Broken windshield at the course

mysticfalcon

Reaction score
Handicap
I got in from my 18 holes today and had a cracked windshield from a golf ball. I went in and mentioned it at the clubhouse and they called a few members to see if anyone had seen anything. Turns out a member saw a group of non members picking up a ball in the parking lot and asked them if they hit anything and they said no they didn't.
Turns out there was only 1 foursome of non members on the course today so the pro called them and they denied having a ball go into the parking lot. Not a lot to be done after that. Seems like I'm on my own for the windshield.
The parking lot is off of 18 but you really need a horrible shot to get to where I was parked. I was in the furthest row back.

3d9454edab10c787997186cdbd2c365b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that sucks! at least its the windshield....easier to have insurance cover the cost than a side or rear window. Even worse if it hit the metal and left a dent IMO

Man that sucks, crappy luck. Some people are turds, we have free glass in MA so it's covered but still a pain.

That really sucks and was a terrible shot based on the aerial you provided. Wow

That parking lot imo is not really a rare horrible shot away especially for a 22 capper such as yourself. To be honest.... Id have to imagine a lot of approach shots reach it. Its really not all that far left imo. Not for the average player who can be errant at times or even a good player who hits an errant one.
Just my thoughts on that.

Now as far as your problem? That really sucks and it also sucks that no one owned up to it. The good news is that windshield replacement is not (in most cases) overly expensive. None the less its a real expensive round of golf and of course now the stress to get this taken care of. Sorry you have to pay and also deal with this. But what can ya do? it is what it is.

I am really sorry to hear that. That is really crappy design with parking lot right next to it. Right side of bunker is dangerous too. Imagine someone tops it.

I agree that doesn't take that horrible a shot. I could hit one that ended up in that parking lot no problem.

Situation does suck. Unfortunately, that's the hazard of parking at a golf course. They should really put up a net to protect the parking lot.

They really should have put some trees between the lot and green.

For the life of me I don't understand why those two cars are parked in the front right corner of the lot, they are pin high, your average hook could reach them.

Terrible idea to out the parking lot there, I hate that you had it happen.

For the life of me I don't understand why those two cars are parked in the front right corner of the lot, they are pin high, your average hook could reach them.

Terrible idea to out the parking lot there, I hate that you had it happen.

Easy - it's In the Shade!

Sorry this happened. I've seen this a few times at one of our local courses. Like you said, you really have to make a bad shot to get it into the parking lot. Hopefully your insurance won't give you a hard time.

Broken windshield at the course

Same thing happened to my buddy. It's an accepted risk so even if they did hit your car and admitted it, they Are not obligated to pay for repairs. Would It be nice, sure, but in the same way if you park in a campground and a bear eats your side mirrors, it's not the campgrounds responsibility.

Guarantee you if a person was hit in the parking lot and hurt the course would also be named in a lawsuit and I imagine would settle instead of risking it. Would go along the lines of the course knows balls go into the lot but didn't take steps to minimize the risk.

Guarantee you if a person was hit in the parking lot and hurt the course would also be named in a lawsuit and I imagine would settle instead of risking it. Would go along the lines of the course knows balls go into the lot but didn't take steps to minimize the risk.

That's a stretch. You know there are no guard rails at the Grand Canyon. You can just walk right up to the edge! If you fall, would the state of Colorado be sued because they didn't prevent you from walking to the edge? There's just some
Things that are assumed risk.

Baseball games - bats hit people all the time, not team is ever sued.

that bites, at least windshields are a minor expense, not that anyone needs something else to pay for.

Most insurance will replace a broken windshield without even a deductible. Happened to me at a driving range. Guy hit a ball into the divider between stalls, it came out backward over the net and broke my windshield. I called the insurance company and it was replaced in the parking lot before I finished my round of golf.

As I understand it, the green fees I pay includes insurance for that kind of property damage. Maybe you can check with the club if that is covered.

Most insurance will replace a broken windshield without even a deductible. Happened to me at a driving range. Guy hit a ball into the divider between stalls, it came out backward over the net and broke my windshield. I called the insurance company and it was replaced in the parking lot before I finished my round of golf.

so guy who broke your windshield is not responsible for that? After reading this thread, if someone hit my windshield or dent my car, I have to fix my own?

so guy who broke your windshield is not responsible for that? After reading this thread, if someone hit my windshield or dent my car, I have to fix my own?

If your car was hit by a baseball at your sons little league game would you expect the parent of the kid who hit the ball to pay for it?

If you went to a baseball game and got hit with a foul ball would you expect the team to pay for your dental work?

It's called assumed risk. On a golf course, you Park at your own risk. It's just how it is.

If your car was hit by a baseball at your sons little league game would you expect the parent of the kid who hit the ball to pay for it?

If you went to a baseball game and got hit with a foul ball would you expect the team to pay for your dental work?

It's called assumed risk. On a golf course, you Park at your own risk. It's just how it is.

Makes sense but still crappy situation. On my home course, there is public road right next to the 1st hole and if running car gets hit, I guess wrong place at the wrong time.

Makes sense but still crappy situation. On my home course, there is public road right next to the 1st hole and if running car gets hit, I guess wrong place at the wrong time.

My understanding is that it's different if it's a public road. At our course, if you get hit in the parking lot, your responsibility unless you and person work it out. There is a public road along the far side of the course. If you hit a car or home, it's the players responsibility. So my understanding is that it has to do with the course property vs. public or private (non course owned) property.

How does someone even hit over there? Sucks about your windsheild and of course nobody will own up to it.

That does suck. Even if the guy wasn't obligated to pay for it, common courtesy says he should. I'd pay a windshield if I broke one. The cost isn't that bad. I had rock on the highway crack mine and it didn't even meet my $250 deductible to replace it.

My understanding is that it's different if it's a public road. At our course, if you get hit in the parking lot, your responsibility unless you and person work it out. There is a public road along the far side of the course. If you hit a car or home, it's the players responsibility. So my understanding is that it has to do with the course property vs. public or private (non course owned) property.

Actually it's not the players responsibility unless they're purposefully hitting towards the house or car etc from the actual court rulings that I've read.

There is no reasonable standard for golfers to be able to hit the ball exactly where they want to every single time so there's no basis for a negligence tort towards the golfer. The cost of damages for hitting a car on a public road would most likely be on the golf course for failing to account for the possibility of balls entering the road and taking steps to prevent that although I haven't looked into that specific example

Back