tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
I did the sleep test a few weeks back and go in this week for the results (I'm guessing the fact the doctor wants me to come in to go over the results tells me something). I'm not sure what's ahead - mouth piece, cpap machine or maybe even surgery, but if it means getting real sleep and not feeling like crap all day then I'm all for it.

Is anyone else dealing with this? An advice or tips? How are you feeling after the treatment?

HOpe you get it taken care of. I have read a little about it and it sounds awful.

I'm just a regular insomniac, but good luck..hopefully it's not as bad as you're anticipating.

I appreciate the sentiment but my tone may have come off wrong. I'm not especially worried or anything - I'm on the path to getting things fixed and that's a very good thing. I look forward to getting a decent nights sleep and not being tired all day!

I kind of figured on a forum of nearly all men I couldn't be the only one and maybe others would like to share info.

Yep I have just been diagnosed with it and am getting my machine within the next few days. My wife, her brother, a friend of ours, and my mom all have had it for years and use the cpap machines. Looking forward to not being drowsy as soon as I sit down and start to relax. Also mom said the headaches when you wake up at times will stop too.

Yep I have just been diagnosed with it and am getting my machine within the next few days. My wife, her brother, a friend of ours, and my mom all have had it for years and use the cpap machines. Looking forward to not being drowsy as soon as I sit down and start to relax. Also mom said the headaches when you wake up at times will stop too.
Are you getting a similar or different device from your wife? How loud is it?

I'm not sure yet if it will be the same one yet or not but can say the machine itself is quiet but the the sound of the air is loud when the mask is off or when you don't have a good seal.

Frank, at times I have had this but mine is pretty off and on. It can happen for weeks at a time, then none for days or weeks. It is very puzzling indeed. Have you tried the apps on your phone the white noise, nature sounds, running waterfalls ect?

Once there is a good seal you can't hear it that much but keeping the seal has been the hardest thing for my wife as she has thick hair and it makes the strap difficult to keep in place.

My dad uses the machine but he doesn't like it says it makes his chest hurt. I know others that swear by it though. They're improving the machines and treatment all the time.

haven't been tested myself, but I should be as I always struggle sleeping well.

Have to friends/colleagues that did the testing, got the cpap machines and won't go a night without them. Said it is night and day (excuse the pun) but one of my friends is like a new man. He used to be grumpy and testy (because he never got a good nights sleep) but is a very happy guy now.

Hopefully it works out well for you Frank.

I have an APAP machine. I move a lot at night and really struggle keeping it on. Only thing I can tell u is that if u are a nose breather when u sleep (I am not) then make sure u get just the nose mask. Because I have the full mask and it drives me bonkers.

As per loudness. My girlfriend is fickle with noise (No TV, nothing in bedroom) but the machine doesn't bother her at all.

Goodluck man, it's a ton of work but when u make it through a night with it u feel sooo much better

Hey Frank. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about five years ago and I had the CPAP for about two months and couldn't sleep with it on at all. Kind if defeated the purpose ha

So the Dr told me the only other option was to lose about thirty pounds or risk dying. Kind of a tough straight forward message.

I lost the weight gained it back and lost it again after the knee surgery. I haven't been tested since.

But I feel in sleeping much better and I know I'm not snoring, which is usually a big indicator of Sleep Apnea.

As for noise. Like McRoberts said. It mostly just a slight hum in the background. Michelle got used to it with no problem.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

A few friends have this and the machines are better now. Each one was a tad on the heavy side and like Rob were told to lose weight. Two of them have and their apnea has reduced and they don't use the machine as often.

I dealt with apnea for years. I had it when I wasn't a fluffy heifer, too, so...? Finally, the Air Force OK'd that surgery where they break your nose and rotor-rooter everything out and whatnot. I had already had my tonsils done when I was a kid, but I guess my passages are small or something. As freaking awful and painful as that surgery was, it did nothing, and I've been on a machine for years now. In fact, it has almost 18,000 hours on it. I keep it on the floor and you can't hear a thing, and mine is ancient. I'd love to have a new, and smaller, one, but the co-pay is ridiculous. Only when the seal breaks does my wife wake up and nudge me. I hate toting that thing around, and looking like a space pilot while sleeping, but otherwise, I wake up constantly.

Opt for one with a humidifier if you can because that helps keep the dry air out of your lungs, which is what hurts most people. I can tell as soon as I wake up if my water ran out in the middle of the night, as it's like having a dry cough or something similar going on in your chest.

I did the sleep test a few weeks back and go in this week for the results (I'm guessing the fact the doctor wants me to come in to go over the results tells me something). I'm not sure what's ahead - mouth piece, cpap machine or maybe even surgery, but if it means getting real sleep and not feeling like crap all day then I'm all for it.

Is anyone else dealing with this? An advice or tips? How are you feeling after the treatment?
My dad has sleep apnea. Has a clap machine that while it took getting used to, was a great thing. Doesn't snore much anymore and actually gets deep sleep.

I've been using a CPAP machine for probably 8 years now. My sleep study showed I stopped breathing about 40 times an hour and that it took me longer to fall asleep and woke up earlier than the average person. My sleep SUCKED for years before my doctor suggested a sleep study. When I got the machine I was so excited thinking I'd get my first night of good rest. Yeah right. I'm pretty claustrophobic and having the mask cover only my nose was intolerable. It took about three months of taking my mask off halfway through the night before I could sleep through the whole night and to this day I hate that machine and mask. All that said, if I go a night without it I wake up feeling like my heart is racing, I'm dead tired and feeling as though a truck ran over my chest. This last weekend we went out of town and I left my power cord at home. Three nights without my CPAP machine and I was the walking dead.

If you struggle with the machine, please stick with it. I know people who did take to it more naturally and I hope that will be your case but if not, don't give up. Once you're acclimated a night without it is damn near intolerable. I was DREADING going to bed this last weekend without it.

I know I sound like a downer but this will help you immensely. Best of luck and be sure to check out all your mask options. Don't just accept what they give you.

Last edited:
Sleep Apnea

I was diagnosed four years ago after my wife finally got me to go to the Dr. My apnea wasn't really bad so I was able to get an oral appliance and after a couple of weeks getting used to it, it's no problem. I sleep sooo much better, don't snore anymore and wake up feeling good. Changed my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was diagnosed four years ago after my wife finally got me to go to the Dr. My apnea wasn't really bad so I was able to get an oral appliance and after a couple of weeks getting used to it, it's no problem. I sleep sooo much better, don't snore anymore and wake up feeling good. Changed my life.

What oral appliance are you using? If possible I would love to ditch the mask.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and have been using a CPAP machine ever since. My machine rests on my night stand and it is pretty quiet once I put it on. I will say that the first week or so was an adjustment, but the sleep center where I went was phenomenal about finding me a mask that was comfortable for me. The difference of using one vs. not using one has been night and day for me. I have a ton of energy and my caffeine intake has dropped significantly . With the machine, I barely move at night and rarely wake up at night.

The only issue has been traveling because it does become another thing you have to bring or pack. I did forget to bring it for the Kentucky Invitational and I noticed a huge difference in just a couple of days.

I've never been diagnosed officially but the doctor told me I had a ton of symptoms and should be checked. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and paying out of pocket is a total joke.

My snoring is getting intolerable for my wife so I have to figure something out and soon. Not to mention how tired and sluggish I always feel. That's the worst part for me is people not understanding how little energy I have after a full day on my feet at work.

I am supposed to go in for the sleep testing, I need to set up the appointment. My father is on a Cpap machine and after seeing I i dont know if I could sleep with one of those on my face. Hoping they do not diagnose me with this. But if it means I would actually be able to sleep a full night I will learn to live with it.

My father in law has a cpap. He travels for work quite a bit and never leaves without it. I remember a few years ago his machine broke and after going 2 nights without it he had a new one over nighted just so he could get some sleep.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago as well. Adapting to the cpap machine was very easy for me. Maybe because the feeling seems similar to using SCUBA except the pressurized air is entering my nose (nasal pillows) versus my mouth while diving. My machine is quiet, it automatically adapts to altitude and ambient air temperature. The air here in California isn’t exactly clean (shocking, I know) and I use the optional HEPA filter in addition to the regular air filter and it seems to really help.

Traveling with the cpap machine isn’t a big deal. Since it’s a medical device it does not count against your carry-on luggage limit. Use distilled water or purified bottled water. DO NOT use tap water. The legal limits for safe tap water still allow for a lot of things you don’t want forced into the nice warm recesses of your respiratory system.

My results came back - 12 episodes per hour, which is mild. Mild + BMI less than 30 means I'm a candidate for the oral device or cpap machine. I'm leaning toward trying the oral device first.

Back