emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
We see each company do something different to deliver a driver that works for the large majority of golfers. We see many times in threads here about a lot of tech or not so much tech in drivers depending IMO on whether it's visible or not.

What are things you consider "techy" in a driver? If two companies do the same thing with with weights but one is slightly more simplistic than the other is it less tech? Does all the tech or a large portion of it need to be visible to be considered techy?

To me "techy" is adjustable weighting and loft. Newer materials as well.

If a golf club comes with an instruction manual it's Techy.

Wilson Triton epitomizes techy. The more adjustability you have (hosel, weights, plates) then the more techy it is to me.

Techy to me is anything other than a fixed head with no weights

If you can adjust weights, or change anything to do with loft / face angles then there is some form of tech involved

I do think that sometimes there can be too many adjustability options, but maybe that is needed to ensure that the biggest number of people could benefit from it when using the club to find the settings that suit their swing

Techy is about the design tools and analysis done on the head or shaft to help optimize performance. Weights and adjustability are part of the picture but you also need to look at aerodynamics/ head shape to get higher club speed, materials to get more ball speed and forgiveness across the whole face, and acoustics to make the driver sound appealing to the user.

Basically everything is techy in club design

Back