the enigma that is my swing right now...

My instructor told me that shortening a backswing is one of the hardest swing changes to make
Ain't that the truth!

Yeah man it really is a difficult conversion mentally and easy as pie physically. Such a fickle game lol. Your swing looks good dude, keep up the work it's paying off.
It's a crazy game. That's why we love it lol

The hardest part of shortening the downswing is getting the the rest of the body to get in sync. My timing is based on a longer backswing so the sequence and timing was all off when i tried to shorten it

The hardest part of shortening the downswing is getting the the rest of the body to get in sync. My timing is based on a longer backswing so the sequence and timing was all off when i tried to shorten it
Most definitely hit some shanks, fatties, and skulls today lol. Felt like I made good progress. Stopping the lean and right foot from leaving the ground and spinning out is the hardest part for me

Looking good Kanger!! Focus on what your instructor has you working on and what thoughts Freddie may have and keep working hard and it'll pay off buddy!

Looks good, man! Much more in control. I did notice the club face issue at the top though. I think i know whats causing it, but thats a little above my paygrade so I'd ask your instructor about that one.

Looks good, man! Much more in control. I did notice the club face issue at the top though. I think i know whats causing it, but thats a little above my paygrade so I'd ask your instructor about that one.
I have always had a bit of a shut face at the top. At this point my instructor doesn't want to worry about it. Focus for the next month is the short swing, no leaning to target at transition and keeping the right foot on the ground longer. Oh tempo, tempo, tempo! He wants me to be as slow as I can while comfortable on the back swing and fire through fast at downswing maintaining spine angle

I have always had a bit of a shut face at the top. At this point my instructor doesn't want to worry about it. Focus for the next month is the short swing, no leaning to target at transition and keeping the right foot on the ground longer. Oh tempo, tempo, tempo! He wants me to be as slow as I can while comfortable on the back swing and fire through fast at downswing maintaining spine angle
I gotcha. As long as you're making consistent enough contact to feel comfy with your changes then I think that's a good plan.

I like the short and slow, then explode approach for you. It fits your build and body type well.

I like the progress you've made Kang. Looks.like you're a bit inside on the take away and turning the shoulder on top of the ball instead of behind. But all in all a solid swing.

I just saw this for the first time. Nice swing Kang! I'm jealous of your lower body control, your swing looks really stable and powerful. I can't wait to see the next step. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the enigma that is my swing right now...

Most definitely hit some shanks, fatties, and skulls today lol. Felt like I made good progress. Stopping the lean and right foot from leaving the ground and spinning out is the hardest part for me

I'm also at Golftec, also focusing on keeping right foot down before impact and not spinning it out to right. This swing change does feel awkward in the beginning! Best of luck.

I'm also at Golftec, also focusing on keeping right foot down before impact and not spinning it out to right. This swing change does feel awkward in the beginning! Best of luck.
Swing changes are hard. It will test your mental fortitude for sure

another lesson at golftec today. working on same things as last time with more focus on keeping the right heel on the ground longer through impact. we have concluded that the forward lean at the top of the swing and the right foot spinning out early is the main causes of my OTT move.

I think a Tiger may need to stop in at Golftec. It was painful watching him, like looking in a mirror for me!

Kang it looks good. I like what you're working on and the speed of your swing. Keep it up

Kang it looks good. I like what you're working on and the speed of your swing. Keep it up
Thanks Freddie! It's a lot of reps and drills to keep the feeling and get some muscle memory. I still have a ways to go but this is they key to continued improvement I think

Current work in progress. Back to square one it seems. Shorter backswing needed to keep the lateral sway in check. Working on covering the ball more at impact and swinging out more with right arm and less flip.

Last edited:
its been a while since i posted here... not sure if the swing looks any different visually but feels better
[video=youtube;s3VISkY-N8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VISkY-N8U[/video]

wow! your swing looks very fluid and powerful. Far cry from what it used to be.

wow! your swing looks very fluid and powerful. Far cry from what it used to be.
Thanks Freddie! I'm seeing a bit more hip turn than wanted and still a bit cross the line at the top. Still taking it back a bit inside but getting better.

Thanks Freddie! I'm seeing a bit more hip turn than wanted and still a bit cross the line at the top. Still taking it back a bit inside but getting better.

You are getting behind the ball well, good transition and great fluidity.

Working on a change yet again. In search of more consistency delivering the club. Main focus currently is the feeling of driving right inner thigh into the ground while simultaneously pulling left hip back and up (working on posting on sturdier left side) as the main drive of my downswing. Trying to eliminate the lefts with proper body turn through impact and not flip

Working on a change yet again. In search of more consistency delivering the club. Main focus currently is the feeling of driving right inner thigh into the ground while simultaneously pulling left hip back and up (working on posting on sturdier left side) as the main drive of my downswing. Trying to eliminate the lefts with proper body turn through impact and not flip
Have you considered just slowing down your swing? Find a better tempo so you don't have to flip.

Have you considered just slowing down your swing? Find a better tempo so you don't have to flip.
My tempo has dramatically changed from when I started for the better. Still in search of that perfect combination of tempo and technique. Getting my body to turn properly and reducing the amount of hand/wrist/arm manipulation is what I'm focused on right now

Found some things out at iron fitting today. My path is consistently about 4° out but my face ranges from 4° open to 1.5° closed. What I've found is my grip is influenced a ton by my right hand grip. Even with weak left hand, when I waggle I tend to regain with right hand and close the face. Focusing on keeping the right hand grip in the fingers and not choking the club has done wonders for my ball striking. A lot less pull draw/ hook today

Back