Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

i think he didn't spend much time on that since it wasn't the main reason i was there. since i liked the stock speeder so much, i might just go into a big box and do exactly what you recommend. the ad bb felt really good and was very consistent, but not good enough to justify the $ upcharge when the stock was performing so well.

Since he already has draw spin, do you think it would be better to go to 13.5* head? Maybe go down in loft from there instead of up. When you start increasing loft part of the side affect is also closing the face.

Im not a big believer in closing a face by tiny amounts impacts that much more side spin, similar to that open and fade spin. That will come from where the club face is at impact and the body adjusts very quickly. However I dont disagree that 13.5 and lofting down would be a solid choice.

i think he didn't spend much time on that since it wasn't the main reason i was there. since i liked the stock speeder so much, i might just go into a big box and do exactly what you recommend. the ad bb felt really good and was very consistent, but not good enough to justify the $ upcharge when the stock was performing so well.

If they have a tour green or tour blue shaft might want to give those a whirl. The tour green has been a solid shaft for me in several heads and we have similar SS and launch.

Since he already has draw spin, do you think it would be better to go to 13.5* head? Maybe go down in loft from there instead of up. When you start increasing loft part of the side affect is also closing the face.

tough call for me and my mental issues. I hate seeing a closed clubface, but my miss is a block fade. so an open clubface would exacerbate my miss but be pleasing to the eye. conundrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cally 2015 GBB is here. Fujikura 665 Evo II TS x flex. SW D3.8 , 45 5/8
Initial shaft reading is 257cpm not quite true x flex. I suspect a watered down version of the real deal...perhaps close to a 661 TS stiff flex
Call it Stiff +3. One spine One Neutral, seems to have little bit of torque twisting head a grip apart, over my Rogue 70x
Will see how it preforms, If I can get good dispersion it should be long and forgiving, being a slightly softer profile. I always like to Err on the softer shaft flex, I can get away with with a driver, but its no real comparison to my 816dbd Rogue i/o 70x shaft, 268cpm.

Last edited:
Cally 2015 GBB is here. Fujikura 665 Evo II TS x flex. SW D3.8 , 45 5/8
Initial shaft reading is 257cpm not quite true x flex. I suspect a watered down version of the real deal...perhaps close to a 661 TS stiff flex
Call it Stiff +3. One spine One Neutral, seems to have little bit of torque twisting head a grip apart, over my Rogue 70x
Will see how it preforms, If I can get good dispersion it should be long and forgiving, being a slightly softer profile. I always like to Err on the softer shaft flex, I can get away with with a driver, but its no real comparison to my 816dbd Rogue i/o 70x shaft, 268cpm.
Sounds fancy....hope it works

Testing this GBB driver on the course ..its long!, the shaft is lighter (66g) than what I am used to.
The shaft feels like boron graphite, its a tad soft in flex for me, but very manageable and am transferring a lot of power to the ball, and I am getting a draw, and turning most shots over, so I am playing ball more fwd & open the face up a tad, to get a straight medium traj shot+. I have it set to full fade setting, 10.5 NS with lead tape on the toe. I am getting some high speed bullets to right FW.
I will keep hitting it and need to see more constancy in solid strikes and miss hits evaluated...Just getting used to the new set up - position to hit off

Last edited:
I just done the Callaway driver shaft fit on their website and it recommended the Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 665 shaft. Has/is any playing this shaft? Any thoughts?
Are the shafts available the Full Monty or are they a watered down version of the real deal for the club supplier?

great-big-bertha-driver-shaft-fitting-tool.jpg

It depends on the shaft, but even the ones I tested that were standard offerings, were pretty darn close. I couldnt tell a difference, if there was one, between the Fuji at Callaway and the one I tested at Fuji.

Cally fitting chart looks good! I think its very close for most peeps. I think the Fuji line are close to the real deal/but not!...a tad softer tip/butt and bit more torque.
665 is long!, get the correct flex FIRST, GBB/665 I think is the longest for 2015 I have hit yet...

With Cally Fuji offerings I would opt to the stiffer flex. I think the 665 X flex is a perfect S+, or Tour Stiff profile, and solid players who play stiff flex should move up to this 66g x flex
For me I think the Fuji 765x would be the ticket over the Rogue 70x. I prefer Fuji over a Aldila. They hit longer with HIT tech etc. Fuji's have a reputation for stronger swingers/players that 'go at it', over powering the flex and the shaft still preforms well with out leaking shots right too much.

I can play the 665xTS in the GBB @ 103mph solid loader/hitter. I am delivering a 'decent hard swing' at it and its holding dispersion...just a tad low traj with the shaft lagging a touch, so I am playing it more forward and open, giving a decent flat line flight, to a acceptable peak height, then rolling out to near 300y.
Initially finding a way to hit this lighter shaft, I will try to optimize it / pull the 665 and spine it to be more in line with my swing. Currently I am playing it S1 12 O Clock (not the firmest side), and its kicking/draw a touch too much. I will orientate the shaft so its not drawing the ball so much and see how that goes. Another option; tip it a 1/4-1/2 add some more head weight. The 665x stock D3.8 SW was too light feel, so the 3/4' lead tape strip on the toe gave me my heavier feel. I still prefer a 70g shaft and may opt for a REAL 661 Evo II TS X at $186 rakuten, or swap my Rogue 70x in GBB

Last edited:
Just a thought. Sometimes less is more , hope all that fine tuning makes a positive difference.

Looking at the shaft guide, when I was buying the X2Hot driver, I wasn't fitted for the driver, but I tried both the ALDILA Tour Blue and Green shafts in Regular and Stiff flexes. My average swing speed is in the low to mid 90's and the Blue stiff shaft suited me better. The yardage gain between the two flexes was minimal but the dispersion was noticeably better with the stiff flex.

I was fitted for the original XHot driver and I also ended up with a stiff shaft. If I recall correctly the fitter was more interested in the frequency of the shaft then the labeling, as he demonstrated a number of different shafts which some were marked stiff, however were weaker then some of the shafts marked regular.

If I do pull the trigger on the GBB I will definitely be getting fitted for it.

Cally fitting chart looks good! I think its very close for most peeps. I think the Fuji line are close to the real deal/but not!...they are just a tad softer tip/butt and bit more torque. This helps fit a wider range of players who miss hit more. Low Low torque on miss hits is quite un-forgiving. The 665 can hit very long, it just depends on the correct flex FIRST, then sleeve/weight adjustments to keep it in play. GBB/665 I think is the longest for 2015 I have hit yet...

When I was fitted for my XHot driver I ended up with a Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Speedcoat 60g Stiff shaft with a stiffened the tip section. So if the Fuji has a softer tip, would I be better of with a different shaft? Any recommendations, just to narrow it down to a few shafts?

When I was fitted for my XHot driver I ended up with a Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Speedcoat 60g Stiff shaft with a stiffened the tip section. So if the Fuji has a softer tip, would I be better of with a different shaft? Any recommendations, just to narrow it down to a few shafts?

Try the Rogue & Tour Green, they might be a firmer profile overall in stiff flex

Thanks PROZONEGOLF.

I actually have a few different shafts to fit my XR driver head.

1. Adila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60g 3.4 Stiff Flex (Fitting to my X2Hot Driver)
2. Oban Devotion 6 04 65g Stiff Flex
3. Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Speedcoat 60g Stiff flex (Fitted for XHot Driver, but now fitted with a dual cog adapter)
4. Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+ 72 x5ct Stiff Flex
5. Project X LZ 60 Stiff Shaft (Stock Currently fitted to my XR Driver)

I might trade in the Diamana, as when I used with a Trackman the pro mentioned that it was just a bit stiff/heavy for me, and I wasn't getting the full performance out of the shaft.

I really need to book a session with my pro and the trackman to find out which shaft suits me the best!!!

Went out today with my 816/Rogue70x & GBB/665x swapping shafts. (both 10.5 N+1)
GBB seems a tad draw bias, and I had the rear weight near the end of the channel + 3/4' strip lead tape on the toe to hit straight
816 preformed better more forgiving with the softer flex Fuji 665x.
GBB preformed 'very well' with stiffer Rogue 70x.
816/70x may be slightly less spin, bit more penetrating flight and have a bit tighter dispersion, but center hits are key
The distance between 816/GBB was very similar, however it was light rain, so I can tell yet. Balls were new Srixon Z Star XV's
GBB bigger sweet spot / added forgiveness made my Rogue 70x feel smoother, less harsh & easier to hit. I felt more confident to go at it, rather than precision ball strike / swing in good shape with 816. 816=Forgiving Blade / GBB=Players CB. The 816's not bad, but GBB is easier to be more consistant
GBB can handle a stiffer shaft, so don't Err to a softer one if you draw the ball with this head
I hit some 'repeatable bombs' with GBB/70x that flew very tight to land only a few yards from each other. I was hitting center FW's, (with 816/Rogue 70x its a push).

I prefer the 816 head to look at at address, however I think the GBB/Rogue 70x was sweet today...need more time and LM

Last edited:
Thanks PROZONEGOLF.

I actually have a few different shafts to fit my XR driver head.

1. Adila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60g 3.4 Stiff Flex (Fitting to my X2Hot Driver)
2. Oban Devotion 6 04 65g Stiff Flex
3. Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Speedcoat 60g Stiff flex (Fitted for XHot Driver, but now fitted with a dual cog adapter)
4. Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+ 72 x5ct Stiff Flex
5. Project X LZ 60 Stiff Shaft (Stock Currently fitted to my XR Driver)

I might trade in the Diamana, as when I used with a Trackman the pro mentioned that it was just a bit stiff/heavy for me, and I wasn't getting the full performance out of the shaft.

I really need to book a session with my pro and the trackman to find out which shaft suits me the best!!!

NICE!...perhaps take all the shafts to the GBB fitting and let us know the winner (snap some LM pics for the readers)

I'll be honest I didn't read the entire thread. I just took a chance on this club for the Fuji evolution II. I want to try a lighter shaft compared to my rogue silver in my 815 DD.

Is the head worth a chance? I know it's much different than the 815 DD, but has anyone owned both and have an opinion to share?

There's quite a bit of opinions on both in he thread. It's a very good driver head.

Back