what is it about an iron...

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
I am kind of piggy backing on skibum's question about an iron fitting. as i play adams cb3, and read about them, i had read of the cmb iron and was intrigued. I bought a single 6 iron, adams cmb, c taper shaft, stiff. Having played it for 5 rounds now, hitting it any time it was even close to its range, I noticed a pattern. it is, without question, the most accurate iron i have ever hit! yes, a miss hit is just that. it is short when hit toward the toe and will sting a bit when hit thin. but when hit correctly or close it has the same feel, flight, distance every time...it is great! As i am uneducated about such things....is it the shaft, the clubs set-up, the head, that makes this iron so accurate. comparing the cb3 to the cmb:cb3 is longer by 3/4", has a d3 swing weight vs d2, kbs tour 120 vs c taper. a mizuno shaft fittings and the srixon fitting put me into tour 120s but the c tapers deliver, at least in this one club.

It's the whole kit and kaboodle. Club head build and weighting placement will always play a larger role than that of other elements, as well as swing of course.

I am kind of piggy backing on skibum's question about an iron fitting. as i play adams cb3, and read about them, i had read of the cmb iron and was intrigued. I bought a single 6 iron, adams cmb, c taper shaft, stiff. Having played it for 5 rounds now, hitting it any time it was even close to its range, I noticed a pattern. it is, without question, the most accurate iron i have ever hit!
I found the same thing Art!

I had my bag stolen a few years ago and was looking for a replacement for my 710 CB/MB set. I tried every players club they had in the PGASS and then happened on the CMBs (they had just come out). Had never hit an Adams iron before, but really like the look, heft, PLUS the standard C-Taper shaft (they were +$35 extra with Titleist). When I hit the CMB on the simulator I put 4 shots in a row at 184-186 yds within 2 yards of center!! The sales guy looked at me and said he'd never seen that before, then "I'm not trying to pressure you or anything but if it was me I'd definitely buy those irons". Needless to say I didn't need much convincing as you can see from my sig ...

Since then I've tried a bunch of irons. I'll get excited about a new iron, but when they go head to head with the CMB the best they seem to do is equal performance, most not. They are just really good with my swing

Back