Younger guys (college aged kids) on the course

I live in a college town and thus we have lots of college kids out on the courses. I am no longer a college kid but look way younger than my seasoned age (33). I can't tell you how many times older golfers see me, think I'm some punk kid and treat me like the OP was treated. Its amazing the turnabout they do when I divulge my age and where I work (a well respected financial planning firm in the area).

To the OP, don't sweat it, its going to happen. But I wouldn't disagree if you stood up for yourself and simply asked to be treated with the respect that you have shown.

Some people are just rude and nasty, and it sounds like you ran into one during your round. Thank God you can leave him on the course, and don't have to live under his roof! You would be welcome to play with our "old guy" group anytime.

I guess I missed the point in your thread title and the story you wrote, but none the less, at the end of the round, I would have waited until that guy was alone, and I would have held out my hand to shake his hand and then I would I would have told him, as I'm shaking his hand, that he was an assclown.

You did great in biting your tongue I would say. The world is full of assclowns, and many of them play golf.

Like others have said there are some sour apples in every age demographic.

I was playing a local muni a couple years ago. Not a great course by any standards (heck, no water/sand hazards on the course at all) that attracts mostly average to below average hackers. Not a dis to the course or anybody, as I don't consider myself a great player by any means and have played here numerous times. One hole, and I had about 155-165 on my approach. Well I can't remember correctly, but I think I grabbed a higher iron than I needed (or I REALLY got a hold of the correct one) and ended up over the green, on to the one behind it. Waited for the rest of my group, and properly also waited for the group that was playing that hole to finish the entire hole before playing my ball. As that group of (older) gentlemen were walking off, I got the major stink eye from 2 of them like they were some higher power on this course (they lived close, had their own carts) and I was just think stupid young kid who purposely hit to the wrong green. Shook it off and kept playing. There will always be people (old and young) that think they are of better than you on the course, just let it roll in one ear and out the other

Younger guys (college aged kids) on the course

Like others have said there are some sour apples in every age demographic.

I was playing a local muni a couple years ago. Not a great course by any standards (heck, no water/sand hazards on the course at all) that attracts mostly average to below average hackers. Not a dis to the course or anybody, as I don't consider myself a great player by any means and have played here numerous times. One hole, and I had about 155-165 on my approach. Well I can't remember correctly, but I think I grabbed a higher iron than I needed (or I REALLY got a hold of the correct one) and ended up over the green, on to the one behind it. Waited for the rest of my group, and properly also waited for the group that was playing that hole to finish the entire hole before playing my ball. As that group of (older) gentlemen were walking off, I got the major stink eye from 2 of them like they were some higher power on this course (they lived close, had their own carts) and I was just think stupid young kid who purposely hit to the wrong green. Shook it off and kept playing. There will always be people (old and young) that think they are of better than you on the course, just let it roll in one ear and out the other

sounds like my dad would love this course. Not calling him below average or a hacker, but he hates sand traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here this guy is, asking me to stop this and stop that (there were other incidents and details I've omitted for anonymity) while he's in his setup, meanwhile nearly all day he's chattering during my tee shots. I realize I was at fault for the two described incidents themselves, but he addressed them as if I had just committed some sacrilege. No "please, thanks" or anything. Sometimes I feel my elders feel all young people have no respect for the game, which is very heartbreaking since this game is my passion. Is that what any of you think? Because if so I want to know what I can do to help reverse that opinion.
Maybe it's because I'm older and feel no particular compunction to "respect my elders" (respect is earned) but there is no way in hell I would have let this geezer get away with this attitude. I would have apologized after the first time he snapped at me, but the minute he started in with his jabber I would have called him out on his hypocrisy (and I would use that very word), even though there are very few things that distract me on the course (not that he needs to know that). Would it have made for an awkward round the rest of the way? Maybe, if we were in the same cart, but if it stunned him into silence that would have been fine with me.

Disappointed that the other two people didn't stick up for you.

Maybe it's because I'm older and feel no particular compunction to "respect my elders" (respect is earned) but there is no way in hell I would have let this geezer get away with this attitude. I would have apologized after the first time he snapped at me, but the minute he started in with his jabber I would have called him out on his hypocrisy (and I would use that very word), even though there are very few things that distract me on the course (not that he needs to know that). Would it have made for an awkward round the rest of the way? Maybe, if we were in the same cart, but if it stunned him into silence that would have been fine with me.

Disappointed that the other two people didn't stick up for you.

One was his wife and the other one was just kinda there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say he's just a jerk and has nothing to do with age.

Back