Eidolon Praises PGA

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

EIDOLON Golf president Terry Koehler praised the PGA Tour for its decision to implement the Condition of Competition regarding the new Rule governing grooves on wedges and other clubs beginning Jan. 1, 2010.

"While I am totally against the U.S. Golf Association's attempts to control scoring by redefining how we manufacturers configure the grooves on wedges and other scoring clubs, I commend the PGA Tour for sticking to its commitment made to the USGA two years ago to implement the rule as a Condition of Competition for the three major professional tours,'' said Koehler, who also writes a popular blog as TheWedgeGuy.com. " To do otherwise would have created a rift in golf, where no one authority is recognized when it comes to drafting the Rules of Golf.

"While the USGA was "elected" by no one to be that authority, tradition . . . and golf is a game steeped in tradition . . . the game needs a set of Rules by which we all play, and the USGA is that rule making body,'' Koehler added. "It would just not be good for golf to have a "battle of wills" between the major players.

"But I do not think this rule is in the best interest of golf or golfers. The rule singles out the best players in the game as a target, but mandates a change in the way we make equipment that will affect all golfers, and I believe disproportionately so for the higher handicap players. Our research at EIDOLON indicates that when it comes to imparting spin to the ball around the greens, the current groove geometry is more helpful to the average player than to the highly skilled player. The top golfers know how to spin the ball with technique, and the shape of grooves only enhances that technique to a small degree. We have found, however, that the mid- to high-handicapper is much more assisted by the current groove configuration when he or she is trying to get their ball to stop.

"Whether in disagreement or not, EIDOLON will honor the Rules of Golf and will begin producing wedges that conform to the new groove geometry by January 1, 2010, as specified by the USGA with regard to this new rule,'' stated Koehler. "And we will do everything in our power to continue to build on our reputation for the finest wedges in the game, with no equal when it comes to performance.''

Though still a very small company, EIDOLON has staked out a niche with its V-SOLE wedges. Under the direction of Koehler, a 30-year industry veteran, EIDOLON Golf continues to carve out a reputation for extraordinary wedges, custom-built to each individual order. Koehler is formerly Director of Marketing for Ben Hogan, founder of Reid Lockhart Golf and President of Reid Lockhart/Ray Cook.

EIDOLON Golf's innovative approach to wedges is built around the company's patented V-SOLE technology, which combines the advantages of low and high bounce into each wedge loft. Golfers no longer have to make a choice in the store that may not work with all shots on the course. EIDOLON's V-SOLE wedges also feature CNC-milled faces and grooves for extraordinary spin and premium Rifle Spinner and SCoR graphite shafts. The company even includes a copy of its popular book, "The SCoR Method" with each wedge order to help its customers refine their short games. The company backs its wedges with the boldest Satisfaction Guarantee in the industry. Learn more at www.EidolonGolf.com.

Again I agree with part of what he says, but it's odd the way he says it. This is not so much about Eidolon praising the PGA, as it is about explaining why the new rule is bad for golf. The way it's written puts the cart before the horse. Further, why would it be bad for the PGA to reject the USGA's attempt to dictate grove volume and edge angle? We're not talking about a constitutional show down. Anyway, I would entitle the presser: Eidolon Disputes New Grove Rule, While Commending PGA for Accepting USGA's Process

Didn't the research and testing by the USGA show that the new groove rule will have a much greater effect on pros because of their swing speeds and technique? That is, recreational golfers don't really have the ability to fully take advantage of square grooves and the new grooves (modified square/v-grooves, or whatever you want to call them) impart just as much spin for the recreational golfer?

Back