University of Texas Golf Academy

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I may be the only one interested in this, but anyway . . .

This is a video tour of the new University of Texas Golf Academy, where the Texas men's and women's golf teams train and practice. It just amazes me at the facilities available to them.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=tex&media=102079

Note: the video player doesn't seem to be Firefox friendly. I had to view it using Internet Explorer.

Pretty neat. Looks like a great place to play. The tour guide was nice too.

Pretty neat. Looks like a great place to play. The tour guide was nice too.

Meridith McMahan. Yeah, she's a cutie.
http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-golf/mtt/mcmahan_meredith00.html

mcmahan_m_022707_300.jpg
mcmahan_meredith_021907_300.jpg

Yes very much.

I wonder if there are any other schools that have that kind of facility?

University of FL I am pretty sure. I hate the darn Gators but they freaking dominate in just about every sport.

I wonder if there are any other schools that have that kind of facility?

I can't remember if I've posted these before, but here are a few photos of the facility:

Image4.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image5.jpg

I can't remember if I've posted these before, but here are a few photos of the facility:

Don't think I've seen those pictures outside of what they showed in that video. They sank some serious cash into that place. Really looks like a great place to be.

Only in Texas. How does it compare to Stanfords? I always here about it, but I have never seen it.

Only in Texas. How does it compare to Stanfords? I always here about it, but I have never seen it.

It makes up for decades of the school not having any home course or facilities at all.

I'm not sure about Stanford, but I would assume it's similar. Probably not as new though. The Texas course and facilities are brand new.

Edit: Here is a GolfWeek article on Stanford's golf facility:
http://www.golfweek.com/college/story/mensnotes-050208

Apparently, the course and practice areas are amazing, but there are no indoor facilities like Texas has (golf teams' own weight room, academics area, lockers, fancy clubhouse, etc.)

Who/What paid for this and got naming rights? Geez--it's nicer than our country club.

Love it. Thanks for the link, HL.

Who/What paid for this and got naming rights? Geez--it's nicer than our country club.

It is a private club. It's the University of Texas Golf Club at Steiner Ranch.

It just has additional private facilities for the golf teams, which are necessary because the course is 15 miles from the main campus. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the developer paid for everything as part of the deal for being able to name the course and use the U.T. logos, etc.

I finally looked at the video (really can't watch them at work). That computer room looked pretty unused. Ever play there, HL or WSE? Or Julie?

I think Roger Clemens is a member there. According to the sight they only allowed 475 members.

I think Roger Clemens is a member there. According to the sight they only allowed 475 members.

The high-end clubs around here are about 500 members per course. And if you factor in the teams using the facility, 475 would be about right.

The high-end clubs around here are about 500 members per course. And if you factor in the teams using the facility, 475 would be about right.
That must be nice, i am assuming it does not get too busy.

Ever play there, HL or WSE? Or Julie?

No. I was invited the next time I "get back down to Austin," but I haven't been to Austin since the invitation.

That must be nice, i am assuming it does not get too busy.

Yeah, the whole idea is no tee times. You show up, warm up, and go out to play. And you pay through the nose.

That poor clubhouse had to be built twice

It was A&M golfers. They were upset that the UT clubhouse was nicer than theirs. :laugh:

A few stills of the January 2008 fire:

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

The most disappointing aspect of the fire was that the women's NCAA regionals were held at the club in May 2008 and Texas wasn't able to show off its facilities.

Now that everything is done, I'm sure the course is in the running for a national championship site in the near future. If you haven't attended an NCAA event, do yourself a favor and go to an NCAA regional or championship if one is hosted near you. Watching these kids compete as a team is a real treat.

Last edited:
Back