Trying To Break 90 Club

Too many OB off the tee yesterday held me back. On 18, I pulled out the hybrid and hit one right down the middle. Had I been doing that all day, I would have done it without issue.

I need to play smarter....

I had a bad day with my 3 wood off the tee and just wonder why I didn't give it a timeout and hit hybrid. 4 in the water and one lost, presumably OB but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it. All this for maybe 20 or so more yards off the tee?

Trying To Break 90 Club

I had a bad day with my 3 wood off the tee and just wonder why I didn't give it a timeout and hit hybrid. 4 in the water and one lost, presumably OB but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it. All this for maybe 20 or so more yards off the tee?

There are 2 long, uphill and tight par4 holes where I essentially play as par 5s. I come off the tee with a 4/5 iron. Hit it twice and the chip/pitch to the hole. Before this approach, my average was 7.3 on both holes. Now in 4 attempts, I have 1 par, 2 bogies, and 1 double (duffed tee shot).

Sometimes it's better to play old man golf and stay out of trouble.

There are 2 long, uphill and tight par4 holes where I essentially play as par 5s. I come off the tee with a 4/5 iron. Hit it twice and the chip/pitch to the hole. Before this approach, my average was 7.3 on both holes. Now in 4 attempts, I have 1 par, 2 bogies, and 1 double (duffed tee shot).

Sometimes it's better to play old man golf and stay out of trouble.

The thing is that where we are playing the fairways are really dry so you can get a good roll so distance isn't an issue. But in thinking back on it I was freezing on the tee with a FW in my hand. Really was thinking too much about my hand position. The first 4 holes we play on this particular course has a road on the right which gets in my head even though I play a slight draw normally. As a kid on this same course I used to have a strong fade so I keep thinking about that. After that there is just a lot of water. I should have hit my 2H on the par 4s and 5 in those first four holes and just think of building my confidence. Hell, I can use my 3H or 4H and still be better off than I was yesterday.

Nothing wrong with "old man's golf." I'm 54 so not quite there yet but some of those old guys keep the ball in the fairway and when you look at their scorecard you realize there are many ways to play this game.

With my last round being a 90, I was looking forward to breaking 90 today but it just wasn't meant to be. Shot 92. Had 5 double bogeys but nothing worse which may be a first for me so far this year, just not enough par saves.

Last edited:
With my last round being a 90, I was looking forward to breaking 90 today but it just wasn't meant to be. Shot 92. Had 3 double bogeys but nothing worse which may be a first for me so far this year, just not enough par saves.

Great round with u today Ron! Funny how we shot the same score. But 3 triples killed my run at the 80's. I was +7 on the front 9 but had problems on that back 9. Consecutive trips and poor judgment of the speed on the greens did me in. I left so many putts short that didn't even have a chance. All in all though, solid rounds... Keep up the good work!!

Walked 9 on a par 30 executive course and finished at +3 (personal best for me on that course). I got greedy and played 18 more on the par 72 layout and shot 49/51. Fatigue was definitely a factor as I fell apart on the last 5 holes.

Time for me to officially rejoin this thread. Although I used to be able to stay in the 80's, I've had far too many rounds in the 90's lately. The swing feels good and I'm hitting a lot of good shots, but my bad holes are just too bad right now.

Went 43/46 for an 89 today. 1 birdie, 5 pars. 6/14 FW; 5/18 GIR, 32 putts with seven one putts. Triple on #7 and a quad on #14 cost me from going even lower.

Nice job rickterp!

Had a great troubleshooting session with my swing coach yesterday. I'm taking the club away too steep and outside the target line, which makes for all sorts of havoc in the rest of the swing to correct for what turns out to be a pull. Going to spend this week at the range sorting that out before I hit the course again.

Left a couple of chunked chips out there and 1 3 putt, even a couple of 2 putts were me rushing inside of 3'. The good part of the round was FIRs too bad followed by coming up short on 2nds

My last 5-6 rounds have been in the 90s and have knocked off some lower scores so my handicap has gone the wrong way by almost 3 strokes. A bogey has been a win for me lately. Been playing tee to green as snap hook, duck hook, wedge lately.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

I broke 90!

46/42, recoverd from a triple on #7 by paring 8 & 9 then tripled 15 but recover by paring out 16, 17 & 18. Hopefully today wasn't a fluke!

I broke 90!

46/42, recoverd from a triple on #7 by paring 8 & 9 then tripled 15 but recover by paring out 16, 17 & 18. Hopefully today wasn't a fluke!
Congrats! Way to recover, twice!

Second day in a row I shot a 94 ...

I broke 90!

Nicely done!

Shot 85 today, (best score to date) after shooting an 89 last week, so we are trending in the right direction. The main thing that helped today was good driving, and great putting (only 3 putted 3 holes). I still left some out there though, I guess you always do in this game. Had some pretty makeable birdies I gave up to make sure i got the par. Next time ill be more aggressive, Breaking 80 is next goal. To all those out there still trying to break 90, just pound the range, and work on chipping and putting. I have been doing a lot of hours on the putting green.

Also thanks to the Titleist ProV1X I found last round that I gamed this round to lead me to my lowest score ever...guess golf got a tad more expensive, as im gonna have to pick up a box of these.

Here are some of that stats form my Arccos gaming system, which I credit to helping me improve my game by showing me which parts to work on and how far I hit each club.

f9deb411-957f-40f7-8732-37ced6c3a274_zpsqzqgmpnq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fd55eb6e-ef61-44d6-99e2-8b113b2f9961_zps4q4kpd3f.jpg
[/URL]

44 on the front, after a shaky start, but played much better once I settled in...

d1b0ffa6-f730-408a-a5d6-c6ae131560c8_zpsdzikt9cw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

41 on the back, not the strongest finish after getting on in 3 on the 18th par 5 with a makeable birdy put, but couldn't handle the pressure I guess...

db743b5b-9a03-4105-a2ae-4c41e37964c7_zpstlyjczxu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

49 yesterday on the front before the rain washed out the back 9. It was a bit of an all-over-the-place round with 3 pars, 1 bogey, 3 doubles and 2 triples.

Gonna play the same course in the AM with some friends. Hopefully I'll be a bit more consistent.

Stats - https://www.swingbyswing.com/rounds/11161162/2371783

Shot another 87 today....which is great since I've been having issues with my driver. Only hit 29% fairways. Was on target to shoot 40 on the back nine until i looked at my scorecard after the 16th hole. Ended up bogey bogey on the last two holes for a 42.

Shot another 87 today....which is great since I've been having issues with my driver. Only hit 29% fairways. Was on target to shoot 40 on the back nine until i looked at my scorecard after the 16th hole. Ended up bogey bogey on the last two holes for a 42.
Good stuff! Get that driver in check and it sounds like you could be moving over to the "trying to break 80" club soon.

Good stuff! Get that driver in check and it sounds like you could be moving over to the "trying to break 80" club soon.

That and getting rid of my 3 putts. I had 3 3putts today..two of which should have been birdie putts.

Trying To Break 90 Club

I'm going backwards now. 110. Yesterday. Started off good through 6 holes but proceeded to fall apart. Driver and irons have abandoned me. I had 8 penalties and a few others in hazards where I could put a club on it. Miserable day all around.

Can't take my range work to the course. Game is officially a wreck. I'm taking a few days away over the holidays. I may be grinding myself too much.

Last edited:
I feel your pain straightslice, my game is completely off the rails, 107 today. Frustrating thing is I played the first 6 holes well and then I just don't know what happens to my swing.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain straightslice, my game is completely off the rails, 107 today. Frustrating thing is I played the first 6 holes well and then I just don't know what happens to my swing.
If Tiger can find his swing again. So can we. I guess we have to find a Dufner-esque slump buster too.

Back