How much divot is too much?

tbanks5

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie I've been spending a lot of time lately on grass ranges when I used to only use mats. What helps me in practice is the swing thought that I need to compress the ball at impact or trap the ball to see the best results. Not that I'm doing that exactly but I try my best.

Anyway I don't feel like I lose any distance when I pull a strip of turf on my iron shots. I'm hitting my 8i 155 yds and I believe I'm of average length in my iron game compared to many that I play with.

I guess my question is is it bad to have a big divot on all my iron shots especially my scoring clubs? Again not that it matters much but I do hate the fact that the spot I'm hitting at on the range looks like a small garden after I'm through with it.

Do you have any tips to help me take smaller divots or should I keep digging away if it works?

Thanks for any feedback.

Taking a divot isn't a bad thing as long as you start taking it at the ball or just in front of it.

Any size divot after the ball is ok. Look at Lexi Thompson, she digs some pretty big chunks.

The good news is that your keeping your hands low through impact and beyond. The bad news is that you're too steep. You have somehow equated compression with steep angles of attack.

I'm not a fan of deep long divots for the average golfer. I like divots, I just like them shallow.

Have you tried a shallower angle of attack? What were the results?

The good news is that your keeping your hands low through impact and beyond. The bad news is that you're too steep. You have somehow equated compression with steep angles of attack.

I'm not a fan of deep long divots for the average golfer. I like divots, I just like them shallow.

Have you tried a shallower angle of attack? What were the results?
I can take a more shallow angle and divot but it's not consistent. At least it doesn't seem that way to me. When I do the results are great. It doesn't feel dramatically different and if anything my trajectory is a tad lower. But I'm not losing distance or anything.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I dig up some very significant divots but am consistent with my contact and distances. I'm curious about what the negative effects are of being incredibly steep?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I dig up some very significant divots but am consistent with my contact and distances. I'm curious about what the negative effects are of being incredibly steep?

The margin for error is smaller with a steep angle of attack.

The margin for error is smaller with a steep angle of attack.

Yep. I take a decent divot, and my miss is fat as I tend to get a bit steep. But I don't have this issue too often, and for me, I hit the ball better like this than with a shallower swing. Probably though, if I physically could practice more, I'd work on shallowing out a bit.

Back