Golf in Bilings MT

DylanMT

Reaction score
So I accepted a job in Billings Montana and will be moving there this week. Anyone know anything about the golf scene in Billings?

I live here, what kind of golf are you seeking private or public?

private= yellowstone club, briarwood, hilands, or laurel...

public- yegen, lake hills, Pryor creek, eagle rock....

all good courses...laurel is probably the best value @ $140/month, and a very nice track....

most public courses are easy enough to get n for weekend rounds...

glad to answer any other questions...

I played a couple round at a course a few hours east in Forsyth Montana.

I played a couple round at a course a few hours east in Forsyth Montana.

If you dont mind driving...there are some incredible courses...but the local ones are just fine...

Some of the notable courses in the region...

Powder Horn- 2 Hours south to Sheridan Wyoming
  • Golfweek’s America’s Best Course You Can Play 2006, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, '12, '13
  • Golfweek’s Top 100 Modern Golf Courses - 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
  • Golfweek’s Best Residential Golf Courses 2006, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, '12, '13
Old Works- 3.5 Hours West toward Butte Montana
  • Montana's Number 1 course- GolfWeek
  • 2013 US Open Qualifier
  • 2011 GolfWeeks best courses you can play

You will not be Golf Starved in the area...lots of great golf, and a great golf shop called Mitchell Golf...great people, very good prices,and incredible service!!!

Thanks a lot for the info Mtdream.

I'm just looking for public courses to play at around Billings once a week or every two weeks. I start my new job on Saturday and I think I'll be pretty exhausted for my first two weeks in Billings so I might not be making it out on the course as much as I'd like but once I settle in I'm excited to check out some of the courses.

I see that Yegen is only a couple of miles from me and it's about the same price I pay for nine holes here but on a smaller course. I'm excited to check it out.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for the info Mtdream.

I'm just looking for public courses to play at around Billings once a week or every two weeks. I start my new job on Saturday and I think I'll be pretty exhausted for my first two weeks in Billings so I might not be making it out on the course as much as I'd like but once I settle in I'm excited to check out some of the courses.

I see that Yegen is only a couple of miles from me and it's about the same price I pay for nine holes here but on a smaller course. I'm excited to check it out.

Thanks a lot!

We are members at Yegen, Aaron is a good pro, and Jarod the assistant is good...getting to know them, they will always squeeze you in, and for the most part, good people on the course...always a few yahoos but that is humans :)

the par 3 in town (Exchange city) is also a very nice par 3, great greens...

I have played the Old Works, drop it on your list it's a great course. If the wind is up, pack two lunches, because it will eat your first.

I have played the Old Works, drop it on your list it's a great course. If the wind is up, pack two lunches, because it will eat your first.

exactly!!! and if your playing from the tips @ 7700 yards...it is a LONG course...even taking into account if being at 5300ft. of elevation, it is a LONG course...and if your not hitting fairways, it "will eat your lunch", and your buddies...

however, it is definitely a go to course!!! they have some really fun tournaments each year toward end of year, and opening the year...so those are really reasonable times to play the course...

Thanks again for the info. I went to Yegen for the first time today to just hit some balls and it was good. Prices for range balls were much cheaper than the course I played at in Minnesota. There were some "Yegen Kids" there so the putting and chippin greens were filled with kids so couldn't play around on those. I'm sure I'll play 9 holes here soon.

Thanks again for the info!

Thanks again for the info. I went to Yegen for the first time today to just hit some balls and it was good. Prices for range balls were much cheaper than the course I played at in Minnesota. There were some "Yegen Kids" there so the putting and chippin greens were filled with kids so couldn't play around on those. I'm sure I'll play 9 holes here soon.

Thanks again for the info!

You bet, my son was one of those hackin and wackin.....

shoot me a private message and we will get out some time...

move out here with oil and as business??

You bet, my son was one of those hackin and wackin.....

shoot me a private message and we will get out some time...

move out here with oil and as business??

Nice. I remember being one of the kids with the First Tee.

I'm the newest zookeeper at Zoomontana. You should bring your son sometime.

Nice. I remember being one of the kids with the First Tee.

I'm the newest zookeeper at Zoomontana. You should bring your son sometime.

Very cool, we have a great town, and great community....look forward to hitting links together, and will definitely get the kids down there

If you dont mind driving...there are some incredible courses...but the local ones are just fine...

Some of the notable courses in the region...

Powder Horn- 2 Hours south to Sheridan Wyoming
  • Golfweek’s America’s Best Course You Can Play 2006, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, '12, '13
  • Golfweek’s Top 100 Modern Golf Courses - 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
  • Golfweek’s Best Residential Golf Courses 2006, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, '12, '13
Old Works- 3.5 Hours West toward Butte Montana
  • Montana's Number 1 course- GolfWeek
  • 2013 US Open Qualifier
  • 2011 GolfWeeks best courses you can play

You will not be Golf Starved in the area...lots of great golf, and a great golf shop called Mitchell Golf...great people, very good prices,and incredible service!!!

Powder Horn is pretty nice. I'm 100 miles from that one. Mitchell's golf shop is the best golf store I've ever been in. Great place.

There are times I forget how lucky I am, then I read a thread like this...

Thank God I live in Monterey...

Haha, We get by! I have to drive 300 miles to find decent sticks and to get fitted ones. That kinda sucks. But we have some great golf courses. It might take a while to get there but that makes them even better. I wouldn't mind spending some time in Monterey though.

There are times I forget how lucky I am, then I read a thread like this...

Thank God I live in Monterey...

:)

and all of us who live here in Montana, are glad people like living in populated dense areas...that way we can have big wide open spaces to enjoy, cuz at this elevation, slices really slice :)

you cannot beat the quality of life in Montana....having lived in LA (specifically Brentwood), Austin, Portland, Dallas etc. I would not take one location over Montana!!! The opportunities afforded, and life style you can afford for very little, it is unparalleled!! from a golf perspective...our CRAZY expensive private courses are $400/ Month...most very respectable private courses are $150-250/ Month (family memberships)...and the public courses are all nice enough to not have to worry about private if you dont want...

Haha, We get by! I have to drive 300 miles to find decent sticks and to get fitted ones. That kinda sucks. But we have some great golf courses. It might take a while to get there but that makes them even better. I wouldn't mind spending some time in Monterey though.

Have you played the Golf Club @ Devils Tower? play in a tournament there each year, really nice course!! in Hulet WY....

Have you played the Golf Club @ Devils Tower? play in a tournament there each year, really nice course!! in Hulet WY....

Yep. I'm actually a member there. I love it out there. It's always in great shape and never crowded. One of the best places to play in the area.

:)

and all of us who live here in Montana, are glad people like living in populated dense areas...that way we can have big wide open spaces to enjoy, cuz at this elevation, slices really slice :)

you cannot beat the quality of life in Montana....having lived in LA (specifically Brentwood), Austin, Portland, Dallas etc. I would not take one location over Montana!!! The opportunities afforded, and life style you can afford for very little, it is unparalleled!! from a golf perspective...our CRAZY expensive private courses are $400/ Month...most very respectable private courses are $150-250/ Month (family memberships)...and the public courses are all nice enough to not have to worry about private if you dont want...

Living in Monterey is about as crowded as I like to get.. No way I would ever want to live in a major city again... Traffic, crime, ect... You can keep it.

Great thing about living in Monterey is the locals get great prices to the courses. Tourists pay ~$100 a round at Black Horse and Pacific Grove Golf Links... I pay a fraction of that and even have a membership to Pacific Grove for $1200 a year.

There are also local specials on Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Del Monte ect from time to time, but the best thing is the weather, its always somewhere between 50-75 degrees...

Yep. I'm actually a member there. I love it out there. It's always in great shape and never crowded. One of the best places to play in the area.

Very cool!! Love the finishing hole...first year playing the tournament, our team lead told me to go ahead and hit the drive....landed dead center of the green, team on the green turned around and saluted, and waited on the green for us...I did not plan to drive into them....just caught it well....

for Mckeon, here is the pick from the tee box....took the pic from the middle tees as they drop off more and show the elevation change well...

@ Hosel,

what is the giant fan for on green of #10?

Back