Straigten left leg to let the right shoulder through

arwin

Reaction score
Hi Freddie,

On my downswing, am I supposed to straighten my left leg (stand up) a bit to let my right shoulder through to impact?

I'm trying to work on my swing sequence and this is what I have in my mind:

Once I get to the top of my swing, I need to rotate my hips which will naturally let the club fall to a point where it's parallel to the ground. Once my hips are opened and the club is parallel, I feel like I need to straighten my left leg and get the weight on it to allow my right shoulder to come through to impact. Otherwise, I feel like I'm going to stick the club into the ground.

What do you think? Are my swing sequence thoughts incorrect?

The left leg straightens naturally at impact through follow through. If this is a conscious effort on your part, I feel it may be another issue. You should not be thinking about this sequence or try to force it. As the right hip fires and the left hip moves away fro mthe ball, the left leg straightens and provides you with a stiff side to hit into. This is all done in an instant, if it is not happening then we might want to look at your weight distribution.

freddie focusing on the hip movement rather than the leg straightening seems to be a great way to save your joints. if you're consciously snapping that lead leg to straighten the knee, i could see some joint issues and pain coming in.

I naturally straighten my leg so I just wanted to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

Thanks for clarifying!

Back