Swing weight question?

DMoney79

War Damn Eagle!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about cutting down my G25 driver to about 44.5'' and was wondering what effect that would have on swing weight? I love my driver but know a shorter driver can help increase accuracy. I can get wild from time to time. I do not know a lot about how swing weight affects clubs, but was looking for some input on this. If someone could shed some light on this I would be grateful.

I believe every inch you cut off decreases about 3 swing weights...

Each half inch is 3 swingweight points, each point is equal to 2 grams of head weight, so essentially the head will feel six grams lighter. Most driver heads are in the 190-200 gram range, so you are looking at about 3% lighter feeling head. Most Ping G series drivers are stock D0-D1 so you will end up with C4-C5 swingweight.

I believe every inch you cut off decreases about 3 swing weights...

Agree. Most will never notice the difference and only you will know if it matters. Cut away!

The G25 head is heavier than most at 205g and usually plays stock at D3 swing weight. If you cut it down to 44.5 and go with a lighter grip you should be able to keep the swing weight close to what you "feel" today. If it's too light you can increase the shaft weight by adding an Opti-Vide down the shaft.

Here is the chart I have written down from something someone posted years ago...

1/2" = 3 swing weight points
2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point
5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point
9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point
4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

I think you will like 44.5". But unlike others, I think you will have to adjust your swing weight some.
G25 is 45.75 stock, so going to 44.5 will decrease the swing weight by about 7.5 pts, so you will feel that.
To test it you can add lead tape. If you like it You can send it back to ping and let them adjust the swing weight for you.
TWIW, I cut down my driver to 44.5 from 45.25, and it has helped me hit it more solid. I have not sent it back to ping because I have a higher percentage of weight toward the toe to straighten out my draw.

I think you will like 44.5". But unlike others, I think you will have to adjust your swing weight some.
G25 is 45.75 stock, so going to 44.5 will decrease the swing weight by about 7.5 pts, so you will feel that.
To test it you can add lead tape. If you like it You can send it back to ping and let them adjust the swing weight for you.
TWIW, I cut down my driver to 44.5 from 45.25, and it has helped me hit it more solid. I have not sent it back to ping because I have a higher percentage of weight toward the toe to straighten out my draw.

I agree with you about sending it back to PING. PING is really great about adjusting stuff for you and they charge nothing most of the time.

To the OP I would give PING's customer service a call (1-800-474-6434) and see if they can help you before you alter the club yourself (they don't like that much)

Thanks guys alot for the info. I had no idea and I'm glad I asked. The G25 is plenty long and I'm not worried about losing distance, but I would like to hit the center of the clubface a little more.

Thanks guys alot for the info. I had no idea and I'm glad I asked. The G25 is plenty long and I'm not worried about losing distance, but I would like to hit the center of the clubface a little more.

The great thing is that you won't lose any distance if you're puring it every time. I've done this in the past and liked the results.

The great thing is that you won't lose any distance if you're puring it every time. I've done this in the past and liked the results.
I agree. I haven't really tracked it, but I'm pretty sure my driver average is up since cutting mine down from making better contact.
Even better is that my misses aren't as bad.

I agree. I haven't really tracked it, but I'm pretty sure my driver average is up since cutting mine down from making better contact.
Even better is that my misses aren't as bad.

I also kept thee swing weight the same by weighting the tip. I tried it without and lost every bit of feel I had with the club.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Back