Srixon Z-545 irons vs Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons...Which would you choose?

bobcat

Avid Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone on this site hit both the Srizon Z-545 irons against the JPX 850 Forged Irons?

Which did you prefer and why?

Many thanks in advance!

Have both.
Prefer the 545s. They offer significantly more lateral forgiveness to me as well as a sole that seems more versatile. Nothing wrong with either set. Just cannot think of anything that the 850s give someone that the 545s dont and then add in a few things.

Subjective things aside.

I own the 545 and have hit the 850, and I'd agree with JB's assessment. The 545 have a bit more forgiveness in a similar profile, so I'll take the extra help. I do prefer the stock shaft in the 850, but either can be ordered with the shaft of your choice.

Since I've never been in contact with the 545's I have a question for those who have...

Would the 745's be more comparable to the 850's? Or would the 745's be pushing more in comparison to the MP line for Mizuno?

545's for me. The biggest difference between the two for me when I hit them head to head was the difference in launch forgiveness when I hit it thin - on those shots, the 545's offered way more help.

545s are more comparable

78488cbe4e1efc13647657ffd5235f82.jpg

68b20654308e622c9e072b90f753de33.jpg

3271557767da21eec190b02745177538.jpg

Great pics....Would love to see pics comparing the 545 to the 745 as well. Anybody want to chime in on your experiences in comparing the 545 with the 745???

I played the 850 forged for a few months and just got my 545 set earlier this week. I've had play time with the 545s prior to my set came so here's what I found (spoiler alert, I ended up with liking the 545s more which is why i dropped the cash for them :act-up:)

Like JB mentioned, there is more lateral forgiveness and it's mostly evident with shots towards the toe. You really lose distance with the 850s where as the 545s for ME only lost about 10 yards. And when it comes to thin (by thin I don't mean like a bladed rocket shot lol) shots, 545s again win in terms of maintaining true flight, getting up in the air and still getting you close to your target.
The 545s come stock with a D3 weight and my 850s had a D2 weight. That might not seem like a lot, and it may not be for others, but I can tell at impact and I prefer the "thumping" feel and weighting I get with the 545s.
Everything I've told you so far are just small differences...where the 545s shine and made my decision easy was the turf interaction both on the fairway and especially in the rough. On shots that are slightly fat I almost completely got away with it with the 545s, and out of the rough I still get great contact and is met with a nice solid sound and feel.

Both are forged clubs and in terms of subjective things like feel, they both feel great lol but in terms of looks....those 545s just look sexy to me :)

545's for me. The biggest difference between the two for me when I hit them head to head was the difference in launch forgiveness when I hit it thin - on those shots, the 545's offered way more help.

Exactly my thoughts. 545s are stupid easy to launch.

I have the 850's
I love them.

You guys suck.

I swore I'd play these 850's for 10 years...
But now shatter hearing do much about the 545's...I want to hit then so bad.

If I like them, I'll send my 850's to Vancouver fur my trips up north.

Wife ain't going to be too happy about this.

Well now I want to the 545s haha

Hello, new comer here interested in these two clubs.

I used to golf most weekends, but the last 10 years, I have only got our a few times each summer. Life a has changed a bit, and I'd like play once a week this summer, and looking at replacing my 20 y/o duffer irons. I used to shoot about 90, but now am often over 100. Pretty confident that golfing regularly will get me to 90 again, especially with my first set of decent clubs.

I went to a store today and hit a bunch of iron sets (all 7 irons): Callaway (Apex and XR), Taylormade M2, Mizuno JPX 850 forged, Ping G, Titleist AP1. The first club I hit was the 850 forged, and once I shook the rust off felt ok. After trying all the others, the M2's came close for distance and dispersion but didn't feel as good. The Apex's felt better than the M2's, but I didn't quite have the distance with them, and I had to back off on swing a bit. I tired the 850 forged again, and just really hit them well. I consistently pulled with them, but not a hook. The feel was good, and I hit them the longest of all the clubs as well. I should also mention the 850's and Apex's I tested had a stiff shaft while the rest did not.

I thought the larger clubs would be better for me, and expected the 850's to be the worst. But with the larger clubs, my swing felt awkward, and I hit way more toes and heels, where as with the 850's I tended to hit the ball correctly more often.

Anyway, the shop did not have Srixon Z 545's in stock, and won't for another couple weeks. I am interested in these clubs, given what I have read, plus they are about 20% cheaper than the 850 forged here. Given how I fared with the other clubs, what are the chances I hit the 545 well? I assume I will like the feel, as the two clubs that 'felt' the best were also forged. But it seems I hit the smaller club face better (850's), just wondering if the 545's would feel as awkward as the Ping G's, or XR's did to me? I am getting antsy to buy, so just curious if it is worth waiting to test a 545?

Thanks,
~S

I think the 545 are in the same class size wise as the 850, if not smaller toe to heel, so you shouldn't have a problem there. Definitely a great club, that's worth trying if you can. The 850f is also great though.

Perfect, thanks. I was wondering if swing weight of the larger clubs was part of my issue. Are the weights similar on these two?

I personally liked the 545s more. I have gamed the 545s since last august and hit the 850 forged a bunch. Sounds like u would enjoy the 545s a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say z545's all day long. I hit both in my fitting and just got better results from the Srixons. Plus i reckon they look as good as anything out there.

Back