where do i go to get my lies checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
i just want to make sure that my mizunos are 1 degree flat and not 2. where should i go? the local golfstore who does club repair and fitting or an individual fitter

even the big box stores offer that here, all they need is a lie machine so if a store does repairs that extend beyond regripping they should be able to take care of you

you could also get some contact tape and hit a ball of a plastic lie reader, if they are truly 1 degree flat the mark should be right down the middle of the club

I agree almost every single store does this nowadays. In fact the Dick's near me, actually does a good job at this kind of stuff.

ok thanks. im going to try to make it to the store sometime this week

also remember to check your lies once or twice a season AK, miz's are soft... they can bend out of shape

thanks for the info

Unless you play on level lies all the time and are really strict in your setup routine I wouldn't waste my money. I would recommend that all golfers should fully understand the concept of plane in the golf swing and work at achieving an on plane swing on level and unlevel lies.

nobody plays level lies all the time, but my setup is exactly 13 seconds when my game is on. i worked on it with my teacher for a few hours straight over the summer. sounds like a bunch of bogus and a waste of time, but my handicap went down to a 3 after that and i was hitting the ball more consistently. if you aren't prepared to hit a good shot, then how do you expect to do so. i am going to get my lies checked because my swing is consistent enough. if your clubs aren't fit to your specs, whats the point in having them?

Unless you play on level lies all the time and are really strict in your setup routine I wouldn't waste my money. I would recommend that all golfers should fully understand the concept of plane in the golf swing and work at achieving an on plane swing on level and unlevel lies.

I disagree completely. Regardless of what kind of lie you play, your clubs should be fit for you. No two swings are the same that is why everyone should be fitted. When speaking with John Hoeflich, one of the best club makers ever, he could not stress enough about being fitted. He said "it does not matter if you have $1000 clubs or $200 clubs, if they are not fit for your swing, they are all the same." I trust his judgement very well in this department.

Clubs move over time on your set and should be checked once or twice a year to make sure that they are still setup for your swing.

nobody plays level lies all the time, but my setup is exactly 13 seconds when my game is on. i worked on it with my teacher for a few hours straight over the summer. sounds like a bunch of bogus and a waste of time, but my handicap went down to a 3 after that and i was hitting the ball more consistently. if you aren't prepared to hit a good shot, then how do you expect to do so. i am going to get my lies checked because my swing is consistent enough. if your clubs aren't fit to your specs, whats the point in having them?
AK
When you look down at address where is your left hand in relation to your left foot for each club? Is your spine angle exactly the same each time? Where is the ball in relation to the lowest point of your swing for that particular day? If you don't know that how do you know that your lie angle is the same each time you swing (on a level lie)?

I disagree completely. Regardless of what kind of lie you play, your clubs should be fit for you. No two swings are the same that is why everyone should be fitted. When speaking with John Hoeflich, one of the best club makers ever, he could not stress enough about being fitted. He said "it does not matter if you have $1000 clubs or $200 clubs, if they are not fit for your swing, they are all the same." I trust his judgement very well in this department.

Clubs move over time on your set and should be checked once or twice a year to make sure that they are still setup for your swing.

thank you jb. i knew it was Hoeflich that said that, i just couldnt recall haha

AK
When you look down at address where is your left hand in relation to your left foot for each club? Is your spine angle exactly the same each time? Where is the ball in relation to the lowest point of your swing for that particular day? If you don't know that how do you know that your lie angle is the same each time you swing (on a level lie)?

#1: my left wrist is pretty much in line with the inside of my left foot for my irons.
#2: i use a stack and tilt. spine angle is therefore obsolete.
#3: the ball is on the ground. i hit down on the ball leaving about a 4 inch long divot on short irons, a 3 inch divot on mid irons, and 2.5 inch divot on long irons. i don't know how else to answer this question

AK, and anyone else who is reading this thread...

Your clubs are an investment for yourself and for your game. In order to perform at our highest level we need equipment that fits our specific needs. Getting your lies checked is a relatively simple process but I cannot stress how important it actually is. It requires no complex technology or a launch monitor... only a plastic lie angle board and some sole contact tape.

Now AK, in your case you should be fine. A clubmaker shouldn't charge you to just check your lie angles... also, since your Mizuno's are a soft forged iron they can be bent within 4 degree's for the lifetime of the iron.

The important thing for some people here to understand is that purchasing an iron off the rack is a critical mistake if your specs are not "standard". For one, if you are purchasing a cast iron you must understand that post production lie adjustments are limited and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I worked in a shop for 4 years and I can tell you that some clubs cannot be bent at all. Ping clubs MUST be returned to Ping for adjustments. I have put all of my body weight into a Ping iron, it bent to 2 flat from even and as soon as the bar was let go the iron snapped right back. You could find yourself in a situation where your cast iron cannot be bent and you will have to go through the trade in process. Ultimately you will lose money so it makes sense from a consumer perspective. If you are ordering irons through your local dealer, lie adjustments are FREE.

thanks man, i agree with you. one thing also, i am going to get my lies checked because i am fit to 1 degree flat. not that i necessarily need it cuz i can shape shots with the swing i have, but more because i naturally hit a draw, so 1 degree flat gets me to the smallest draw or straight, which is exactly what i want.

Reactions: JB
.... Ping clubs MUST be returned to Ping for adjustments. ...
One of the guys in the pro shop of my home course said that Callaway irons are a pain also because they have to be returned to Callaway to be adjusted.

Brad,
I always thought that too, but my local fitter bent a set of Callaways today with no issues whatsoever.

Ping clubs MUST be returned to Ping for adjustments. I have put all of my body weight into a Ping iron, it bent to 2 flat from even and as soon as the bar was let go the iron snapped right back.

DDB, your not the first person that I've heard say that, and it conforms with information from PING.

I will try to find the video that talks about how PING adjusts lie angle. Essentially, the way they make their irons, they claim that the metal has "memory". When they adjust lie angle, they don't bend the clubs. Instead, they use a rubber mallet to pound the club head to the right angle because the mallet "shocks" the memory out of the metal. I was skeptical when I first watched the video, but I keep hearing that it is true.

EDIT: I found the video. It's 10 minutes long and I encourage you to watch the whole thing because it's very interesting. But if you are just concerned about the lie adjustment portion, that starts at the 6:45 mark.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=958522293&channel=335994212

One of the guys in the pro shop of my home course said that Callaway irons are a pain also because they have to be returned to Callaway to be adjusted.

Brad, are you sure that's not just the FT irons because of the insert? I know some shops won't adjust the lie angle on the FTs (formerly Fusion) because they are worried that they will break or dislodge the insert in the cavity.

i have a friend whose dad was a head pro for 17 years. he has great relations with ping so their house is full of old memorabilia and ping stuff. he is not a fitter or on the ping staff, and he can bend ping irons. i talked to him about it back when i had i10s

I used to think that way too about the importance of lie angle.....until common sense prevailed and I realised that I had to fit my body to the club and the various lies encountered during a round not the other way around. Unless one is hooking or slicing a particular club and not the others in the set, I wouldn't worry about lie angle. But if somebody wishes to add an additional anxiety issue into their game do so by all means.

I used to think that way too about the importance of lie angle.....until common sense prevailed and I realised that I had to fit my body to the club and the various lies encountered during a round not the other way around. Unless one is hooking or slicing a particular club and not the others in the set, I wouldn't worry about lie angle. But if somebody wishes to add an additional anxiety issue into their game do so by all means.

Wow. I could not disagree with that philosophy more.

Razaar,
Every single club professional I have ever spoken with and every single club manufacturer and every single tour pro feels that it is quite important. So I would think that with the millions they spend on research each year, that it is something they have researched well.

JB
I didn't say it was not important, I am assuming that AK had his clubs fitted to his specs from the start. I was on the verge of getting into the club fitting business (on my retirement) but a close friend who is a golf pro (within 5 mins of my home) started up his own club fitting business. I spent most of my spare time in his shop up until he relocated to Henensvale. So I am familar with all the arguments for and against on this issue. What I am saying is that keeping on plane throughout the swing is more important than lie angle. Funny how many pros prefer a flatter lie for their irons (than their ideal specs); drivers & fairway metals are produced in one lie angle options, fit the swing to the club (something that gifted golfers do well).
The ball will go where the face of the club is pointing at impact, the direction of the ball when it leaves the face is a result of the swing path. Both are linked to swing plane regardless of the lie angle.

Reactions: JB
Actually Razaar, your words were "I used to think that way about lie angle too...Until common sense prevailed."

You go on to say that you think you dont need to get clubs fitted to you rather than fit yourself to the club.
Every single pro and manufacturer would disagree with you. ANd if you know one that thinks the same I would love to here his argument based on that is how he is making a living.

Of course swing plane is important. But everybody's plane is different. please explain to me how everyone could be on the same plane hence not needing to have lie angle fitted for them?

As to your thought that the ball will go where the club faces at impact is not true either. Side spin on the ball plays a huge roll in it as well. I play with someone that has a huge outside in swing. His impact is always pointed left, but due to side spin on the ball, the ball will go right.

josh you're a wizard

Not me AK. I just regurgitate the info the club makers tell me. Some of these people are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back