into it last year. But I anticipated I was going to be a little stubborn with the driver and wanted to see some other numbers and swing some other drivers to figure this whole thing out.

Steve gave me another shaft with the R1 head. Like last time, I was to hit 6 balls and we'd check out the results. The shaft was a Diamana Kai'li, blue board regular flex. It felt very good and of course, the numbers were better. Steve explained he wanted to get me in something heavier with more flex to increase the launch and get the spin up a notch, and the shaft seemed to do just that. We then went to a Diamana Ahina I believe and that turned out to be a little stiff. Then it was a Fujikura 65 grams, which was also good, but Steve really liked the numbers from the Kai'li and that was good with me, so we started trying out different heads. We started out with the Optiforce, and I hit it terrible. Steve told me that the combination of a heavy shaft and lighter head was probably not ideal for me. A diplomatic explanation and I agreed. We then went to the Jetspeed, which was better, but didn't blow me away. Then it was time for the SLDR and yep, that was the winner. Was bombing it with nice little right to left action. We were able to get the launch higher, spin stayed low but respectable and it felt great. Ironically, I just listed the SLDR as one of the biggest disappointments for me in 2013 because I was intrigued by the high launch low spin concept but didn't hit it well with the stock shaft, but apparently the different shaft was the change I needed. As the R1 and SLDR work off the same adapter, it's time to grab the Kai'li and use it with my R1 until I'm able to snag a SLDR head. We then tried the SLDR head in a couple other shafts just to see how things panned out, but nothing lived up to the prior combo. I was hitting a 10.5 and only wonder what would have happened if I went up in loft.

Now it was on the fairway woods and hybrids. Honestly, I think I was an enigma for Steve in this department. I told him my goal here was to figure out the ideal combination of FW's and hybos for my long game, but felt pretty confident with my current set up. He didn't know whether to go 4W, 7W, then a couple hypos, or another long iron, hybo, and a couple hybos, or some other combo. We decided on going with the MP H4 4i, as it's just as easy to hit as a lot of hybrids and would fit in with the iron set, then go with a 3h and keep my FW's. Steve then wanted me to then take that out to the course, figure out where any gaps were and circle back if need be.

I hit my 4h and 4W and hit both pretty well. I actually hit the 4W further than a few of the drivers, so I felt like it would be a tall measure to figure out a hybrid that would do better. We started with the Ping G25. All hybrid heads are 3h. I'm hazy on what shafts I tried, but we settled on the ACCRA RTF m3 Dymatch 2.0. I never heard of it, but it felt good. I'm a little confused because it looks like this is a fairway wood shaft. But anyways, we tried the Jetspeed, SLDR, Adams Idea and 913 D3, but the G25 and SLDR were the best. I loved both of them, but Steve liked the distance and dispersion of the G25 better. I actually liked the SLDR a lot and may have to revisit this. But I will say that no combination ever felt as hot off the face as the XHots. I really liked the dispersion of the SLDR and G25, so maybe I'll get the shaft and put one in play. Again, Steve felt that heavier shafts with more flex worked better for me and it's tough to disagree. The misses weren't as dramatic.

Generally, I learned a lot, had fun, and feel like I was set in the right direction in what to look for in equipment. It was a high end fitting, meaning the fitting was top notch and the equipment/shafts/grips they utilize are generally pricey. For the wedges and irons, the total would be $2,500. But as far as indoor fittings go, it's the best I've seen. I just don't know if the shafts I was fit into have any semblance to the stock or custom OEM shafts, which would really save on costs.

I wish there was a way to hit more varieties of the club rather than just 6i or 3h's. I mean, it'd be tough to shell out $2,500 for an iron set when I've only hit the 6i a handful of times, but never hit any of the other clubs with that particular shaft. And they had other club heads I would have loved to toy with in different shafts like the Mizuno Fli Hi or the Altitude, but wanted to hit those in 3 or 4 instead of the 6 irons they had.

For the most part though, I had a lot of questions about what type of shafts and profiles would work best for me. Those questions were answered. I really liked Steve and he was a tremendous source of information. He also gave me some really good swing advice that believe it or not, worked to a tee. It was very conceptual and philosophical, right up my alley.

For anyone thinking about getting fit at one of the Club Champions, I would definitely recommend it. If anyone has questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

I actually have a fitting next week with Steve. Any words of advice?

I actually have a fitting next week with Steve. Any words of advice?

If you're doing the full bag fitting, I highly recommend breaking it into two separate appointments. It's that extensive and you hit so many balls that I was really glad I did that. I thought Steve was a great fitter and he's full of stories, which I enjoyed. He'll ask you and I'd let him know up front what you're most interested in getting fit for. I was a little perplexed when he told me the only way to get fit into a golf ball is by trying a bunch of them out on the course, especially when the full bag fitting specifically states that they will fit you into a ball, so if you want to get fit into a ball I would ask a bunch of questions on that. Finally, I had to ask a couple times for a print out of the LM numbers, and I wanted an invoice with everything we decided on for reference, so be sure to ask for that because I'm not sure you'll get it otherwise.

Steve made it fun and I learned a lot. Just ask as many questions as you want, and if there's something you want to hit, just ask.

Would love to hear about your experience afterwards.

If you're doing the full bag fitting, I highly recommend breaking it into two separate appointments. It's that extensive and you hit so many balls that I was really glad I did that. I thought Steve was a great fitter and he's full of stories, which I enjoyed. He'll ask you and I'd let him know up front what you're most interested in getting fit for. I was a little perplexed when he told me the only way to get fit into a golf ball is by trying a bunch of them out on the course, especially when the full bag fitting specifically states that they will fit you into a ball, so if you want to get fit into a ball I would ask a bunch of questions on that. Finally, I had to ask a couple times for a print out of the LM numbers, and I wanted an invoice with everything we decided on for reference, so be sure to ask for that because I'm not sure you'll get it otherwise.

Steve made it fun and I learned a lot. Just ask as many questions as you want, and if there's something you want to hit, just ask.

Would love to hear about your experience afterwards.

I wish I had more time to split it into 2 days but wanted to make sure I took advantage of the 50% off deal. I'm looking forward to it as I've played golf for 17 years and was a club pro for 6 and never have gotten fully fitted. I'll definitely be sure to post about the experience.

I wish I had more time to split it into 2 days but wanted to make sure I took advantage of the 50% off deal. I'm looking forward to it as I've played golf for 17 years and was a club pro for 6 and never have gotten fully fitted. I'll definitely be sure to post about the experience.

I'm sure they'll be able to honor the 50% deal even if your fitting goes beyond the deadline, but considering your skill level, it should be much easier to fit you in one visit. My swing is terrible, so Steve had his hands full trying to figure out what technology, if any, exists to help my game. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the Club Champion review, very informative! As a Philly guy I plan to get fitted at the Philadelphia Club Champion studio for a set of irons for my 60th birthday. I was interested in Mizuno's too. I was wondering how much does a fitting add (ballpark figure) to the cost of a set of irons?

Thanks for the Club Champion review, very informative! As a Philly guy I plan to get fitted at the Philadelphia Club Champion studio for a set of irons for my 60th birthday. I was interested in Mizuno's too. I was wondering how much does a fitting add (ballpark figure) to the cost of a set of irons?

If you do an irons only fitting, I believe it costs a little over if not $100. If you want to buy the
Irons from them, which includes them building them to the specs they came up with at the fitting, you are probably looking at a couple grand. But you could always pay for the fitting and see if there's a cheaper way to buy the irons and shafts they recommend.

Wow! I was thinking a couple of hundred more for the fitting but that's more than I'm willing to pay. I may look into Golftec. Thanks for the info Philly. I hope your fitting is more benificial to your game than you ever hoped for.

Back