Wedge Setup and Why?

I recently switched to 47* 54* and 60* i find it gives me more options out of bunkers and i only lose 5 yards between 54 and 52
Which do use most out of the sand?

That will simplify it for sure James. Let us know how it works out.

I've been leaning on my 58 pretty heavily lately but the set wedges have just worked. Can't fix a crap shot, but they've made it easier on me for sure. i20 LW is pretty solid out of the bunker so far. Pretty much the UW/LW show... SW has been relegated to 12 iron duty for the most part.

My PW is 45* so I have a 52 56 and 60. It leaves a 20 yard gap between my GW and PW but it's manageable.

Alright I think I'm rolling forward with

Apex Pro Pw
Apex Pro AW (51)
Md2 tour grind. (52)
Md2 tour grind (58)

Alright I think I'm rolling forward with

Apex Pro Pw
Apex Pro AW (51)
Md2 tour grind. (52)
Md2 tour grind (58)
51 them 52? Seems like a small gap, how'd you come up with that?

51 them 52? Seems like a small gap, how'd you come up with that?

I wanted to simplify my shots around the greens (anything under 100) so that's why I went to the 52/58

I decided to keep the AW in the bag over the 61 degree because I will use the AW for full shots so it will fill the gap between my pw (132ish) and my 52 degree Mack Daddy. The AW is my 117ish club and I can dial it down to 100 with a 3/4 swing.

I wanted to simplify my shots around the greens (anything under 100) so that's why I went to the 52/58

I decided to keep the AW in the bag over the 61 degree because I will use the AW for full shots so it will fill the gap between my pw (132ish) and my 52 degree Mack Daddy. The AW is my 117ish club and I can dial it down to 100 with a 3/4 swing.
The 52 full swing doesn't go a similar distance to the AW I guess was my question?

The 52 full swing doesn't go a similar distance to the AW I guess was my question?

It honestly haven't tried it yet. First time on the course was today. 52 was money from 100 and in, just didn't have the opportunity to go at one completely. If I find it does go similar distance than I might find another club to put in the bag over the AW (maybe the 60 bent to 61) but for now I'm going to keep the AW in the bag until I figure out what my full swing distance is with the MD2

It honestly haven't tried it yet. First time on the course was today. 52 was money from 100 and in, just didn't have the opportunity to go at one completely. If I find it does go similar distance than I might find another club to put in the bag over the AW (maybe the 60 bent to 61) but for now I'm going to keep the AW in the bag until I figure out what my full swing distance is with the MD2
Makes sense, just sounded redundant the way I first read it. Good luck

Makes sense, just sounded redundant the way I first read it. Good luck

Trying not to overthink things for now until I figure out the 52 distance. I know that I can use the 58 just about everywhere I'd use the 60 so it makes more sense to keep the AW in the bag at this point

Trying not to overthink things for now until I figure out the 52 distance. I know that I can use the 58 just about everywhere I'd use the 60 so it makes more sense to keep the AW in the bag at this point
I'm similar in keeping it simple. I've got the RBZ AW at 50, then 54/58

Might end up bending the 52 to 53 as well if I decide to keep the AW in the bag.
I've thought about going 53/56/59 again but I'm having success with 54/58. I'm pondering new versions though

I have a question about wedges and I didn't want to start a new thread with it. Anyways I bought a new cobra 55* wedge and I took my vokey 54* wedge just to try out the new wedge. Anyways the 55* is a solid 8 yards shorter than my 54*, how? I'm hitting the 55* just about the same distance as my 58* wedge. I'm just curious how there can be such a big difference in distance in wedges.

I have a question about wedges and I didn't want to start a new thread with it. Anyways I bought a new cobra 55* wedge and I took my vokey 54* wedge just to try out the new wedge. Anyways the 55* is a solid 8 yards shorter than my 54*, how? I'm hitting the 55* just about the same distance as my 58* wedge. I'm just curious how there can be such a big difference in distance in wedges.

Could be a lot of things, leading edge, sole grind, turf interaction, that all intertwine with your particular swing to see certain things. We saw this with the standard MD2's vs the U-grinds for people.

Cleveland S Wedge (60 degrees) - Pitching & sand shots approximately 75 yards and in.
Cleveland C Wedge (44 degrees) - Bump & run approximately 10 yards and in.

My irons are full shots up to 54 degrees.

Currently playing a 53* and 58* set up. It gives me a really good gap between clubs and keeps things simple in my short game. I am absolutely terrible inside 100 yards so the more simplified I can make things, the better.

Could be all of what Jman says, also could be the actual loft of the wedge is not as marked. I would try to hit them both on a monitor and see what kind of numbers each give you. Are both shafted with the same shaft and length?

Could be all of what Jman says, also could be the actual loft of the wedge is not as marked. I would try to hit them both on a monitor and see what kind of numbers each give you. Are both shafted with the same shaft and length?

I honestly didn't know how much the shaft would effect the wedge distance but the vokey has a steelfiber 110 in it and the cobra is the Ltd etd "go time" wedge with a s400 in it.

I honestly didn't know how much the shaft would effect the wedge distance but the vokey has a steelfiber 110 in it and the cobra is the Ltd etd "go time" wedge with a s400 in it.

General ball flight can affect the distance, that said also I high doubt the lofts are off. Some wedge fit some people well, some don't.

That could be a difference there. only 1 degree weaker in loft, but heavier shaft that probably doesn't load the same will add more to the equation.

Back