skeets

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife brought up the possibility, but we're not going to be able to play then. Anybody planning on being out on the course during the eclipse?

I tee off in a tournament tomorrow at 2PM - so I will be on the course (only 80% coverage here in PA between 1:40PM and 4PM).

I live in the Salem Oregon area which is 100% coverage area. Im not playing but most of the courses have a tournament going on during the eclipse which happens around 10 am. Most of the courses seem to be treating it like a night golf event with glow balls and such. Im preferring to watch the eclipse with my family though and not golf that day.

My wife brought up the possibility, but we're not going to be able to play then. Anybody planning on being out on the course during the eclipse?

I plan to play at noon today, so I'll be out. Here in Florida we are in a prime area.

just as a reminder to anyone.. If you or your children don't have a proper way of viewing the eclipse please don't let curious temptation draw your/their eyes to the sun. Its no joke that eyes can get damaged and it can be permanent. The suns brightness itself is normally and usually more than bright enough for us to automatically shield our eyes as we track our balls flying. We shield without even thinking. But the blocked sun not so much and combine that with curiosity of viewing this astronomy favorite...well...just be smart. Don't do it unless you know what and how :)

I'm not taking any chances, no. I'm playing late in the afternoon when all of this nonsense is over.

I'm not taking any chances, no. I'm playing late in the afternoon when all of this nonsense is over.

You're fine playing during eclipse time. It's basically the same advice as you'd have day-to-day. Don't look directly into the sun. Has nothing to do with the eclipse.

You're fine playing during eclipse time. It's basically the same advice as you'd have day-to-day. Don't look directly into the sun. Has nothing to do with the eclipse.

I know that part - I mean being tempted to catch a glimpse without the silly glasses. I'll just hunker down in my office here at home and work all day until I leave for the course.

Seeing day to day how good people are at listening to advice, there's going to be a lot of blind MFers tomorrow.

absolutely...no different. Only reason its usually mentioned is that because of this situation people get tempted to purposely look and stare. Heck, all the times we've tracked balls into the sun you think we'd all be blind by now. But when we do that we are not actually staring directly into it nor for any length of time. Our brains/eyes kind of automatically force us to look away almost reflex like. But here with a darkened sun it makes it easier plus add to that our curiosity and people can get tempted.

But anyway Im always for astronomy of any kind. So happy eclipse day everyone :)

I will be on the course. Don't know how it will affect my eyes but i don't expect to look directly at it too much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I always wondered how many people went blind or had massive damage to their eyes back in the old days when they didn't have all of these eclipse warnings.

I played during it. No glasses, but used my phone to watch it ( eclipse selfie of the sun.)

and so I was acrtually on the course during the event. Wasn't planned but I got out yesterday. My dad also had a pair of viewing glasses. It was cool to see. What amazes me is how small the sun actually looks. I mean when the glasses take all the glare away you just see this glowing orange-hot small poker chip. And it amazes me that little circle is actually large enough to house almost a million planet earths. Its really (like all things cosmology) almost hard to absorb.

If the sun was a basketball the earth would be a sesame seed and be placed about 75 yrds away. If you think about that to scale its pretty darn amazing. Whats even more amazing is that there are stars where as our sun could be the seseme seed. That's pretty scary stuff imo. Heres an interesting link with vid fwiw to you

https://forcetoknow.com/space/top-10-largest-stars-universe.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz4vGvoxQA&feature=player_embedded

I was out on the course at the time of the supposed eclipse but never saw any thing that resembled an eclipse. A bunch of people shelled out a few bucks for those eclipse glasses to never get a chance to use them. Well maybe they can save them until the next eclipse, in 2024 I believe

I was out on the course at the time of the supposed eclipse but never saw any thing that resembled an eclipse. A bunch of people shelled out a few bucks for those eclipse glasses to never get a chance to use them. Well maybe they can save them until the next eclipse, in 2024 I believe

what were you expecting it to resemble? Not really sure I get your thoughts there. It had become much less bright for quite enough time this was going on. Its not going to get nighttime in appearance. The sun was still eliminating the atmosphere .

You couldn't see it without the glasses, plus you only had about 50% total coverage in NY. I had 98% in NC and still couldn't really tell without the glasses, aside from it getting a little darker and about 20 degrees cooler for 10 minutes.

I drove from Raleigh down to Lexington, SC for the eclipse. Luckily I threw my clubs in the car just in case. I was expecting a traffic nightmare and found no traffic the whole way down. Got in around 12:30 so decided to find a course and play 9 to burn the time. Ended up at Golden Hills Golf & Country Club. This was the first course I have played away from the one down the road from my house since I have only been playing for a month. It definitely showed as I shot a 57. My driver was actually working pretty well for me found several fairways but the irons got away from me hitting several balls up top that just rolled along and gave me no shot at a decent score. Putting was just bad with many 3 or 4 putts as well. My usual course is mostly flat with reasonable speeds. This one had several nasty slopes and the greens were very fast so I had several of those oops just missed and oh look now its rolled all the way off the green son of a...

The eclipse itself was amazing! Sure it took me nearly 8 hours to get home but there was no comparison between nearly full and when it went into total eclipse. If you missed this one or only saw a partial one where you were I suggest you do what you can do get into the totality line in 2024 if you are at all interested in this kinda stuff.

and so I was acrtually on the course during the event. Wasn't planned but I got out yesterday. My dad also had a pair of viewing glasses. It was cool to see. What amazes me is how small the sun actually looks. I mean when the glasses take all the glare away you just see this glowing orange-hot small poker chip. And it amazes me that little circle is actually large enough to house almost a million planet earths. Its really (like all things cosmology) almost hard to absorb.

If the sun was a basketball the earth would be a sesame seed and be placed about 75 yrds away. If you think about that to scale its pretty darn amazing. Whats even more amazing is that there are stars where as our sun could be the seseme seed. That's pretty scary stuff imo. Heres an interesting link with vid fwiw to you

https://forcetoknow.com/space/top-10-largest-stars-universe.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz4vGvoxQA&feature=player_embedded

7VrK9uL.gif

what were you expecting it to resemble? Not really sure I get your thoughts there. It had become much less bright for quite enough time this was going on. Its not going to get nighttime in appearance. The sun was still eliminating the atmosphere .

I didn't know what to expect. All I and my other 3 golfing partners know is that the intensity of the sunlight we were playing under during the eclipse didn't dim even in the slightest amount as far as we could tell. So it's not just me saying this.

I didn't know what to expect. All I and my other 3 golfing partners know is that the intensity of the sunlight we were playing under during the eclipse didn't dim even in the slightest amount as far as we could tell. So it's not just me saying this.

It barely got dark here at 98% coverage. The sun is very bright.

I think its possible you were simply expecting much more. Im in Jersey (not too far from you). During the eclipse there was definite noticeable amount of it being darker. But perhaps dark isn't the better term and so I'll just say and perhaps better said it was simply far less illuminated for what was a bright sunny day. Usually on a bright sunny summer day (as it was yesterday) everything sort of glows brightly like the greens of the golf course, the clothes we wear, and just in general everything is very bright. There was certainly a time for a little while that brightness was cut down considerably. It almost made it like it was later in the afternoon than it really was. Or perhaps even like more of an October sun light as though when the sun is lower in the sky at that same time of day.

The moon blocked a good portion of direct light rays and we were in the shadow of the moon. Of course..lol its not just me but It actually happened. You may have just been expecting more than what it was. You weren't going to be struggling to see. And you would not have said "wow" its dark. But if you took good notice and were well aware before it happened and then while it was happening and then again after...... It was not hard to see how it slowly became less illuminated outside and how the brightest reflections were slowly tamed and then slowly brightened up again as the moon drifted away. It was very gradual and not of course immediate like a switch and that's why it required an awareness of it. But there was a definite difference. What can I say? too bad you didn't notice it.

It barely got dark here at 98% coverage. The sun is very bright.

that's the thing. It doesn't get dark it just becomes less illuminated. And it happens gradually.
Had this happened hypothetically where the moon suddenly blocked the sun in only a seconds time it would have then felt much more like someone dimmed the lights a bit and be far more noticeable. And then when the moon quickly jumped out of the way in only a second the person would have hypothetically turned the lights back up again.

DH3uwugXYAUH-Hs.jpg:large

Back