1 Degree makes a difference!

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
I have been playing 9 degree drivers for a really long time. I have messed with hosel adjustments on the range, but always set the club back to standard. Today I set my driver to 10 and left my wrench at home. Good or bad i was committed to the change. I was very happy with the results. The 1 degree made big difference for me. I hit the ball really high for me with no ballooning and got really nice distance gains. I'm going to keep with it for a few rounds and see if today was an anomaly. Anyone else see advantages +/- 1 degree?

Awesome, Rich!

I set my XR16 to 11* (up from 10*) on Saturday since the ground was soaked and I wanted to see how much more carry I would get. The ball flight looked great and I think I might have gotten some more distance too. I set my EX9 to 11* for 9 holes after work tonight and it was more of the same. I think I'll keep this experiment going for a while too.

Loft up!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Im at 11.25 and love it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It really does make a difference, Get on a launch monitor and fiddle around with lofts, it will surprise you what 1 or 2 deg does to spin, ball flight, and carry. I used to also always loft everything down, but just recently been on a launch monitor a bunch and found I get the best numbers from 11.5 deg.

I moved mine up +1 in March and haven't put it back down yet. Has helped on carry distance quite a bit. I am playing 11 1/2 and staying there.

i would be fine to play an 11* bonded driver. but cranking up higher just looks too closed for me, so i'm at neutral.

So I'm seeing some are getting better carry distance by lofting up, but I assume run out is suffering? I'm actually pretty shocked that I was seeing decent run out with the extra height, not nearly as much as prior, but the ball isn't stopping where it lands either. I'd be curious to see spin numbers and will make it a point to do so. Crazy that it's only 1 degree. Thanks guys.

So I'm seeing some are getting better carry distance by lofting up, but I assume run out is suffering? I'm actually pretty shocked that I was seeing decent run out with the extra height, not nearly as much as prior, but the ball isn't stopping where it lands either. I'd be curious to see spin numbers and will make it a point to do so. Crazy that it's only 1 degree. Thanks guys.
Ehh I think carry is much more important than run out. Its about optimizing spin numbers alnd launch to get max performance put of the driver. If you can carry the ball 10 yrds farther and get maybe a few yards less roll out its going to be miles longer on average on the course imo. Run out is mostly based on fairway softness or hardness and slopes on fairway.
Also lofting up will help with dispersion. I was averaging 10 yard more by lifting up 1 degree.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

When I first bought my 10.5 GBB I had it set to +1, but as I went through my lessons that got dropped back down to the stated loft for a while before then being dropped again down to 9.5

Just over a month ago I changed it back up to 10.5 to see how it performed, but when I went for my last lesson my instructor actually recommended putting it back down to 9.5 as we were seeing better numbers at that setting, so that is where it is and where it will be staying

Great stuff Rich! I experiment from time to time but always go back to the standard 10.5 setting.

mus be the time of year to experiment...i normally play the the xr pro at 9.5 and neutral, last night i cranked up to 12.5. Sky ball city. tinkered for about 6 dozen balls settling on 9.5 draw. its good for about 240-250 carry but i still get no roll

Just remember if you adjust the hosel and don't resole the club with a neutral face essentially you are just messing with face and lie angle changes.

Not to say those can't have a big impact too. I like loft but don't like a closed face. So I went up to an 11-14* head. At 14* I see more of a draw flight. So I back it down to 11-12.5* and still get a nice high flight but a straighter flight.

It makes a significant difference for me. More loft is my friend!!

I have been playing 9 degree drivers for a really long time. I have messed with hosel adjustments on the range, but always set the club back to standard. Today I set my driver to 10 and left my wrench at home. Good or bad i was committed to the change. I was very happy with the results. The 1 degree made big difference for me. I hit the ball really high for me with no ballooning and got really nice distance gains. I'm going to keep with it for a few rounds and see if today was an anomaly. Anyone else see advantages +/- 1 degree?

Mesa,
Check out this video we just posted today. While it is geared towards a specific driver, it really fits all of them, as it pertains to how to dial it in.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...2930-How-to-Dial-In-Your-Callaway-Epic-Driver

Just remember if you adjust the hosel and don't resole the club with a neutral face essentially you are just messing with face and lie angle changes.

Not to say those can't have a big impact too. I like loft but don't like a closed face. So I went up to an 11-14* head. At 14* I see more of a draw flight. So I back it down to 11-12.5* and still get a nice high flight but a straighter flight.
The club I'm using allows me to adjust loft and club face angle. The face looks square to me and ball flight/direction confirmed it. I was hitting a high soft draw all day and a couple "landed" in spots I rarely play from. I've learned long ago not to get too excited just yet, but I am really looking forward to trying again.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Very helpful spot on how to dial in an Epic, and pretty much any adjustable head. AJ and Nate explained it well and answered all of my questions. Increasing my loft and the resulting .5 degree of face closing clearly showed in my shot shape. Increase in height and a soft draw. Outstanding.

Back