Hooking the Ball w/ Long Irons

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Hey Freddie, can you please give me feedback on my swing.

I'm hitting a 5-iron here.

I used to slice, but have more or less eliminated that, but do hook the ball now... The hook is my most common mistake. Sometimes I can push it right, but far less often than the hook.

The hook is almost exclusive to my 4-6 irons. Far less common with my driver.

The video's were shot by my 6 and 8 yr old daughters, so the quality (my head is cut off in one) isn't the best.

This last one was the 1st one I shot in the am. When I saw my posture on the videos when I got home, I went back to try and hit some balls with me bending forward more (the 2 videos at the top).

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

I'm not Freddie, but I've been struggling with the same issue. My instructor said my ball placement was the issue. He had me play the ball more forward in my stance and what do you know, nice high ball flight and the ability to work the ball. Best of all, no more hooking.

From your first video, it looks like adjusting your ball position should cure your hook too.

Be glad you don't have my other problem, regripping during the swing :banghead:

Good luck. Let me know if it works.

Thanks SD, I'll try it out.

Also, for anyone watching, when I joined the site, I was experimenting with another swing, that was really ugly (hence the name 'UglySwing'). I think my swing now looks fairly normal, and the screen name doesn't really fit so much.

Imo..your hands are coming to much on the inside on your take away. Try to take the club back mor in a line for the few first feet

From a swing stand point you have a pretty good move into the ball. But like most, your hips are inactive and yiu swing all upper body allowing the hips to engage late. This move isn't really over the top as much as it is just your hips moving the path of the club left. I feel if your hips were to start the down swing your arms would travel down the line or just right of the line.

There are a few other things I'd adjust but I think we should start with this.

Freddie, any advice on how work on having the hips start the surrendering
I was actually working on that over the weekend, but kept hitting the ball really FAT.

I was taking my backswing, waiting for the club to lag at the top before initiating the downswing...and then turning the hips
But I was slamming the club into the ground

Maybe it's just something I have to practice over and over

Freddie,
Thanks for taking the time to do this for me (and everyone else).

I went back to the range at lunch, and again, as soon as I start trying to initiate the downswing with my hips, I end up slamming the club face into the mat.

I wonder if that is happening bc I have one extra thing to think about, and I'm rushing everything.

I'll work on it though.

Imo..your hands are coming to much on the inside on your take away. Try to take the club back mor in a line for the few first feet
I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks!

I did this today.
I was definitely hitting the ball a lot harder, and more consistently (at least with my driver and hybrid...oddly I only used my 4,5 and 6 irons for 1 shot in total today.

The hip turn I have to work on, on the range, as that's going to take some work.

I tried moving the ball forward, but it didn't feel right.

I did this today.
I was definitely hitting the ball a lot harder, and more consistently (at least with my driver and hybrid...oddly I only used my 4,5 and 6 irons for 1 shot in total today.

The hip turn I have to work on, on the range, as that's going to take some work.

I tried moving the ball forward, but it didn't feel right.

That sounds good. i struggle with hip turn sometimes as well, its a battle i continue to fight and try to ensure i start my downswing with the lower body.

I don't mean to walk on this thread but in the middle frame at night you have nice tempo and balance. The daylight bottom frame notice your upper body falling backwards during your follow through. Just another hackers POV. Good luck on that swing it doesn't really look too bad at all.

Put you feet together and take a back swing. Step the left forward toward the target to initiate the down swing. Be sure to keep the spine angle you started with a address. This is meant to be done at half speed.
Freddie,
Thanks for taking the time to do this for me (and everyone else).

I went back to the range at lunch, and again, as soon as I start trying to initiate the downswing with my hips, I end up slamming the club face into the mat.

I wonder if that is happening bc I have one extra thing to think about, and I'm rushing everything.

I'll work on it though.

Freddie, any advice on how work on having the hips start the surrendering
I was actually working on that over the weekend, but kept hitting the ball really FAT.

I was taking my backswing, waiting for the club to lag at the top before initiating the downswing...and then turning the hips
But I was slamming the club into the ground

Maybe it's just something I have to practice over and over

I practiced the drill and incorporated it in the range this am.

I was slicing the ball when I did it.

It might be because I'm rushing it, or even exaggerating the bump.

What is the difference between this move and sliding towards the target (which I thought was bad)?

I practiced the drill and incorporated it in the range this am.

I was slicing the ball when I did it.

It might be because I'm rushing it, or even exaggerating the bump.

What is the difference between this move and sliding towards the target (which I thought was bad)?
With your feet togther, your swing will be compact. The shoulder turn is limited and the arm swing is limited. It like swinging a 3' tube.

If your swing is synchronized properly then your hips will turn out of the way. With you feet together there is no slide. And if the left hip is pulling, the right foot step through is a natural response.

Back