Question about composition of bag

ghoti

Reaction score
Handicap
Very high
I realize that the only thing you really "need" to play is a driver and a putter and a lot of clubs between, but I was just wondering what most agree is a good setup for someone who only started about a year or so ago and doesn't have a lot of time / resources to play often. I'm learning basics primarily from my g/f and her friends, as well as online resources; I'm planning on lessons but not sure when, how and especially how much.
____

I'm not reliable with the driver at all; I'm slightly better with a FW but that's not saying a whole lot. I'm doing OK with the higher-lofted irons & wedges; I've been told that's normal.

Beyond the FW slot, I've got a choice of hybrids from 21*, 24*, 28*, and 32*. I'm not positive whether to use the 32* or a 6 iron of about 29* loft (I have a set of Adams 6-PW starting at 29* and going up by 4*). Then I have wedges at 49*, 52*, 56*, and 60* (mix / match, but they all seem to work well).

Since I'm just learning, I'm gaming 15 (it was 16 but I realized I never used the 5W in actual play), but I'm getting rid of one more eventually, just not sure which one. I don't have a whole lot of funds, but with the internet I can find some great deals on lefty stuff...the selection often sucks comparatively but conversely there are bargains to be found on occasion as well...
____

So yeah, mostly I'd like to know whether 6h or 6i is better to learn with, and then which club to discard if I ever get good enough to really play. The second will probably work itself out; I'll just figure out which club I don't use much or any, and toss that one out. The first is tougher for me to know. I hit the hybrid better off a mat than I do the iron, but not sure how relevant that is considering what ground conditions can be.

I'm not old and I'm in OK shape (if heavy) but I do have a few challenges relating to my back and lower body (hurt myself a few times) if that's relevant.

Thanks.

If i were you i'd dump the hybrid, as the 6 iron is still a relatively easy club to get to grips with and its much more versatile.

If it helps i play with the following
Driver
1 x FW
1 x Hybrid
4-PW in my irons
50, 55, 60 in wedges

But i quite like long irons, especially as an option off the tee.

What makes the iron much more versatile?

There is no general right or wrong in terms of hybrid vs iron, it is just a personal decision. If I were you I would keep them both in the bag and whenever that distance comes up (and as long as you are not holding anyone up) hit shots with both. At some point you will decide which you are most comfortable with and what gives the best results.

Obedt is on to something. Try both and see what you're more comfortable with. It's entirely personal preference, so which ever club you like better is the better club.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Don't know what is correct for you I play
Driver
5 Wood
3 Hybrids
6-LW
I think it's a personal issue in terms of what you have confidence in!

Bag set up is very individual, it is all about not having an overly large gap between two clubs, what works for one might not work for another. I have a 6* gap between Driver, FW, Hybrid standard gaps between irons and 5* gap between wedges which works out to fairly even gaps between all my clubs with no "holes" anywhere.

What makes the iron much more versatile?

i grew up playing links golf where you needed to be able to control the flight of the ball depending on the wind, and hybrids (which generally are designed to get the ball in the air easier and have a higher loft for a similar distance) were a lot harder to keep down and "punch" into the wind.

I also feel that the flat face of an iron is more accurate and easier to control that the roll and bulge of a hybrid, plus the profile of an iron lends itself to a greater variation of lies.

But it's a fair point, and as others have said this is mostly all personal preference on my part and i can completely see why some prefer hybrids even in the mid irons, it's an age old debate after all.

Back